What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
803E5A18-0338-43AB-BA4D-6C44359820AA.jpeg
Yesterday I waxed the wooden cask I had prepared (the Angels share was a bit too large) later today I'll sanitize it again, check for leaks then fill it.

Last edited:
It smelled great when I was preparing it, and that process seemed to wash most of the color and aroma away... So today I’m likely to top it off with some bourbon.
Awesome!! I moved during the fall and didn't care for my barrel like I should so now it has a pretty decent leak under one of the rungs. I got some paraffin wax and plann to rub it all over and hopefully seal it back up.

Probably going to get a starter going from some recently out of date Belgian saison yeast (2/8/19), wlp565. I have about 4 brews coming up before I will be able to use it, so it's best I grow it out a bit.

After a week of waiting....finally opened my email this morning to discover my lager won a 2nd place medal in the Cascade Cup! Woohoo so excited! And apparently it's going to the 2nd round of judging (if I'm reading it right). Brown beer did meh but I like it. Judges comments for the lager were quite nice, got an average 37 out of 50 so I'm happy.

Had a snow day today so I bottled my small batch stout (only 15 bottles), cleaned 5 kegs (been to busy to both brew and clean!), played around with a LODO dry hop process (been reading the other thread!) and just kinda tinkered.

I was going to make a small stovetop batch and glad I changed my mind since we lost power in the afternoon!

Have to put my Amber ale and Honey ale and everything else on the back burner. Had to have partial knee replacement yesterday. Hurts like hell! But when this pass', it won't hurt anymore lifting my mash tun with 20+ lbs of grist!
Sucks to need one but the partial replacement heals better and a bit quicker than the complete variety. It will be hell for 3-4 weeks and totally worth it!

Be diligent with your exercises and walk, walk, walk! Then rest with ice on the knee and a cold beer in the mug!

Sucks to need one but the partial replacement heals better and a bit quicker than the complete variety. It will be hell for 3-4 weeks and totally worth it!

Be diligent with your exercises and walk, walk, walk! Then rest with ice on the knee and a cold beer in the mug!
Yep..sucks. Thanks for the encouragement, I'm a retired DOD nurse and former Army medic..we make terrible patients but the wifey is keeping me in line! No brew for me, she watches the Igloo beer fridge like a hawk! Too many meds for alcohol.

Yep..sucks. Thanks for the encouragement, I'm a retired DOD nurse and former Army medic..we make terrible patients but the wifey is keeping me in line! No brew for me, she watches the Igloo beer fridge like a hawk! Too many meds for alcohol.
Don't mix booze and painkillers, you're gonna need that liver later!

A couple days ago we had our local club meeting with a guest speaker who's a brewer at Ommegang. I brought in my spontaneously fermented wild ale and he was very curious about the process I went through so I told him the whole story, and he liked the beer on top of it, so that made me pretty happy :).
Tonight planning to get a starter going and other preparations for brewing tomorrow!

Awesome!! I moved during the fall and didn't care for my barrel like I should so now it has a pretty decent leak under one of the rungs. I got some paraffin wax and plann to rub it all over and hopefully seal it back up.
My LHBS didn’t have barrel wax, so I went to a craft store and bought a pound of bee’s wax. Paraffin was less but I wanted to go the “natural” route. (it could be blended with paraffin-fake honey, fake wax maybe) the wood should be dry and the wax melted or at least warm and soft.

Back