What do you pack for Lunch at work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naga77777

Reaction score
I love these threads, and couldn't find one on HBT. Here's hoping this one will gain momentum.

So, after 6 months straight of eating the same cold-cut sandwich about 3 days a week at work, I finally got sick of them and doubt i'll be making one any time soon.

FWIW, it was a bangin' sandwich:

Sub roll.
mayo, salt pepper
ham, turkey, salami
pepper jack
onion
lettuce
bacon (oscar meyer precooked)
jalapenos (sliced, from a jar)
alfalfa or broccoli sprouts
splash of italian dressing

well, got to the point where i could barely choke it down i was so tired of them. today i had campbell's chunky soup (sirloin burger) but can't do that every day, or I'll quickly tire of it.

I also tried something suprisingly simple while at the beach on the 4th of july. would have never thought of it. Mother-in-law had some good lunchmeat cut from the deli (turkey, roast beef, and ham) thick sliced. She then rolled pepper jack cheese, or some good cheddar in the lunchmeat to creat these little rolls. and then had spicy brown mustard to go with them. i probably ate 6 of 'em, LOL.

so there's a couple of my ideas, but i LOVE trying new things, and would like to hear y'alls suggestions. ideally, these would be things that i could make the morning of work, and wouldn't take more than 5min.

I eat a lot of salads now. I vary it up with different meats and vegetables. I'll make lettuce wraps. Like to grill some chicken and just have with some side veggies and cottage cheese.

We make huge batches of homemade frozen dinners, then portion them out into the individual Ziploc containers and freeze them. Every morning, just grab one from the freezer and go. When we notice we're getting low, we'll make another big batch of something.

Some popular recipes we use are chili, coconut curry chicken, salsa rice, chicken stir fry with rice or noodles, or chicken fried rice.

The salsa rice is one of my favorites, and is particularly easy. Steam as much rice as you can (we have a steamer that'll do 4 cups and a pressure cooker that'll do 6 more). Buy a big "Club Pack" of ground beef and fry it all up in a pan or a wok. Meanwhile, chop up a bunch of veggies. An onion, a couple green peppers, some mushrooms, celery, whatever you like. Once the rice and meat are ready, dump it all in a big pot. Add in a bowl of frozen corn, a bowl of frozen peas and carrots, a can each of white and red kidney beans (rinsed) and 2 jars of medium Tostitos salsa. Grind in some fresh pepper and sea salt. Mix it all up (great workout for your forearm).

Scoop it out into the individual Ziploc containers, top with a little fresh green onion or coriander. The last time I made a batch of this, I just went with the 4 cups of rice and ended up with 20 servings. That'll keep us going for at least 2 weeks.

Usually...actually always leftover from previous dinner. So today, greek chicken wraps.

Ditto. Almost always last nights leftovers. Which is almost always something I cooked. Today I had a makeshift burrito. Cooked up a mixture of ground bison, black beans, tomatoes, spices, cholula, red wine, etc. Took some of that with lettuce and a wrap for lunch.

I'm low carb, so lunch meat and veggies. I also pressure can chili. I freeze 20 bottles of water and throw them in the cooler with a bunch of drinks (Crystal light).

When doing construction work I usually take leftovers and sandwiches both. Sandwiches are deli meat, something leftover, tuna, egg or PBJs. I like spud salad, cold spaghetti, pizza, etc. tossed in to mix it up. I generally have lunch at 9 then again at noon. Today was just 3 PBJs here on the farm where I was working today. I stopped early because it is 99* in the shade and I had a screaming headache above my right eye. I do have some chilled ginger beer though.

Ditto. Almost always last nights leftovers. Which is almost always something I cooked. Today I had a makeshift burrito. Cooked up a mixture of ground bison, black beans, tomatoes, spices, cholula, red wine, etc. Took some of that with lettuce and a wrap for lunch.

Nice! People always ask me in the lunchroom "what's your gourmet lunch, today?"

Had last nights stroganoff, nomz! with an orange and some cottage cheese.

