What have I made?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diego123

Reaction score
Yesterday I made a 1 gallon batch of Oatmeal Stout when I was done I decided to do something with the spent grains so i finnally decided to make a sort of small beer out of it going around my kitchen cabinets y decided to throw in some ingredients i used 2 small jars of honey some brown sugar some raisins 2 shots of esspresso and I noted I was out of hops so i added 2 tablespoons of yerba mate( a verry bitter herb used in latin american countries as a teaa) as a bittering agent of some sort. THis morning I have seen in the fermenting jug pretty active fermentation and a nice brown color. How do you think It will come out.

Probably have some interesting flavors. I would think you won't get a lot out of spent grains, so most or all of your fermentables will come from sugar - likely leading to a very dry beer. If you could add something unfermentable like lactose it might make it a little sweeter and more balanced.

I have no idea what to expect from the bitter herbs you put in. Probably some bitterness, but I doubt they are as predictable as hops. Might work out, though.

At any rate, make sure to report back with results.

Back