What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made hashbrowns and egg breakfast for my wonderful wife
IMG_20200109_091645.jpg

look around thrift shops for an old potato ricer. I use the one i got from my grandmother and it works much better than a new one I received as a gift. I use it to make lefse.

There is a large thrift shop down on main street; I'll check them out. That's where I got the bulk of my decanters : )

look around thrift shops for an old potato ricer. I use the one i got from my grandmother and it works much better than a new one I received as a gift. I use it to make lefse.
I hear ya. I had an old (no idea how old, ancient!) food mill that was chrome plated and flaking and corroding. So I replaced it with a new, stainless, major name brand one. It was total crap. Just moved stuff around without pushing it through. I miss my old piece of junk. I junked the new one. Why are good, simple, old fashioned kitchen tools so hard to find?

Not a major cooking accomplishment or a difficult dish to make, but a simple healthy breakfast that's delicious, and to me, makes oatmeal palatable. Steel cut oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, canned pumpkin, and coconut milk whipped cream. If you're like me, I've always wanted to like oatmeal but have never found a good way to make it enjoyable to eat. This does it for me.
20200104_111220.jpeg

Not a major cooking accomplishment or a difficult dish to make, but a simple healthy breakfast that's delicious, and to me, makes oatmeal palatable. Steel cut oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, canned pumpkin, and coconut milk whipped cream. If you're like me, I've always wanted to like oatmeal but have never found a good way to make it enjoyable to eat. This does it for me. View attachment 660977

My wife eats that stuff plain - literally nothing on it at all...I think something is wrong with her. I just add a dollop of maple syrup and usually some dried cranberries.

Golden Spurtle has some recipes on it from the world porridge making championships if you want to try something new :)
https://goldenspurtle.com/recipes/

I use water, about half a teaspoon of salt. Then when its ready put whatever toppings I want on it - bit of honey or golden syrup, maybe some jam, dash of cinnamon, blueberries etc then pour over cold milk.

^Porridge champs..that's cool.. I tend to boil either large flaked oats, spelt flakes or porridge rice in milk. Then maybe add berries and some walnuts on top. Large flakes or spelt tend to add nice texture and milk lends some fullness to the taste.

I am not sure I have seen those, sounds like you got some good ones. A discussion about the ny strip steak deal on this vey thread changed my life forever.
Love it when Kroger puts T-Bones on sale. These from last night were 3.99/lb. If you wait till the meat guys bring out a new batch of them, and go through them, you can get Porterhouses like these :)
View attachment 661140

WARNING: This post deals with the finer points of the cooking process, coupled with two, 12.5% beers--pints no less!
In the first photo, while it looks like a scant amount of cheese (Colby/Jack blend), I used a very coarse grater so it amounts to being at the low end of "extra cheese." Finely chopped onions are a choice though sauteed may be preferred. Canned or homemade, I can't exceed either the refried beans or tortillas in quality.
1.jpg
I'm now terrified (30% sarcastic) of PFOAs (or whatever the acronym is) so I'm all in on anything else. Boring photo but this is where I apply sub-medium heat to cook/heat the beans, cheese and onions. There's a give and take to the heat used.
quesa mid process.jpg
Speaking of boring, this is the bottom though it is saturated with butter and not oil. The low heat allows the butter to be absorbed.
bottom cooked.jpg
This is relatively interesting in that I pull out the fine shredder and then place this under the broiler so the cheese sets before flipping into a large puddle of butter to finish off....
fine cheese.jpg
This is what a Cheez-It would taste like if it were made of 100% cheese but cooked in butter. I do it to add layers to the flavor.
toasted cheese.jpg
The reason there isn't guacamole, sour cream, tomatoes, chives, black olives, jalapenos, etc. on this is because my wife prefers relatively plain food. It is here that one could dress up the plate.
quesa final product.jpg

WARNING: This post deals with the finer points of the cooking process

The fried on cheese layer on the outside is a good idea. I may have to borrow that.

Solid process though. I do something similar for my quesadillas except i always cook mine on nonstick pans (now all are PFOA free - which is why they don't last long like they used to).

The fried on cheese layer on the outside is a good idea. I may have to borrow that.

Solid process though. I do something similar for my quesadillas except i always cook mine on nonstick pans (now all are PFOA free - which is why they don't last long like they used to).
Thanks. I'm pleased to be able to pass on useful information. Sharp white cheddar is something to consider when coating the outside of a quesa. Low heat is important plus adjusting the temp as I said above.
PFOA--good to know that the PFOA free are available. Pan-wise, I'm learning to crawl before I walk with the carbon steel but the learning curve is fairly short. There are some drawbacks (anything heavy on liquid is a no-no with carbon steel unless you're good with spending some time fixing it). With chicken, you have to get it bone-dry. Even then, scrubbing with salt to remove deposits is going to be a thing.
I got the idea for the fried cheese layer from working in the restaurant business as a cook. I'd pick up the pieces left on the grill and it was concentrated awesomeness.
Cheers!

I got the idea for the fried cheese layer from working in the restaurant business as a cook. I'd pick up the pieces left on the grill and it was concentrated awesomeness.
Cheers!

When i was in college i would buy the 2lb blocks of tillamook cheddar from costco... i'd cut a 1/2" slice, give it a flour, egg wash, flour coating and pan fry in butter. The interior was gooey happiness, but there was always a little bit that oozed out and crusted over. That crunchy bit was always the best.

Appetite inducing drugs may have been involved. I don't remember clearly.

We took possession of our pasture-raised, non-soy, non-GMO fed pork yesterday afternoon -- 54# of it. Those piggies got to hang out in the apple orchard late fall and munch on any fallen fruit. Hope it's good - have two packages of pork chops saved out to try tonight. Will try to remember to take some pictures. Will be eating it with homemade keto-friendly (pretty much) cranberry/jalapeno sauce. That pork better be good!

We took possession of our pasture-raised, non-soy, non-GMO fed pork yesterday afternoon -- 54# of it. Those piggies got to hang out in the apple orchard late fall and munch on any fallen fruit. Hope it's good - have two packages of pork chops saved out to try tonight. Will try to remember to take some pictures. Will be eating it with homemade keto-friendly (pretty much) cranberry/jalapeno sauce. That pork better be good!
I'll put a large wager that is better than good :) I don't eat that much pork or beef but I'll splurge on local farms for grass feed when I treat myself. I convince myself that it's cheaper than going out and the quality oh so better. Overrall I've never been disappointed plus you get to shoot the **** with the local farmer. I also find the taste does change on the season and feed. Best time for milk is spring time when it tasted like ice cream because of the green grass and clover.

Supposedly it's also healthier for you. That's what the results/recommendation of the week state.

Omg, my tongue is hanging out

Back