What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busy afternoon for beer at my house… Bottled Edwort's Apfelwein, kegged a robust porter, and transferred a pumpkin ale to a fresh fermentor to sit for a few more weeks.

Bought another haul of bottles, 4 Jester King and a Smokestack series

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Got an A on my entry level exam for the Cicerone Certification Program. Now I have to wait to take the next second level exam they offer in FL. I'll probably have to actually study a little bit for that one lol.

Got an A on my entry level exam for the Cicerone Certification Program. Now I have to wait to take the next second level exam they offer in FL. I'll probably have to actually study a little bit for that one lol.

Do you get to be special and add letters after your name with these certs?

Do you get to be special and add letters after your name with these certs?

Not exactly. The entry level exam qualifies you as a Certified Beer Server, the second level makes you a Certified Cicerone, and the third level is Master Cicerone. As a perspective, there are over 25,000 people across the globe that qualify as a Certified Beer Server but only 7 Master Cicerones. I figure if I start now I might have a shot at becoming a Master some day.

Added sight glasses to my HLT and BK, i also calibrated them. Added a whirlpool arm to the MT and and BK. Got two thermometers to add to the HLT and BK, but not sure i'm going to put them in through the wall or just set one up so i can cam lock it to the pump or outlets of my vessels.

Finally got orf my frozen behind to wash a crap ton of bottles. found 4 or 5 that couldn't be scrubbed out,so they got some stronger PBW I made for the wife's pots & pans. Can't wait till 1/31 to be able to order stuff for my hybrid lagers. Hoping to do 3-5 gallon batches for spring. Hopefully in time to celebrate finishing the first draft of my book.

Picked up my WY1098 for brewing a Stone Pale Ale from their recipe and some extra WY1217 West Coast IPA since my LHBS still had a few for a Hopsecutioner clone.

Getting ready for a brew day tomorrow, which included going to get water, and ice. (dang ground water, never gets cold enough here). I'll be brewing with my new 10g Spike Brewing Kettle, and possibly my new March Pump, but only if I'm feeling uber confident, haha. I just don't want too many new things, throwing me off my A game.

Well, after three years of brewing (though I didn't do much the first two years and then really ramped it up the past year), I finally took the dive into kegging today... Sorta.

I was in talking to my local homebrew shop owner today and got talking about kegging. It's something that I knew I wanted to do for quite awhile, but today I had a bug up my ass to just do it. I left my LHBS and took a look on Craigslist. I found a free working refrigerator. I stopped by and picked it up and went back to my LHBS.

He quoted me $490 for a three tap system with dual regulator (one for filling a keg, plus the line out to the three tap system), a 15lb filled CO2 tank, and four kegs. Everything is new except the kegs and CO2 tank. One problem is that he was out of kegs! Oh well, I guess I can wait... I usually shop around, but his price seemed reasonable, I like the guy, and I can sometimes be a bit impulsive! I paid ahead of time for the kegs, and he said I'm first in line when they come in (withing a week or two).

Anyhow, everything is set up, with the exception of a bunch of stickers to put on the fridge and the kegs and beer, of course!

DSC_0475-XL.jpg

DSC_0476-XL.jpg

DSC_0479-XL.jpg

Bottled up 26 stitch ipa today got 34 12oz and 4 bombers so would of been roughly 42, now that I have my keggle there will be no more short batches of brew. And my how much difference and bottling wand will do for speeding up the worst part of brewing its enjoyable now lol

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389929075.191194.jpg

Currently brewing a 1gal batch of Dead Ringer IPA. I also have a 5 gal kit of Smokey the Beer smoked porter that my wife got me for Christmas. May brew that today too if I'm feeling ambitious.

I also snagged some Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale and Narwhal Imperial Stout at a local liquor store...had no clue we could actually get either of those in South Dakota. I'm gonna set a bottle of each aside and age them for awhile.

