What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I kegged my latest batch, 5 gal of Hoppy Dank Amber. Then Dry hopped in the keg, with NZ Motueka, NZ Nelson Sauvin, and Simcoe. I also saved some of the yeast(WLP090), for my upcoming batch.

Gradually working my way through a triple decoction mash for a Roggenbier. I'll be wrapping up an 8 hour brew day in the wee hours of the morning when it's all said and done.

Finished cleaning and putting away (most) gear from the last brew day. Amazed by PBW. It was the first time I used it, and given time it just peeled off the burnt bits on the bottom of the kettle. I think I'll use it to clean the stovetop, too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390663901.463810.jpg
Bottled my 3 gal batch of ris. This is going to be a good one.

Bottled from the primary. Kids awake and causing havoc, husband at work, so all on my own. Liberating knowing I can do it. Shame I don't make money for all the work I do. Oh well. I get paid in kiddie hugs and beer. :) best pay ever.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

1390674056959.jpg

1390674069351.jpg

Patiently waiting and counting hours until tomorrow night when I can start cold conditioning my double jack clone. Can't wait to see this beer clear, there was so much hop and yeast in it when i took the gravity that it looked like swamp water.

Kegged my first ever lager and popped the keg into the fridge. I'll try my best to forget about it for 4-6 weeks.

Cold crashing a Black IPA, made room in the basement for equipment, checked gravity on a messed up Fat Tire clone. Hoping for another couple points, but the yeast had to sit for a week at 50° while I was out of town.

The mess up was a bad calculation of boil to batch volume OG was just under .03 and it' snow down to .01. Still has flavor, and my wife liked the gravity sample she tasted. In honor of the low ABV I'm calling this near beer "Thin Tire."

In the middle of bottling two batches of beer. Best thing was I had 9 bombers so the first batch went by pretty fast. Then I have to clean more bottles and growlers that were dropped off in a bag. I appreciate my neighbor for doing that, but the bottles are visibly crusty and they all smell terrible. I didn't want to reject them and the growlers will come in handy if I start kegging, but I'm not looking forward to cleaning them.

Picked up the ingredients for 2 more batches of blonde at the lhbs, and gotta delabel the 2 cases sitting in the basement sink soaking in oxyclean so that I can brew later :D

With my pm beers getting more expensive with all the hops,grains & liquid yeasts,not to mentiontaking all day,I decided to look for cheap alternatives online. A Cooper's OS Lager can is now $26 that I used to use as a base for AE ales. The Cheapest place that still has it is Ebay...from Romania for $30 shipped. Back to the drawing board...Got 3 fermenters I wanna fill for what a retiree can afford.

Transferred my experimental ginger wheat to a clearing vessel, tasted alright for barely having finished fermenting. Good flavour with a little heat, looks like it will work out nicely in the end.

Bottled a generic pale ale canned kit. After a little break and some food it looks like I'll be making a nut brown can kit. I'd like to say that now I have resources for AG brewing it will be the last, but I suspect these easy kits that got me into homebrew will always have a special place in my heart. Or emergency pipeline replenishment.

Got some help from the little man delabeling 50+ bottles, and took all of 20 minutes. Cheers to help! I told him to skip the harder bottles if he didn't want to and he said "that's not what cub scouts do" and kept on doing them haha

1390694911718.jpg

Wish I had a Cub Scout to help delabel! :) today was bottling and labeling for my dunkelweizen. Good day! Tastes great precarb.

With my pm beers getting more expensive with all the hops,grains & liquid yeasts,not to mentiontaking all day,I decided to look for cheap alternatives online. A Cooper's OS Lager can is now $26 that I used to use as a base for AE ales. The Cheapest place that still has it is Ebay...from Romania for $30 shipped. Back to the drawing board...Got 3 fermenters I wanna fill for what a retiree can afford.

I was doing a lot of 5 gal pm batches but I decided to switch to 3 gal all grain which allows me to use the same equipment for anything that's in the 6.5% or less range.

Just finished making a starter for my Surly Abrasive clone tomorrow. Forgot to pull the yeast out of the fridge so I'm letting it warm a bit before pitching it. I usually use White Labs, but the shop I went to today (only because my normal shop doesn't carry Golden Promise) only carries Wyeast, so I have a question for the Wyeast folks. Do you smack it for the starter? I was thinking of not smacking it and saving the nutrient pack for the brew.

