What do you expect from 4 day old beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagrar

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,

I just racked to the secondary this morning. Usually I just dump the little that is left in the primary. This time I put it a growler and thru it it the fridge. It was a IPA and the bitterness is right there and since I dry hopped it I think the hop aroma and nose should be good at the real time to bottle and drink. Just wondering if y'all bother to drink this stuff and make any kind of judgement as to how the final beer turns out?

Dale

I think that most people here, myself included, test our brews at all stages, from boiling to bottling. It is a good way to monitor the progression of a brew, and learn and understand how it changes at each stage. And it tastes good too!!:D I sometimes cool the sample, but usually I jus drink it right from the sample vessel, usually my hydrometer container.

Always! Sampling throughout the brewing process is critical to developing your skills.

I also taste my brews whenever I take a sample. But be careful, most of the time the sample will taste harsher than the final beer. This may disappoint you at first, but keep in time that beer usually improves with time. Up to a certain age that is.

dagrar said:
...and since I dry hopped it I think the hop aroma and nose should be good at the real time to bottle and drink.

usually dry-hopping is done in the secondary, after the primary fermentation.

Truble said:
I think that most people here, myself included, test our brews at all stages, from boiling to bottling. It is a good way to monitor the progression of a brew, and learn and understand how it changes at each stage. And it tastes good too!!:D I sometimes cool the sample, but usually I jus drink it right from the sample vessel, usually my hydrometer container.

Yeah I do this also. You follow the progress of your brew this way. Most of the time what is left of my primary is used to cover the yeast I saved out of primary.

Kai said:
I also taste my brews whenever I take a sample. But be careful, most of the time the sample will taste harsher than the final beer. This may disappoint you at first, but keep in time that beer usually improves with time. Up to a certain age that is.

usually dry-hopping is done in the secondary, after the primary fermentation.

But after a few batches you can tell how good it will be even when its bad (green).

When I brewed before I used to "sample" a bit too much, but for some reason now I'm in no rush. The wheat beer was sitting in secondary 3 weeks before I bottled it. I sampled what was in the hydrometer each time though.

Thank you, for the replies. I always tasted the beer along the way. I guess what I was trying to say was could you tell early on if you had a real winner or not by the first impressions. I just bottled a porter and what was left over was outstanding even green.

I'd like to think that I am developing a feel for what the beer will be like by the sampling. I look for "off tastes" and odors, and also compare to what other batches tasted like at that time, given that I know how they turned out.

Back