What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a partial mash recipe dialed in for a first attempt at a dunkelweizen. Also ordered ingredients for said recipe. Should be brewing this weekend. :ban:

Kegged my latest IPA in hopes it would taste better after carbing....not. Going to dump it. Sour as all hell. On the plus side, stopped at Big Lots and picked up a digital thermometer with a long probe to better manage mash temp for the brewing this Sunday. Researching building a false bottom for my new (to me) mash tun that used to be an extract barrel as well.

Brewed a 6g AG batch of my Smoked Rye IPA. Nailed the numbers.
It's sitting in my ferm chamber warming to 66°F & I'll oxygenate & pitch w/ Denny's Favorite

Cleaned a kicked keg. Then cleaned my kegerator beer line. Just tapped my bourbon vanilla stout for the holidays. Cheers!

what I did for beer today...

Doughed in around 10am, planned a 90min mash, maxed out my mash tun so I had to steep some grain separately. As I am about to collect the first runnings I find I have to deal with a stuck sparge while I've got other stuff going on, so that took a long time. Second runnings also gave me a stuck sparge. Third runnings actually went ok. 90 minute boil in the dark because stuck sparges, and throw in below freezing temps, with a very full kettle. I simultaneously had my phone and flashlight fail while I realized my sprayer full of water was frozen, while I was at risk of a boil-over.

Feel asleep waiting for the wort to chill, even though it had been outside in the snow for an hour and a half it was still hotter than heck so I stuck it in the sink with cold water. I finally wake up at 2:30am, transfer, pitch yeast, start aerating (second time I've used the aeration system, I think it was originally designed to be for an aquarium) only to find that I had filled up the carboy to the point that aerating like that would cause it to foam over (despite adding some fermcap-S), so I spend a few minutes just plugging it in and unplugging it, trying not to make a mess. I make a half-donkey'd effort to clean up, and now it is about 4:30am.

This BDSA better be freakin' awesome. Wyeast 3822PC, OG 1.105, 3gallons. I believe it was based on Jamil's recipe in BCS, but on the high end for IBUs because I'm aging this thing as best I can.

Yesterday: 2kegs, 2 blonde's, and a I don't know. Your think'in 2 kegs, 2 blonde's, what a man, but you understand 2 kegs and "I don't know": tank:. It's not like that! Repaired 2 kegs, brewed 2 gal extract (blonde), 2 gal partial mash (blonde) and 5 gal AG kit, (1st BIAB) the stuff in the kit and the instructions didn't match, so I kinda winged it, we'll see.:)

Bottled 5 gal of milk stout. My first AG stout recipe. Used S-04 but only reached 1.022 FG (OG 1.054) Need to do a little research on this

The GOOD: I kegged my second ever keg of beer. I'm STILL smiling about how much better than bottling it is. It's purged and in the kegerator, bedded down for a couple weeks of carbing and conditioning.

The BAD: when pulling a celebratory quaff from my FIRST ever keg, it made a dreadful gurgling noise. Much to my dismay, I think I kicked my first ever homebrewed keg! ...and, a full two weeks before the next one will be ready! :mad:...:( ... ;)

I swapped out my 9% IPA keg for a 4% Pacific ale, should be less falling over this christmas, and I can put the IPA back when the guests are gone. :tank:

Did some painting on the new kegerator. My 8 year old suggested I put a secret tap in the back for beers that I don't want others to drink. :rockin:

Quick carbed a half batch of root beer that I make every year for my nieces. It's a half full keg, so it's really easy: chill, hook up to 25 psi and charge, disconnect and shake the bejeebers out of it, reconnect the gas, repeat. Fully carbed in 5 minutes.

I also taste tested my schwartzbier that has been lagering for about a month. It's perfect, but it looks exactly like root beer so let's keep our glasses straight, shall we?

Moved my Smoked Rye IPA to secondary for dry hop w/ 3 oz Simcoe, cleaned the carboys & transfer equipment.
Put the 2nd keg of my Cappuccino Stout on CO2 for carbing

Finally checked the FG of the stout I brewed at Thanksgiving, hit my number spot on.

Cold brewed coffee which will be added to the keg today.

Merry Christmas, you filthy animals!

Weighed out grain for the next two brews on my list. Last night I tasted my new batch of nut brown ale vs a commercial version (Messiah Nut Brown Ale). Color was a couple srm points lighter on mine and the commercial version was a tad richer in maltiness. Other than that they were extremely similar! I was happy.

Ordered "a few" books:

Modern Homebrew Recipes: Exploring Styles and Contemporary Techniques

Brewing Better Beer: Master Lesson for Advanced Homeowners

IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale

Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers

For The Love of Hops: The Practical Guide to Aroma, Bitterness and the Culture of Hops

Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation

Malt: A Practical Guide from Field to Brewhouse

I had to move inside the garage to brew today, 10 mph wind was too much for the burner to handle.:mug:

Added all the grain, hops, and yeast from all the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles to a spreadsheet so I can do a search with the ingredients I have on hand to see what I can brew with those ingredients. By doing that I figure my next brew will be an 80/- because I have 99% of what I need. Cheers!

For Hogmanay party on Saturday:

Drank a couple of pints of a saison to empty a keg.
Kegged 5 gallons of my "Vader's Lament" dark IPA & decided to give an extra dry hop in the keg.
Threw in some frozen blueberries/strawberries/raspberries (in a sanitized bag) into half a keg of bland but fine American wheat.

1. Yeast starter/over build to save some yeast.
2. De-labeled and cleaned some bottles.
3. Setting up my brew stuff in the garage to brew hopefully later tonight or sometime tomorrow.
4. Crockpot dinner so I don't have a big dinner to make and clean up before brewing. Trying to think ahead.

Pressure canned about 5L of starter wort in varying sizes of mason jars and made up some new agar slants to re-slant my yeast collection.

Back