What gauge wire ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick question all, what gauge wire should I use using a single Rheem SP10868GL Element - 120V/2000W Stainless Steel Resistored LWD - 9.59" ? This is a simple on/off switched boil kettle. My mind says 12ga? but I'm a bit fuzzy at the moment. :mug:

2000w at 120 is 16.66A. 12awg is rated at 20A. Loads shouldn't pass 80% witch is 16A. .66A over isn't going to be an issue. A 12awg wire will be fine.

The ampacity of a particular gauge of wire depends on its insulation, the ambient temperature, how many current carrying conductors are bundled together and the length of the run. UL recommendations for STO, STOW, SOOW, SJOOW etc. cords (available at home improvement stores and commonly used for such applications) with 2 current carrying conductors for runs of under 50' are for 25 amps. I believe the UL recommendations are based on NEC table 400.5 which allows 25 amps at ambient temperature up to 30 °C (ampacity must be adjusted down for higher ambients). Ampacities must also be derated if more than 3 current carrying conductors are bundled (to 80% for 4-6 and further for more). I don't remember ever seeing a recommendation limiting loads to 80% of specified ampacity under other conditions so I'd like to see a reference to that.

My reason for going on about all this is that I'm always seeing statements like "12 gauge is good for 25 amps" without the conditions under which it is good for 25 amps being specified. Certainly in almost every application contemplated by people on this forum there will be 2 current carrying conductors, the ambient will be less than 86 °F and they will buy SJOOW at Home Depot but readers need to be aware that there are conditions attached to the rated ampacities. Brewing outdoors in Tuscon is mid August? You might want to check into the temperature derating issue though in this particular case you have quite a bit of margin as you are only using 2000/120/25 = 66.7% of the 30 °C ampacity.

2000w at 120 is 16.66A. 12awg is rated at 20A. Loads shouldn't pass 80% witch is 16A. .66A over isn't going to be an issue. A 12awg wire will be fine.
here we go again... the 80% rule is for continuous sustained loads for over 3 hrs... this doesnt apply here...(unless the element is going to be left on full blast for 3 hrs or more)

that said we do agree that 12g is the correct choice if talking about the perment wireing for the supply circuit to the outlet....... along with a 20a outlet and gfci breaker.

the 14g SJ would be fine for the wiring from the outlet to the kettle as long as its not a very longcable run... anthing over 10ft , myself I would go 12g on.

Back