Tomorrow it's prolly some caesar chicken wraps

Caprese sandwich! i can't wait for lunch... it's like one of my favorite sandwiches in the world...

Annnnnnnnd this thead done! :mug:

"they had avacados"
milk-carton-smiley-emoticon.gif

We make huge batches of homemade frozen dinners, then portion them out into the individual Ziploc containers and freeze them. Every morning, just grab one from the freezer and go. When we notice we're getting low, we'll make another big batch of something.

Some popular recipes we use are chili, coconut curry chicken, salsa rice, chicken stir fry with rice or noodles, or chicken fried rice.

The salsa rice is one of my favorites, and is particularly easy. Steam as much rice as you can (we have a steamer that'll do 4 cups and a pressure cooker that'll do 6 more). Buy a big "Club Pack" of ground beef and fry it all up in a pan or a wok. Meanwhile, chop up a bunch of veggies. An onion, a couple green peppers, some mushrooms, celery, whatever you like. Once the rice and meat are ready, dump it all in a big pot. Add in a bowl of frozen corn, a bowl of frozen peas and carrots, a can each of white and red kidney beans (rinsed) and 2 jars of medium Tostitos salsa. Grind in some fresh pepper and sea salt. Mix it all up (great workout for your forearm).

Scoop it out into the individual Ziploc containers, top with a little fresh green onion or coriander. The last time I made a batch of this, I just went with the 4 cups of rice and ended up with 20 servings. That'll keep us going for at least 2 weeks.

That's the best way to do it. I buy the family packs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts & marinate 3 or 4 in 1 marinade & 3 or 4 in a different marinade. I grill 'em all up at once & will add different sides of either some sort of rice or veggies, sometimes both to the chicken & pack individual lunches in plastic containers & freeze 'em. Nuke 'em in the microwave at work & you've got a tasty lunch that's healthy, offers a bit of variety from day to day, is reasonably cheap & is reasonably quick & easy to make.

I also keep things like canned soup, chili & crackers at work just in case I forget my lunch or or the zombies attack. :D
Regards, GF.

Deli meat on bread with cheese and a lot of horseradish sauce. Chips, an apple, and a jug of water, plus whatever leftovers we have in the fridge. Your sandwich sounds a lot better, gonna have to get groceries tomorrow. No microwave in my bucket truck unfortunately so options are limited.

I wish it could include beer, but alias...

I do prefer a hot sandwich to a cold sandwich. I much rather have a chicken parm sandwich over a cold cut sandwich. I also like a soft sandwich where nothing is dry or hard. I believe a good sandwich should "give itself up" to being eaten easily. Sandwiches with hard bread that rips the roof of your mouth apart, or makes you chew until your jaw hurts just p_sses me off.

Some of my favorite sandwiches are:

Chicken parm
Eggplant parm
cheesesteak bomb
pulled pork BBQ on a kaiser roll
corned beef or pastrami on rye with deli mustard
Egg, potato and sauteed onion omelette on a roll with tomato slices
although cold, I do like a seafood salad sub
chopped liver on rye with slices of red onion
in the summer, big slabs of heirloom tomato on white bread with mayo till it is all mushy and dripping

a MLT, mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato....

I like sandwiches

Those are milk cartons.

PKU.

Wife asks her husband, “Could you please go shopping for me and buy one carton of milk, and if they have avocados, get 6.”

A short time later the husband comes back with 6 cartons of milk.

The wife asks him, “Why did you buy 6 cartons of milk?”

He replies, “They had avocados.”

Leftovers again today :(

Broiled chicken breast topped with sliced tomato and fresh mozzarella cheese.
Roasted potatoes with garlic and smoked paprika (my new favorite season).
A mix of sliced cucumber and red pepper with olive oil, red & balsamic vinegar, and parmesan cheese.

Ya know... just some boring leftovers :)

I'm having leftovers for lunch:
A sort of Thai dragon soup/sauce (coconut milk based) with mussels, shrimp, scallops, and squid; served orver Thai jasmine rice, with a side of mixed, steamed veggies...
And a Coke. :)
Regards, GF.

