What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walked into beer distributor in Pennsylvania and bought a six pack!

PA recently lifted its tight laws on selling beer where you could only buy it by the case. Today is the first day you can buy six packs and fill growlers at distributors.

OMG - The last time I posted to this thread was four years ago! I won't try to catch you up, but things have been pretty busy lately as I ready myself for electric brewing.
Nothing huge today because some of the more fun stuff happened over the weekend when I installed a HERMS coil in my HLT. However, today I did receive a ThermoPen in the mail and am excited about finally having a thermometer that I can trust.

Yesterday I had an unsuccessful trip to the LHBS... No light DME! Finished the woodwork on my kegerator apart from painting, kegged a pale ale with a stupid amount of trub left behind. About 3l of sludge from a 12l batch.

Bought ingredients for my IPA. Decided I should start prepping the equipment tonight. Grabbed my boil kettle and thought about whether or not I should take apart my weldless fittings and clean everything. Nah, I thought. The boil will kill everything. One look inside my ball valve and I almost puked. Oxiclean and star san soaking as we speak. I think the gunk is gone. Will always tear down my BK from now on.

Just tapped the keg of a new Saison recipe I tried. I was underwhelmed when I tasted it while kegging, but now that it is carbed and ready it is delicious. Sterling hops really bring out a great lemon flavor from the 3711. Its an easy drinker with a nice lemon kick.

Also milled the grain for my brew tomorrow. Got a sack of malt from a local malt house and I'm giving it a try with a SMaSH. It is the best smelling 2-row I've ever smelled so I have high hopes for it.

Reorganizing bottles and my beer fridge. I have about two batches worth of bottles that need to be filled. Problem is my current two batches won't be ready to bottle for 4 & 6 weeks, respectively. By then I can have a 3rd batch in the bottle and ready, and also keep the same amount of bottles free. I had to "science the sh$t outta" this, just like Mark Watney.

And I have to reorganize my yeast storage as it is not able to fit in it's space any longer.

Seeing signs of fermentation in this small 1gal batch, using yeast harvested from Allagash and I'm washing bottles.

image.jpeg

Bottled a peach oolong saison yesterday.

Transferring a raspberry sour for a final aging step with cognac oak, then putting another sour onto the raspberry sludge, and brewing a base sour to put into the mother carboy.

View attachment 1485484818203.jpg

I have various lagers, a stout and a porter on tap. Nothing hoppy.

So I went out and got some Hopslam and PseudoSue.

Yeahhh reckon I had itchy pockets today. The only thing that concerns me with the order is that spike brewing tells me that a 1/2" recirc port will be large enough to properly whirlpool. I guess we'll see. As they say, the proof of the pudding's in the eating.

Bottled my Pink IPA..FG sample tasted wonderful, can't wait to see what it tastes like after carbing..BTW, FG was 1.018 after an OG of 1.058

Pitched yeast in my version of Da Yooper's pale ale. If I get off in time I will bring my Westy 12 clone down to 50° for 40 days.

Back