Spent 10 hours brewing Northern Brewer's Irish Red Ale. Basically couple things went wrong which prolonged the brew session, but the worst was my BK drain got clog which forced me to pull out my IC chiller. Brought it down to 100F, drained it into the carboy and capped it. Now it's sitting in the garage, waiting for it to come down to 60F. Who knows how this is going to turn out, or if it's going to be infected. :mug:

Just finished making a starter for my Surly Abrasive clone tomorrow. Forgot to pull the yeast out of the fridge so I'm letting it warm a bit before pitching it. I usually use White Labs, but the shop I went to today (only because my normal shop doesn't carry Golden Promise) only carries Wyeast, so I have a question for the Wyeast folks. Do you smack it for the starter? I was thinking of not smacking it and saving the nutrient pack for the brew.

Smacking it let's you know if the yeast is viable. The nutrient doesn't replace the starter, but if the bag doesn't inflate, you can probably exchange it for a replacement.

44 stubbys are put away as well as 7 bombers, a batch nearly done chilling, and ready to do some more for beer tomorrow!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Smacking it let's you know if the yeast is viable. The nutrient doesn't replace the starter, but if the bag doesn't inflate, you can probably exchange it for a replacement.

What I meant was, do you smack it before you pitch the yeast to starter? I know that the smack pack doesn't replace the starter, hence me doing a starter in the first place. With no replies by the time I was ready to pitch, I decided to pitch just the yeast and add the nutrient pack in the final minutes of the boil tomorrow.

What I meant was, do you smack it before you pitch the yeast to starter? I know that the smack pack doesn't replace the starter, hence me doing a starter in the first place. With no replies by the time I was ready to pitch, I decided to pitch just the yeast and add the nutrient pack in the final minutes of the boil tomorrow.

I smack it. I guess because i like the yeast to start off with a good breakfast before they go to work on the starter. I also have wyeast nutrient that i add a small amount at the end of each boil.

And do you have a beef with wyeast? I ask because you have a few other preferences before using them.

I smack it. I guess because i like the yeast to start off with a good breakfast before they go to work on the starter. I also have wyeast nutrient that i add a small amount at the end of each boil.

And do you have a beef with wyeast? I ask because you have a few other preferences before using them.

No beef with Wyeast. I just used White Labs when I first started because my shop's Wyeast selection was lacking and it stuck. Normally, though, unless I need a specific yeast that doesn't come in dry form, I'll use dry because it's cheaper, easier and has a higher cell count for a single packet.

Pretty boring day for me, I sure get antsy on non-brew/bottle/clean-up days now that I have gotten into this. Just checked the FG on my Hefeweizen and it is sitting at 1.012, just quit bubbling yesterday after five days in the fermenter. One more week and will check again.

Also looking into my options of a wort chiller and coming up with an optimal design, which sadly is kind of fun for me since I work on heat exchangers. Really considering scavenging fin/tube bits from work and sending a chiller through the braze furnace :) Only problem I have come up with so far is joining the stainless to copper fittings... Maybe there are stainless fittings available on the market?....hmmm

Packed up 2 different brews for a competition. I know they wont win anything but I need to know what this same off-flavor im getting is!

Started cleaning 2 new cornies I picked up this week. Still need to replace the o rings but everything else is in pretty good shape

Aren't there both written and pictoral instructions on the wyeast package?:confused:

Aren't there both written and pictoral instructions on the wyeast package?:confused:

Yes, but a smack pack is designed for direct pitch to 5 gallons of wort, not for a starter. I wasn't sure if it was better to save the nutrient pack for the big wort or use it per the instructions for the starter. I don't normally use Wyeast.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Home Brew mobile app

I normally toss the nutrient pack in with the starter. I use additional nutrients in both the starter and the full batch anyway.

Took my first whack at top cropping to repitch from Friday's Roggenbier into today's Weizenbock. That was REALLY easy to do.

I normally toss the nutrient pack in with the starter. I use additional nutrients in both the starter and the full batch anyway.

Took my first whack at top cropping to repitch from Friday's Roggenbier into today's Weizenbock. That was REALLY easy to do.

I do the same. Did you just sanitize a ladle and container and scoop some
Out? It seems like it could be incredibly simple and a great idea. Howd it go?

Just got done bottling 3 gallons of earl grey ipa... and it has some great notes from the earl grey. Stoked about this one :)

Also getting a parts list for a counter flow chiller

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Pulled the trigger on a reconditioned 5lb CO2 bottle from Beverage Elements Not bad for 33 bucks. I know I could get a 20 for $40 but I really do not have the need/space for a 20.

Latest posts

Back