What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. Drew the first (although not quite completely carbed) pint of my Raspberry ale (delicious!), and decanted some slurry that I'm going to use for my very first yeast starter. I've used slurry in the past, but my last experience with it (note to self: DATE the damn slurry jars) left me with a VERY bad taste in my mouth (to the extent that the beer I made with it is getting a burial at sea). I saved some wort from my last batch and will see what happens. Since my next brew day is this Saturday, if it doesn't work the way I hope it will, I'll have time to run and get some fresh yeast. But I hope it does.

Pulled the blow-off tube on my Tripel. Day 5 of fermentation and the fermenter sugar additions kept this thing pushing krausen out the BO tube until last night. Fermentation is still VERY active with the Starsan solution in the airlock foaming all over. This thing is a beast (WLP 550, Omega Belgian A) for fermentation and I kept it low at 68° for the first 4 days. It's rising to 76° and I might let it go higher.

Did the funnest part: Cleaned kegs.

20838382_464515343920041_4963743933629726720_n.jpg

Though that said, I don't actually "clean" them. I just disassemble and soak for ~48 hours in Oxiclean Free, one scoop per keg, then rinse. No scrubbing required. Simple.

Kal

Cleaned out a couple of fermenters that somehow got missed (read: too lazy after kegging to get them done) and scrubbed out the 12 gallon kettle to be ready for Saturday brew day. Oh, and drank some.

Installed my new Intertap Flow Control SS faucets, shanks, drip tray and custom tap handles yesterday. Today I need to insulate the back of the board, install the lines, run cleaner and sanitizer through them. Then I can hook them up to the kegs and move away from the picnic taps. WOOHOO

IMG_9462.jpg

Brewed a Rye IPA using a yeast starter for the first time. Been worrying it wouldn't take off, just took a tiny peek and krausen is starting and it smells wonderful. So since there was still a bit of yeast in the jug, added some more wort to it and started it up again. I think I'm on to something here. Also cleaned everything up to be ready for next brew day, whenever that is...

Brewed a Cream Ale today to quaff after cutting the grass in this killer heat! Brew day went smooth as well as clean up! I'm getting faster with my cleaning and breaking down regimen!

John

Actually last night but bottled the ESB that I had brewed a little while ago. I have been brewing 10 gallon batches lately. Keg 5 gallons of it for myself. The other 5 gallons goes to buddies. Normally they bottle it but couldn't make it out...So I bit the bullet for them. So glad I went to kegging a long while ago...

Cobbled together a recipe for a porter that's going to be smoked, oaked and peppered. Also tweaked an English brown ale recipe.

Updated my notes and gloated over the fermenter I filled yesterday. And shook up the new yeast starter I did with the dregs left from the last one.

Finally brewed my Stone brewery pale ale clone, although I'm not sure if it qualifies as a clone exactly when I'm following the recipe put out by the brewery itself. Bottled my mosaic hop experiment. Smells and tastes pretty good at this point. Transferred my strawberry blonde ale to tertiary, where it'll stay for two more weeks before bottling. That one also tastes promising right now.

Just spent a very sweaty 45 minutes making the picnic tap & extra gas line to take with us to Idaho this week. Both local hardware stores didn't have the barbs I needed for the quick connects (big surprise) and I don't have time to run to the LHBS, so I had to cannibalize one of my kegerator taps to get the barbs. Tested both lines, no leaks, and I'm bringing everything I could possibly need to fix it if the need arises. I'll hit up the LHBS when I get home so I can keep these set up for next time I feel the need to drag a keg somewhere other than home. Also just got a call from my brewery boss, a few weeks ago me and the other guy that works with us brewed 10 gallons of his own recipe, using my yeast. Boss desperately wanted to know what yeast it was...told him it was a mix of Belgian Wit and American Ale. I haven't tasted it yet but apparently the beer it made was spectacular, and he saved all of the yeast which will now be his "house" yeast. Proud girl here.

I rescued a past expiration date kit from the local hardware store. It is a Mangrove Jack's session kit. It is meant to be mixed with sugar/dextrose to bring up the fermentable for 5 gallons, but since I brew half batches the syrup alone will do the trick.

Been moving away from the extract kits and going with BIAB, but for 10 bucks I will give it a go.

Last night I learnt just how important it is to account for FG when filling your kegs by weight.
I also removed some beer filled gas lines from the kegerator.

Today I got my CO2 refilled.

Swore a little in there somewhere, but feeling better now.

