What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being mostly retired I have 5 days off in a row so I can, if the mood strikes and the wife doesn't have a better idea, get quite a bit done. So, for the past two days I have been clearing out the area in my garage that is supposed to be my bar. That counts, right?
And today my SCR controller for the boil kettle arrived. I also ordered a second STC-1000.

Made a starter for the blonde ale I'll be brewing Friday afternoon. I also racked an IPA to a keg and put gas on it. It is @Remmy's recipe and smells awesome!

Got the first tap of four cleaned and hooked up to a beer in my basement bar. I may not have shelves or decor but I have stools to sit at and the beer flows freely...

I got my kettle upgrade in the mail. Finally going from 5 gallon to 8 gallon so I can boil full volume instead of topping up the fermenter.

Oh, and I also racked my Flanders Red to secondary with .75 ounces of house-toasted grapevine and 1.25 ounces of medium toast Hungarian oak, both soaked in a pint of Amontillado Sherry. Now for the long wait...

Pulled the last hydrometer sample of the Orange Coriander Wit I brewed last weekend. Still at 1.012 so will keg it up tomorrow. Taste is great, tangy with a nice sweet late aftertaste. I'm only getting a tiny hint of the allspice I added at flameout, hoping carbonation will push it up. First time I've used Pils as base malt, absolute lightest color beer to come out of my brewery. Off to the LHBS later today to buy another full bag of 2 row, helping my fellow assistant brew his first "small" batch tomorrow after we're done kegging.

Just finished mapping out the recipe and process for the beer I'll be doing in two weeks...a raspberry Golden ale. Ever since I started making fairly decent beers (after some really bad ones) my husband's favorite occupation has been scouting out styles he wants "us" to brew. I haven't done a fruit ale since last year so it's time. This one is going to be a bit pricey with the fruit (about 5lbs raspberries) so I'm hoping it turns out well. If I can convince him, may have him do a lot of the work so he can see what I go through on a brew day...his biggest contributions have been providing ideas and some heavy lifting. Also buying the false bottom I needed but didn't think we could afford. It's so wonderful to have a spouse that is really behind my passion.

Drilled a hole in my finger with a power drill and a Phillips #2 bit. Was in the process of running 3/4 PEX to the driveway for brewing water + cooling, to replace the inadequate 1/2 line that takes 70 minutes to cool a beer below 80 degrees.

Totally counts. Totally worth it. Just make sure you do something that brings your bar closer to reality each day! It's easy to get discouraged.

It was easier to get discouraged when I couldn't yet see the floor. The next big step is adding more joists(?) to support the "attic" floor and putting the insulation and sheetrock up for the ceiling.
However, today I ordered silicone hose and a pump for the ebrewery... yesterday I got a new 4500 watt element for the HLT and another Inkbird STC-1000 came in the mail.

Being mostly retired I have 5 days off in a row so I can, if the mood strikes and the wife doesn't have a better idea, get quite a bit done. So, for the past two days I have been clearing out the area in my garage that is supposed to be my bar. That counts, right?
And today my SCR controller for the boil kettle arrived. I also ordered a second STC-1000.

Retired Homebrewers of America, Unite! We have nothing to lose but our... uh...

I guess we have nothing to lose...

Ow! Soak it in some homebrew and then have a glass of hydrogen peroxide... wait -- reverse that.

Unfortunately due to the unexpected perforation I didn't get my keezer collar put together and my homebrew is unreachable. Did manage to soak the injury in some Founder's Breakfast Stout... from the inside, that is. :drunk:

I ordered more "stuff". A 120mm fan, a filter and grille for it, a panel mount thermometer,
and a Rex C100 controller kit. I'm gonna need a bigger case....

Ar 12:49 am I guess it's another day...I just ordered a contactor. It'll be used to shut off the 220 inside the control box.

Kegged the kitchen sink Amber Ale making room in a fermenter for an Oktoberfest brew Sat.

took a gravity sample of my munich helles and used the opportunity to swap out my blowoff tubes for air locks. cleaned the blowoff tubes, caps and collection jar.

sample tastes pretty good but at 1.030, has a way to go...

Kegged an American Amber and an ESB (same recipe, different yeast). I'm also in the midst of brewing a 9 gallon batch of a Wee Heavy.

So far I have spent a large portion of the day working on the control box project. Plan to spend at least a couple more hours on it before calling it a night.

Not today but yesterday...we were down in Portland for the Brewfest, after breakfast got to make the trip to Powell's City of Books (yes the original store). I had NO IDEA there were SO MANY books on home brewing!! I managed to contain myself and only bought the 4th edition of How to Brew...nice to have the paper version at last. Been reading it all day.

Spent another several hours on wiring the control box today. Had to take a three-hour break to help my brother change the impeller in an outboard motor and then dinner. I'm really hoping that I can finish this build tomorrow, which I should be able to do because all that's left is the 12-volt control wiring.

Brewed my first beer in 6 months. It didn't go well

IMG_20170801_142048.jpg

Back