What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big day! unpacked my father's day gift (Grainfather!!!)

then put a big order in to Ontariobeerkegs.com for the stuff needed to turn my freezer into a 4-tap keezer.

then ordered a fastfermenter and a 43" TV from costco.ca.

Expensive day, but the "Daddy Daycare Brewery" in the basement will be open for business in a week or so!

Started putting new plywood subfloor down in the brew shed under construction. Need to move that pile of steel then finish that back row. Yes I should have offset the sheets 4' in an overlap pattern but this is an outdoor shed, not a fancy kitchen! Have the new ceiling joists up also.

IMG_20170620_175858764_zps6nmxnrqd.jpg

I consumed a few pints from my kegs. Need to free up a keg soon otherwise I'll need to bottle what's left or god forbid I dump it. I have a clone of Fresh Squeezed IPA in the fermentation chamber.

I traded beers the otger day with my behind neighbors. Found out they brew and did a swap. I need to drink it. Right now sounds like a great time for that.

Order the equipment to install 3 Intertap SS Flow Control Faucets and additional parts to finish my kegerator build. Now I need to get the ice & water dispenser cut out and a board installed for the faucets.

Poured some gelatin in the vanilla cream ale I have in one of the fermentation chambers. I'll probably bottle that sunday. With that chamber cleared I'll be able to clean it out and properly bypass the internal thermostat on it. Not having the fridge's temperature probe sticking out of the door seal is bound to improve it's performance somewhat.

Cleaned a keg and the kegerator line associated with it.
I also replaced the pressure gauge on my uKeg. It crapped out after two fills but uKeg was very helpful and sent me a free replacement.

Weighed out the grain bill for Yoopers pale ale. Didn't have a half lb of C20 so I used 4oz each of C30 and carapils.

Later I will bottle my cream of three crops and all the steps that entails.

Checked the FG on my American Amber Ale. If it's the same Tues I'll keg and cold crash. The plan is to get it on gas Thurs/Fri and carbed by the 3rd.

Bought a 2x10 for the collar of my keezer which I'll put together this week. My 3-tap tower should be here during the first half of the week. I want to serve from the keezer Friday night. It's obviously a down and dirty build.

i dry hoped a Dipa in the keg and a Saison in the fermentor. I should have two kegs emptying fairly soon so I'm getting those ready to go on. 2oz mosaic in the saison 1.5oz each mosaic and gargoyle in the DIPA.

New day, new thing for beer I just kegged 5 Gallons of a scottish ale I did. I threw 3oz of coffee bean in there for fun too.

Finally tapped my Munich Dunkel (lager) that has been cold lagering for 10 weeks now. Wow! It's a malt bomb like I wanted. Beautiful bread crust notes, rich and malty, and very clean fermentation with no sulfur or flaws at all! Totally happy and worth the long wait. This will be on tap with a nice Blonde Ale for our July 4th party!

John

I got a tad upset today. When I ordered the tower the delivery was to be sometime between last Thursday and tomorrow... so today, early this morning, I got an email telling me that they had to return their stock to their supplier and it would be 5-10 days before they have more stock. They asked if that was a problem! I advised them that it was indeed a problem because now I have no way to dispense beer and the other drinks from my kegs.
Tonight I ordered picnic taps. Rather inelegant, but they'll do in a pinch.

Tweaked a Mexican lager recipe to something a bit less huge, given that I will add agave nectar at flameout.

It still comes in above all specs (abv%, srm, ibu's, etc). Lol!

I made my first ever starter for liquid yeast and stopped by my local hop farm to pick up some goodies for tomorrows attempt at a Belgian IPA. I love the 4th of July weekend :)

And just now I poured out a glass and a half hoping to blow some sludge out of the bottom of the keg ( It has been at 32 degrees since Tuesday evening). Then I hooked up the gas, pumped up the pressure, turned the temp up to 35, tested for leaks and closed the lid on the freezer. I plan to look at it before work tomorrow to make sure there are no leaks, and then tomorrow night test to see if it has carbed up. I want to serve it Saturday so I hope it carbs...I really don't want to shake or roll it because I know there is a lot of sediment because I did a sloppy job transferring it to the keg.

Back