Getting all things ready to bottle two batches of beer, a wee heavy and a dark mild. Then I have to get some grains ground for a Sunday brew session.

Ordered another wilserbag and pulley for the kettle I'm predicting that I'll get for my birthday. I'll put the pulley to use much earlier with my current bag though. Gotta go out and install a hook to suspend it with sometime before next Sunday, which I think is going to be my next brew day.

Made it to Boise on Wednesday. Rehearsal dinner for our daughter's wedding is tonight, and it's my Orange Wit's big day. Of course there had to be issues....husband accidentally yanked the floss holding the orange peel bag and messed up the seal on the lid...got that fixed after a quick trip to HomeBrewStuff in Garden City. Then this morning, doing the final check before tonight, the damn thing wouldn't pour. Had to take off the beer out post and the poppet was clogged. Good thing this stuff should be all drunk tonight otherwise with all the messing about I've done it would be oxidized as h**l. Still tastes great, now only need to get more ice (we've gone through 12 bags so far) and some salt (should have done that in the first place). Letting it get carbed back up now. At least this is a learning experience....

Weighted out 8.5 ounces of home grown Chinook hops. Packaged them in 1oz food saver bags and placed them in the chest freezer. I will be cutting down the last run of Chinook hops and start drying them later today.

Kegged 11 gallons of my house ale, weighed up stuff for a low end IPA(going to come in on the low end of the IPA bitter scale) for brewing this weekend. Just a 5 gallon batch because none of my friends like IPA's...

Building a starter for my English pale ale, going to a tasting at my lhbs where I will grind my grains for tomorrow's brew session.

Then I have to bottle two batches, a dark mild and a wee heavy. My, that is a busy weekend!

Got my frame and parts back from powder coating, started the final assembly. Enjoyed a frosty Red trolley ale or two, while working on the beast.

20170826_131724.jpg

Visited a fairly new craft brewery east of Atlanta with my wife and daughter.
Oconee Brewing in Greensboro, Ga.
Really terrific setup for a start up and great beer, too. Everything from a Kolsch to y Dunkle w/ an IPA plus a Habenero IPA.
Brought home a full uKeg of the last as it was the favorite of the ladies.if you're within a reasonable distance it's definitely worth trip.

Switched out all my cam lock fittings to QDs, 10 hoses plus 18 male fittings on the rig. Put together and tested my keg washer with the new pump, xferred 10 gals of Hopwork Orange to kegs for crashing, cleaned kegs, found i could also clean the 14g conical with the keg cleaner... yay. Made a starter for a lime Hefeweizen, dont look like ill actually get to brew it today, going to have to sit in the fridge till next Sat.

Not all today but:

Bottled +20L of Muntons highland heavy ale, cleaned closer to a hundred bottles, washed two fermenters and the boil kettle as well as a bunch of other tools like gravity meters, siphons etc. bought boxes to store the bottles, boxed em, cleaned a good portion of the garage, drew outlines for a 65L stainless sink to be fitted into the side table so I can instantly wash bottles as they get emptied and avoid the fuzz bottles I've been scrubbing my knuckles red. Come tuesday the wife will be taking the kids to my moms for a night so planning to start a double-boil brew day as soon as I get home from work.

Time to get back into this fine hobby after a three month hiatus.

Bottled both my wee heavy and the dark mild that I brewed two weeks ago. Got over 2 cases of each.

Brewed a new recipe liberally taken from an English pale ale. Been busy since about 8 am.

Finally got through the kid's wedding this last Saturday. My Orange Coriander Wit was a big hit with everyone at the rehearsal, 5 gallon keg was GONE in less than 4 hours. Had a few people asking "got another one?". Happy it went over well, but also kinda disappointed that it's all gone. Today when we got home I dry hopped my Roadblock Rye IPA...was a little worried about leaving it the 5 days we were gone, but it's none the worse and will be ready to keg later this week. Whew.

Ordered a new flat top stove so I can brew again, gf sold her house and I was using her stove to this point. Can't wait to get my new stove and start making beer again! :D

CO2 transferred my latest AG batch of New Albion Ale from secondary to kegs. Put in to cold crash before carbing.
Cleaned carboys and transfer equipment.

Put every pot n pan ready onto the garage tables and assembled the gas burner under the cooker hood so that as soon as I get home from work tomorrow I can just start heating up water right away.

Oh, and sawed a big hole into the side table for the sink. Just need to get the drain assy and the pipe fittings for the faucet.

Back