Bottled my Kolsch, it was a half batch. Looked beautifully clear, but I think I didn't mix the priming solution completely, the leftover tasted very sweet. Waiting for my saison to settle before I bottle it, then my IPA is crashing and will be bottled after that. Phew, busy day.

Finally finished scrubbing the last of two cases of bottles I started yesterday. The remaining few had to soak in PBW overnight. Then had to go to the college library & store. Started raining down those big,wet snowflakes while at the library. Snowing so much it's like a fog here now. Havina vanila porter & vodka for my troubles.

Today, I brewed in my new 10 gal Spike Brewing kettle/setup, for the first time. I also used a March Pump for the first time, and after I got the hang of it, I was having no problems. This first batch, was a Hoppy Dank Amber. Went well.

Phew, okay, rehashing myself but here is everything:
Kolsch: bottled 17 12-oz bottles and 2 2L growlers
Saison: bottled 18 22-oz bottles, the rest into a 3-gal carboy with sherry oak and brett L. Brewed a quick 1 gal to top it off.
IPA: bottled 50 12-oz bottles
APA: transferred to secondary and added 1 oz citra
Funk kolsch: added 1 oz sherry oak

And I drank a Jester King Noble King and a HB robust porter, after dinner will drink a Wunderkind

Added a half bottle of Spring 44 single barrel bourbon to 10oz organic cacao nibs for the RIS that will go to secondary on them in a few days.

Added a half bottle of Spring 44 single barrel bourbon to 10oz organic cacao nibs for the RIS that will go to secondary on them in a few days.

Im thinking of doin something like that to the recipe I'm working on now. How's your luck been with oak chips in a RIS?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Organized my brewery storage area now if I can get the dam paint cans some where else I'll be happier but I'm content with this for now. The ipath shoe box is my brew day box with lighter, thermometer, hydrometer, a roll of paper towels, the book and pen for notes, I still need to get a digital scale therma pen then I'll be happy

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390079147.144968.jpg

Well a friend wanted to view part of the procedures, so I may have actually inspired another brewer today!
Transfer IIPA from primary bucket to secondary carboy.
Start a wheat based ginger beer inspired by mixing 3 different recipes and techniques. Currently seems promising, will post recipe if it all works out well.

The IIPA has a good start, nice hoppy but not painful finish. For some reason it has an unusual taste. I'm not worried since it has another couple weeks to go before bottling, and that can change everything. I hesitate to use the word "cidery" because it often inspires the harsh bite associated with cider - it is more like actual mulled apples. Alcoholic or not. Not a bad taste, but certainly no apples anywhere close to the recipe. Perhaps it will change when a little more sweetness ferments out, wait and see.

Im thinking of doin something like that to the recipe I'm working on now. How's your luck been with oak chips in a RIS?

I haven't tried it yet, but if the oak is soaked in a spirit it should give it a barrel aged character. Next time I brew the RIS it's getting bourbon soaked oak. Btw, 24 hours after soaking the cacao/bourbon it smells amazing and I almost grabbed a spoon to start eating it

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Well...I'm brewing an IPA. I know...I've often stated my disdain for them, but I had a cold and couldn't taste a damn thing, so I bought some Hopsecutioner and now I like the damn things.

Not good bc I try to keep well stocked in what I like, so now my beer budget must be adjusted.

Bottled my donkey sprayer ipa. Rinsed some California ale yeast and added some dry hops and earl grey to my . Earl the grey imperial ipa

I finally bleached my fermenting frig. After a bucket lid blow off 2 weeks ago.. I know a little late and unsanitary. But what can you do. Rhahb

I tasted my first Rye today to make sure it was carbonated. Yes carbonated, needs a little more time, though.

Brewing another batch. I moved a couple months ago and I've just now been able to start back up, other than the occasional quick no-boil mead.

Had to run to Giant Eagle for some greens & such to put in my ham bone soup. I found Fat Tire & Ranger IPA bombers for $2.99. Fat tire later...

Back