What do do about a new pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthrobe

Reaction score
As I brew today, I am sick of my old pot. I have been shopping around for a new SST pot. Currently I have been doing partial boils but have all equipement to do full boils/all grain but the pot. So looking around today, Target has a 44qt pot online for about 140.00 which includes tax and shipping. Then I was thinking about getting a full keg and cutting the top out. I have all tools to do this as well. For those who use a full keg, what are the advantages?

They're cheap, virtually indestructable, and hold 15.5 gals. Turning one into a kettle with a ball valve and pickup tube is really easy.

Now, someone will mention the stolen keg thing. Just make sure you understand they legally belong to the brewery unless they have been decommissioned.

Lil' Sparky said:
They're cheap, virtually indestructable, and hold 15.5 gals. Turning one into a kettle with a ball valve and pickup tube is really easy.

Now, someone will mention the stolen keg thing. Just make sure you understand they legally belong to the brewery unless they have been decommissioned.

I remember that. I was just looking on Craigslist is which there are a few for $20. I think that I may have made up my mind!!

Evan! said:
Yeah...how would one go about cutting the top out?

My first choice would be my plasma cutter. Although I really do not have to much experience with it, I might make a mess. Some friends of mine use them like a hot knife through butter, clean and smooth!! I do remember seeing BobbyM video in which he made a jig for his grinder. Thought that was kinda cool. I also have a grinder and a good dremel tool with an assortment of metal cutting bits. I also just talked to my friend and he is setup for welding Stainless!!

Evan! said:
Yeah...how would one go about cutting the top out?
The trick is to keep a steady hand.

And make sure to complete the cut in one....smoooooth....action:

Keggle_3.JPG

I have both a Keggle and a 14 gal Morebeer Stockpot. I like them both; the flat bottom on the stockpot is nice for whirlpooling, and the opening is wider than that of the keg. It also cleans up easier than the keg. The keggle on the other hand has handles and is way thicker gauge. If you have the means to cut a keg cleanly/safely, do it!

Like BM said, it looks cooler!

No brainer - go for the keggle. Just don't try cutting the top off with a kitchen knife, a laser pointer and a drill bit like BM did.

ohiobrewtus said:
There is if you pay :D

Yeah, this site is next on my list of forum subscriptions. The amount of great info I've received here is mind-blowing. Soon I say, soon! :D

I'm hoping my Costco has their turkey fryer discount after Thanksgiving/Christmas again. Last year was a 44qt SS fryer set up for $60. I passed, because I already had a 30 qt at the time. <------stupid.

I just started my keggle construction, used a piece of rope and marked out a perfect circle. I used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder and that worked perfectly. Took me 5 to 7 mins., to cut out a 12in hole. Titanium coated step drill bit for the holes, and i'm half way there. I need to order the no weld valve and fitting, can anybody tell me a good to site to order from?

Back