What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
360E1628-09AD-47D1-94AC-E3C0110928A3.jpeg
099AFB48-5084-404B-9031-DA38F0356C4A.jpeg
04438037-C0AD-46B4-B6EB-0B5521DCD25D.jpeg

The reindeer need more decoration, but until they dry I’ve moved on to baking oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip cookies

Attachments

• CA0B615C-4CEA-4246-A7BF-C57D47A8273E.jpeg
    CA0B615C-4CEA-4246-A7BF-C57D47A8273E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I don't have a tea towel and interesting to roll it that way. I have similar told, but they all have sewn-in patterns. I'm not sure if that would matter, so I didn't bother, but yes that makes sense as the wax paper doesn't absorb moisture.

I made 64 of these chocolate chip cookies on a whim. No complaints--good cookie. There was discussion on whether to roll them into a tight ball or not. I had to agree with my wife that there was a litlte bit more "cookie character" just plopping them on the baking sheet.
COOKIE POWER.jpg

There was discussion on whether to roll them into a tight ball or not. I had to agree with my wife that there was a litlte bit more "cookie character" just plopping them on the baking sheet. View attachment 658312

Chocolate chip and oatmeal, two cookies I like loosely dropped for a thin and crispy cookie, that when hot still droops and threatens to drip. Some are better put down in a ball for a bit more of a little cake like thing. Those look really nice!

Not really sure what it's called, but dry cured pork loins method pancetta. I have a pork belly curing into pancetta and made these loins at the same time. Probably another week for the belly but these hit 30% weight loss. Cooked a few slices with breakfast, delicious!

View attachment 658348

What is your drying process? Do you control temperature and humidity?

What is your drying process? Do you control temperature and humidity?
I have a beverage fridge that I was going to use, but was a little concerned with humidity being too low.

I checked temp and humidity and my guest bath with vent closed has been stable between 62-66 and around 65-68% humidity.

Wrapped in cheesecloth,tied and humg with butchers twine. Nice white mold formed on the outside, a few blueish hue specks starting to form. Wipe with vinegar and keep drying. I think 2 weeks on the loins, maybe another week on the belly?

I have a beverage fridge that I was going to use, but was a little concerned with humidity being too low.

I checked temp and humidity and my guest bath with vent closed has been stable between 62-66 and around 65-68% humidity.

Wrapped in cheesecloth,tied and humg with butchers twine. Nice white mold formed on the outside, a few blueish hue specks starting to form. Wipe with vinegar and keep drying. I think 2 weeks on the loins, maybe another week on the belly?

I make salami and pepperoni. I buy the white mold and spray on it to avoid getting other molds.

Do you have any hanging pics?

Happy Christmas eve. What a production. Gave everyone a gift bag with homemade pasta, bread, hb lip balm, hb poop spray, hb coffee, and hb hot sauce. Made a charcuterie board with different types of crackers, bellivitano whiskey, cranberry wensley, brie, and tillamook cheddar. Almonds, pepperoni, salami, blackberries, and fig jam. Chips and spinach dip, meatballs in bbq sauce and jar of grape jelly, fresh caprese, bacon wrapped bread things, shrimp in cocktail sauce, powder cookies, lemon squares, pumpkin bars, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cookies, rice crispie wreaths, gingerbread cookies, hello dolly bars. It was some feast. Stella, heineken, bud light, founders kbs, odells ipa, sippin pretty, odells ddh, daddys juice cider, wine, and grinch punch. Man talk about choices. Cheers to you and yours hbt and things for the lessons I have learned and shared here!
20191224_135821.jpeg
20191224_124812.jpeg
Screenshot_20191224-121524_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20191224-121516_Gallery.jpeg
20191224_091327.jpeg
20191224_120625.jpeg
20191223_114523.jpeg
20191218_203138.jpeg

Olive cheese puffs? Not sure what they are but I know I'd love them.

Recipe from my grandmother she got like 50 years ago.

First time I’ve ever made them. Super super simple with food processor... just throw everything in and run until it makes a ball.

Doesn’t do hers justice but I’ll be doing them again. Some of her measurements are quirky to me since I’m a weight baker. I used 4oz of cheddar and 60g of flour. I think next time it needs a bit more flour.

Adjustments.jpg

Recipe from my grandmother she got like 50 years ago.

First time I’ve ever made them. Super super simple with food processor... just throw everything in and run until it makes a ball.

Doesn’t do hers justice but I’ll be doing them again. Some of her measurements are quirky to me since I’m a weight baker. I used 4oz of cheddar and 60g of flour. I think next time it needs a bit more flour.

View attachment 658708
Thanks! I'll definitely make this. Cheese and olives (with a couple glasses of wine) are one of life's pleasures IMO.

Back