For something like 25 yrs, it was PB&J for lunch, plus fruit. Wouldn't dream of eating a PB&J on the weekends.

For the past 7 or so years, my wife and I split a can of soup and have some fruit (she works a couple buildings over). In the summer it is likely salads out of the garden + fruit

When I got hired at Ford,then married,the guys used to piss & moan how "that mutha***** eat like a pig"! They were jelous of the fact that my wife would make this browned pork chops with onions in tomato sauce with mash taters for my lunch. Or home made buritos,chili with cheese & sour cream,even cabbage rolls with mashed potatoes. Lots of central european goodness. At one point,I developed an afinity for balony & cheese sandwhiches dipped in hot chili with beans.

I don't work often, but when I do I take leftovers. Since I don't eat packaged food, or wheat, or sugar (etc), I always take something awesome like a Thai stir fry or leftover pork roast with lots of veggies. I tend to eat only meat (or chicken or fish) and veggies as a rule anyway, and I just heat it up in the microwave.

This past week with the heat my lunch was spread between 11 and 1 o' clock.
When ever i had time to shove something in my mouth.

water
string cheese
protein bar
Gatorade
fruit
cookies
water
A candy bar at about 3
water

I'd like to know more about these Thai dishes.....since they were mentioned by more than one poster. Thai is right up my alley.

I'd like to know more about these Thai dishes.....since they were mentioned by more than one poster. Thai is right up my alley.

Well my "Thai Dragon Soup" was just made with what I had in the fridge/freezer/cupboard. A can of coconut milk, fish sauce, rooster sauce, soy sauce, thai green curry paste, frozen seafood medley, fresh lime juice, fresh Thai basil, fresh cilantro, fresh and dried ginger, fresh garlic, a spoonful of butter & simmer. Not exactly Tom Yum or Tom Kah, or even true "dragon soup," but it was the closest I could come to it with what I had on hand & on the spur of the moment.
Regards, GF.

I try to stick to the scavenger diet at lunch.

See what is left in the lunch area. Things on the table are understood to be "shared" (Once a month I bring in gourmet queso with homemade chips or something else awesome, so I am OWED ;)) usually there is fruit or crackers or cookies. If I find a few little things and drink lotsa coffee, I can skip lunch. Short of that, it is running home and cooking up chicken for a burrito OR just eating out. I am ALLEGIC to leftovers unless it is taco meat.

Almost never pack lunch for work. Even though it costs more I always eat out. I just have to get up out of my chair and walk around. Too much sitting in front of the computer screen for 8 hours is killing me.

Almost never pack lunch for work. Even though it costs more I always eat out. I just have to get up out of my chair and walk around. Too much sitting in front of the computer screen for 8 hours is killing me.

I moved 5 minutes from work so that eating home would be a GOOD option.

It is fantastic. I watch Netflix or play COD and make something decent to eat. I use a little extra gas, but save a ton of change by not eating out, but get to take a break in a COMPLETELY different environment. I check on my garden, get some air, whatever I want with my 45 minutes or so. I always take off the tie and shirt.

A hand gun and a mask. You will trade your baloney sandwich.

I tried this but grew remorseful and gave the people money. Before I knew it, I was so remorseful, I was buying balogna sandwiches at gun point for $20. I once came back to borrow a dollar from the guy I robbed of a sandwich and then donated a 20, and saw the guy taking his real lunch out of his drawer. The balogna was a decoy and a quick $20 :(

I shot him.

Usually local summer sausage with extra sharp cheddar and brown mustard on wheat, when I remember to make something. Hard to eat anything else while I am out delivering all that stuff everyone orders on the interwebs...

Usually local summer sausage with extra sharp cheddar and brown mustard on wheat, when I remember to make something. Hard to eat anything else while I am out delivering all that stuff everyone orders on the interwebs...

You work for UPS and open people's orders from Hillshirefarms.com and just effing eat them??? Are they hiring?

Back