What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just whipped out a batch of the BYO Hill Farmstead "Everett" clone. Tasted pretty sexy going into the fermenter. Upped the bill to a 6 gallon batch and hit my numbers with a point or 2 to spare.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390867232.641269.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390867255.943283.jpg

Checked the gravity on two beers, one in secondary and one in primary then assembled my new 10gal mash tun... The cooler and false bottom came in today and fittings on Saturday... Waiting on the tubing I forgot to order originally to come in later this week to finish up. Breaking it in Sunday with an IPA.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Home Brew mobile app

Made a half batch of JAOM but with a lemon, so it's a half JALM just for fun in a growler

Went to the lhbs and picked up a few things. And got ingredients to brew.. going to pitch with dry yeast for the first time

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Just ordered a honey ale extract kit and all grain ingredients for my first all grain IPA attempt! A clone of two hearted ale... I can hardly wait!! Should arrive by 2/4/14.

Cleaned a bucket of bottles and then got another bucket's worth soaking. Peeked in on my lambic-style beer that has been slowly chugging since last Monday. All is good in the world :)

Ordered myself a blade scale finally and digital thermometer from an old sears gift card I found in my wallet. The blade scale is good for 2lbs pretty much the thermometer is the cheapest I could find to have no balance on the card lol 6 bucks hope it does the trick

got it all for 32 bucks shipped to my door

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391034912.316571.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391035066.285583.jpg

Tasted the first brew of the year. This is a light, clear, and refreshing honey lager.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391052057.748216.jpg

The big batch of Mead is now quiet, the little JALM is bubbling quietly, the ESB is bubble furiously, the Honey Lager is going down easy.

Gave a bomber to my boss, who's a professional brewer on nights and weekends, for feedback on my amber. I need some criticism before I enter my first competition this summer.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

Bottled 5 gallons of an imperial
Stout. Kegged 5 gallons of a simcoe/columbus IPA and washed the yeast cake from my IPA into 4 jars worth of 1056. First time washing
Yeast. Looks like i did OK.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391088211.292775.jpg

Ordered myself a blade scale finally and digital thermometer from an old sears gift card I found in my wallet. The blade scale is good for 2lbs pretty much the thermometer is the cheapest I could find to have no balance on the card lol 6 bucks hope it does the trick

got it all for 32 bucks shipped to my door

Looks like the same thermometer I use. Works pretty well. Got mine for like $2 on amazon, straight from china.

Not so much as why I did for beer today, but what I'm going to be doing for beer today. Here in about 45 minutes ill be headed to the local brew pub and drinking the new IPA that was tapped the other. Lookin forward to it. Got butterflies in my stomach.

Finally starting my starter so I have a starter to start my brew this Saturday. I really need to start starting my starters earlier so that I can get a head start and not have to worry about starting my starters too late and feeling like I have an inadequate starter for the job.

Tasted the first brew of the year. This is a light, clear, and refreshing honey lager.

The big batch of Mead is now quiet, the little JALM is bubbling quietly, the ESB is bubble furiously, the Honey Lager is going down easy.

Now a honey lager sounds good! Send me a few!

Finally starting my starter so I have a starter to start my brew this Saturday. I really need to start starting my starters earlier so that I can get a head start and not have to worry about starting my starters too late and feeling like I have an inadequate starter for the job.

I have found that starting my starters the night before brew day has yielded the best results. Pitching a starter at high kreusen, IMO, is the optimal time since the yeast are the most active and ready to ferment.

Today I am bottling my first Irish stout attempt - big day being Irish! Let you know in three weeks how it goes!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

10 pounds pale malt
12oz crystal 60
8oz crystal 80
4oz chocolate malt
2oz black malt

1oz EKG 60min
1 oz liberty 30 min
1 oz Willamette 5 min
Safeale us 04
Mash at 153' for 60 min

Being retired & tomorrow is the 1st,they had to pay me today. It's +34F today & about the same tomorow,so I'll be heading out for some good beers in a while when we go shopping/bill paying. Now if I could just work in some brewing stuff...

I filled up a CO2 tank, and began cold crashing a Belgian Blond in preparation for kegging on Sunday.

Bottled my 1 gal batch of Dead Ringer IPA. Ended up with 9 bottles worth. It tasted great going into the bottles, can't wait to try the finished product.

Also racked 5 gal of smoked brown ale to secondary. Again, the sample I pulled tasted great, subtle smoked flavor but not overpowering. Gonna let this one sit for another 3-4 weeks before bottling.

And now I have two empty fermenters. What next? A Pliney clone is on tap for the big one; not sure about the next 1 gal batch. Some sort of lighter wheat ale or saison, probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back