What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Botted the Irish red and ky common w citra.
Brewing a fresh squished (fresh squeezed clone from Nb) to occupy the irish ale 1084 yeast cake until I get around to my wee heavy,80/-,60/- parti gyle in warmer weather

Fermenter.jpg

Watered my hop plants. Looks like the comet one is producing some cones that might be ready! I am brewing on Sunday. I guess I could pick the ripe ones and use them fresh, but still need to get a vacuum sealer to get ready to start storing them once more blooms come.
IMG_20190228_155003151_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20190228_154927742.jpeg

Got bottles soaking in oxyclean to have ready for tomorrow morning when I bottle my Cascade Cup entries (American Brown and International Lager), also turned the controller down to 46 on my latest WF lager; will sit there while WE ARE IN MAUI next week (NO I am not excited for this vacation, no not at all). And pulled the PRV on my Brut IPA that I'm tempted to send in as well; will have to rock n shake tonight to get it fully carbed but not sure yet if I'm going to enter it.

Damn proud of myself this year; last year's entry was a very poorly done Pliny clone that I should not have entered. The ones I have this year are much better, probably not winners, but will get decent scores. And with the WF lager ready to keg when we get home, plenty in the pipeline until I will absolutely have to brew the following weekend.

Bottles ready to go, entries paid, labels printed for entries. And BMBF soaking in sanitizer ready to go. And just pulled a small snifter of the lager I haven't touched in 2 weeks (brewed 1/16) to make sure it's still good....oh yeah. Crystal clear and delicious. Too lazy to take a pic, but it's the clearest lager I've had come out of my brewery. Also the first one that I made with malt I milled myself. Must say I'm happy with it, don't give a cr*p what the judges are going to say (probably a bit sweet but it's got a dry finish), it's MINE and it's good.

Hauled 5 gallons of an extract Irish red ale, and my first two gallons of all grain ales (1G us05 yeast, 1G kolsch) to the basement to drop temps. Bottling most of it tomorrow evening or Monday afternoon, but leaving the one gallon to sit on the kolsch yeast a few more weeks.

Got a new mill for my birthday last week, so today my wife and I broke it in by crushing 16lbs of grain using the hand crank. Not terrible, but time to start looking for a drill to power it.

I got a nice Ryobi corded drill at HD for less than $40 for my mill. I've got a cordless but the battery just can't take it. I hand cranked my first batch and said never again. I've got mine set up with a big hose clamp holding the trigger right where I need it, and plugged into a surge protector so I can turn it on and off with the switch. Now I just need to build a stand for it....

Yesterday bottled a batch of white stout and a one gallon batch of lime hard seltzer. Stout came in pretty much exactly where I wanted (OG 1.059 FG 1.020). I’m going to be patient but it is going to be hard not to sample one in under a week just to see how the coffee/chocolate/ vanilla is melding together.

Mashing in on my North German altbier. I also picked about half an ounce of fresh wet hops from my plant that were readym I'm going to use those to add to the flavoring hops along with the tettnang for the last 15 minutes of my boil since I don't have much. Still stoked my plant is productive though ! 1st year 4 months in.
IMG_20190303_140234357.jpeg
IMG_20190302_132458559_HDR.jpeg

Was that a partigyle? Or (more likely) two separate mashes? Looks awesome...

Pitched my yeast into 5.25 gallons of pale ale this morning. OG was 1.058, and I hope to get to 1.010-12.
Actually two different mashes! Congrats on the pale ale I'm sure it will be great! The German altbier was 1.056 Irish stout 1.048

Bought the ingredients to make my Bohemian Pils.

They were out of WLP800, so I grabbed 802.. Might finish a tad dryer..

Going to make a 12 gallon batch Monday, and will start the first stage of the starter tomorrow.

Brewed up a jalapeno amber today for the husband and a family friend who loves that style (I do NOT) but a brewday is a brewday. Also pulled the WF lager out of the ferment fridge to sit in the cold garage overnight before kegging tomorrow; should have done it today but I am TIRED after spending all day yesterday on a plane getting home, and going in to work this morning on a Saturday so Monday won't be a sh*tshow after boss doing my job for a week.

Back