What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tounge and tortillas
IMG_20200101_172336.jpg
IMG_20200101_173925.jpg

Haven't made it yet - really just toying with the idea. Yesterday, one of my bosses made a big pot of menudo. I love everything about menudo, except for the tripe. I just can't make myself like it! A couple of co-workers mentioned that they just can't get past the smell. So that whole event was rolling around in my head this morning as I dissected why I don't like tripe when I realized that it is nearly the same texture as a tenderized calamari. Which led me to the obvious question of what menudo made with calamari would be like...

Haven't made it yet - really just toying with the idea. Yesterday, one of my bosses made a big pot of menudo. I love everything about menudo, except for the tripe. I just can't make myself like it! A couple of co-workers mentioned that they just can't get past the smell. So that whole event was rolling around in my head this morning as I dissected why I don't like tripe when I realized that it is nearly the same texture as a tenderized calamari. Which led me to the obvious question of what menudo made with calamari would be like...

Same here; it's a texture issue. My suegra doesn't make it anymore, lol.

Tounge and tortillas
beef tongue, right? If not, my anecdote will be for nought.
Anyway, for the sake of adventure, I swapped my bologna salad sandwich, which I love, for a classmate's tongue sandwich (just mustard and tongue). I couldn't have been older than 10. I can still recall that it was cooked properly and tasted good.
I actually don't see it often at the market, though in fairness, I don't really look for it. Last one I saw still had the taste buds on it.

beef tongue, right? If not, my anecdote will be for nought.
Anyway, for the sake of adventure, I swapped my bologna salad sandwich, which I love, for a classmate's tongue sandwich (just mustard and tongue). I couldn't have been older than 10. I can still recall that it was cooked properly and tasted good.
I actually don't see it often at the market, though in fairness, I don't really look for it. Last one I saw still had the taste buds on it.

Yeah, cow tongue. They don't do a whole lot of preparation before putting on the shelves so yes you get the WHOLE tongue as if we cut out your tongue.

Ground beef mixed with sour cream,baked beans,roasted garlic and spices.
That sounds interesting. I've been into the Waygu beef hamburgers which are really good.
I've seen adding French Onion soup mix to hamburger. It's been around forever but I've yet to try it. Someday I will though it be a little "meat-loafy."

That sounds interesting. I've been into the Waygu beef hamburgers which are really good.
I've seen adding French Onion soup mix to hamburger. It's been around forever but I've yet to try it. Someday I will though it be a little "meat-loafy."

Dry onion soup packet seasoning works, too.

A thing of beauty! I just finished brunch at home (think breakfast in the late morning) and I’m not hungry but that picture made me stop and think yum.

On a side note, nearby is a place that makes delicious tongue tacos, and I’m not brave enough to cook that at home... yet.

I also like to use mayo,smoked bbq sauce and the packets from ramen noodles. Where do you get Waygu burgers.

Where do you get Waygu burgers.
I live in Detroit and there's a giant Market district about 15 minutes away. The place is called Fairway Packing. Oddly, regular 80/20 burgers have gone up in price so that the Waygu burgers aren't significantly higher in price. I get them in 12# cases. Relatives love them.
I know you didn't ask, but it reminds me of another good use for the Ramen Chicken ones.
1 bag brocc slaw
2 pk. Ramen chicken
1/2 C sugar
1 C olive oil (vegetable oil)
1/2 bunch green onion, finely sliced
1/3 C red wine vinegar
! C sliced almonds
1 C sunflower seeds
Blend the oil, sugar, vinegar, ramen packets.Crush the ramen noodle. Then pretty much toss everything else in.
Using raw almonds and sunflower seeds and then browning makes the whole dish better.

I have this on my list to make. How did it come out? Did you do the alternate caramel?

It came out great. They are very rich so I can't eat many at a time but they taste good. I used the recipe from America's Test Kitchen but did not see any alternate caramel.

My take on Mexican Charro Beans. Its like ham and beans with a little kick.

1lb of dry Canary beans soaked over night
qPdepXz.jpg

1.4lbs of smoked hocks, a little spicy smoked sausage and ham lightly browned first. The sausage and ham goes in near the end. Kirkland no salt seasoning, aji panca powder (home grown), some paprika, cumin powder, granulated garlic, white pepper and turmeric for color.
7vlHI5u.jpg

A whole white onion softened in the sausage drippins and avocado oil
iti5ceF.jpg

Toss most of that in a pot with a couple bay leaves (except the beans). Let the hocks cook about an hour before adding the soaked beans. We want them hocks starting to fall apart first.
05K3oyt.jpg

7RVpgVg.jpg

Well damn, forgot the finished pic.....These were awesome beans. Just a little heat from the aji panca.
1.5 Tbs Kirkland No Salt Seasoning
2 Tsp Aji Panca Powder
2 Tsp Paprika
2 Tsp Ground Cumin
2 Tsp Kirkland Granulated Garlic
1 Tsp Ground Tumeric
1/2 Tsp White Pepper
Makes almost 5 TBS of seasoning but you wont need anywhere near that much.

iWaZ0ln.jpg

Well damn, forgot the finished pic.....These were awesome beans. Just a little heat from the aji panca.
1.5 Tbs Kirkland No Salt Seasoning
2 Tsp Aji Panca Powder
2 Tsp Paprika
2 Tsp Ground Cumin
2 Tsp Kirkland Granulated Garlic
1 Tsp Ground Tumeric
1/2 Tsp White Pepper
Makes almost 5 TBS of seasoning but you wont need anywhere near that much.

iWaZ0ln.jpg

Oh YUM!!!

My take on Mexican Charro Beans. Its like ham and beans with a little kick.

1lb of dry Canary beans soaked over night
qPdepXz.jpg

1.4lbs of smoked hocks, a little spicy smoked sausage and ham lightly browned first. The sausage and ham goes in near the end. Kirkland no salt seasoning, aji panca powder (home grown), some paprika, cumin powder, granulated garlic, white pepper and turmeric for color.
7vlHI5u.jpg

A whole white onion softened in the sausage drippins and avocado oil
iti5ceF.jpg

Toss most of that in a pot with a couple bay leaves (except the beans). Let the hocks cook about an hour before adding the soaked beans. We want them hocks starting to fall apart first.
05K3oyt.jpg

7RVpgVg.jpg
Wow, that looks great

Tried out sous vide for the first time. Made the best pork chop I have cooked.

15oz pork loin chop
View attachment 660737

If you're not brine-ing your chops, try it. Salt water brine with garlic, onion, and fresh herbs. My wife does it to her chops, and I haven't had better...ever.

Back