Turduckin Roulade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I've been dying to try a simple Turduckin Roulde using breasts of the three birds and Transglutaminase (Activa RM)

For Thanksgiving, I did a turkey breast and dressing in a roll using the Sous Vide and a very low temperature. I cooked it all night at 132, raising it to 138 for the last hour. The two breasts were reversed to keep the dimensions fairly uniform. I then placed the two of them in a narrow Foodsaver bag (8") that was quite long as I made it from a roll. My special stuffing was placed on top, and I then rolled the works up tightly into a fat sausage shape. I tied it in three places, and dropped the whole thing into another food saver bag which I vacuum sealed.

The product was amazingly moist, juicy and tender, and had none of the characteristic stringy texture of turkey breast. It was impossible to tell that it was two pieces of meat, in fact when removed, you could slice off a "medallion" of turkey breast with dressing... if you were careful and used a very sharp knife. It was an unqualified success. I used no Activa at all.

The other day a neighbor brought me two freshly killed wild ducks, still warm, and I "breasted them". A simple and easy process involving mostly thumbs, and very little knife work. About 5 minutes each. I currently have them brining, having done a cold water soak, and changed water a few times, and also changing the brine once. I have a package of turkey breast and one of chicken breast, and some high quality thin sliced deli ham.
The plan is to use one turkey breast (without the skin, and no bones), about 1.5 Chicken breasts also skinned and boned, and the two breasts of one duck. I'll layer them using Activa generously, and wrap the works in a slice or two of deli ham, and roll the whole works up in plastic wrap. No dressing this time. I'll then seal it in a food saver bag. The bones will be cooked down with wine and spices and ultimately some heavy cream to make a gravy. The skins will be deep fried crispy and used in the dressing along with other goodies.
The roulade will be refrigerated over night, then cooked 24 hours at 132, and upped to 138 for an hour.
Not really a true turduckin, but probably better.

H.W.

Back