What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rock cod tacos
20191227_202342.jpg

Man, I've only been offline a few days and there are a ton of truly amazing posts I had missed.

Last night's T-Bones, Cinnamon rolls I made for Christmas day, and Guinness Chocolate Chip cookies and little rum cakes (or what's left of them) that I did right before Christmas eve.

Edit: Oh, and the breakfast meats I did for Christmas Eve brunch. Black pepper bacon, jalapeno bacon, regular bacon, hot sausage, and honey baked ham. Mexican egg casserole and waffles not shown :)
TBone Plated 12.27.2019.jpg
TBone Grilling 12.27.2019.jpg
Sweet Roll Plated 12-25-2019.jpg
Sweet Rolls Preicing 12-25-2019.jpg
IMG_3703.jpg
Guiness Cookies and Rum Cakes 12.23.2019.jpg

Last night's dinner party for 8 menu:
20191228_121959.jpg

Appetizers: paired with ginger hibiscus champagne cocktail
20191228_183346.jpg

First course: roasted marrow bones paired with a 2004 cabernet
20191228_193925.jpg

Second course pumpkin curry soup grilled shrimp and sauteed pancetta, coconut milk drizzled. Paired with a viognier
20191228_202023.jpg

The main: smoked prime rib over mushroom duxelle paired with a sour belgian from a local brewery.
20191228_212531.jpg

And dessert: creme brulee cheesecake, coffee icecream paired with Mumm brut prestige.
20191228_224328.jpg

Dang y'all got me salivating here!!

I made a Hungarian goulash last night, in the Instant Pot - half venison stew cubes and half grass-fed beef stew cubes. Turned out awesome. Forgot to take pictures - will try to do that when we serve it up again tonight at which point I expect it will taste even BETTER!

Dungeness crab season - our neighbors are part of a co-op and had more crab than they could finish
View attachment 659423

Had a bunch of leftover Dungeness crab from Christmas eve dinner...

Reheated it in garlic butter and sprinkled with crushed up caesar croutons. It was delicious and way better than crab cakes. I don't know why people waste delicious crab by adding all those other ingredients for crab cakes...

Fried the tortilla shells, yes. Did not make the tortilla.
Yeah, there is a line. If I can't make a product significantly better than what I can buy, I buy it. Uncooked tortillas is one of them.
Nice tacos.

cajun melted.jpg
Having an HB Quad and cooking cajun chicken. Pounded them to almost 1/4" and used a random cajun blend which turned out 85% well. I eat the breasts with a side of mayo to sidestep the carbs. If someone were so inclined, melting Colby cheese on the breasts and serving them on a buttered and grilled French bread with shredded ice burg lettuce, tomato and mayo is nice.
I edited to put the correct final dish photo
pan plus quad.jpg
butter pan.jpg
cajun sizzling.jpg
View attachment 659527

Last edited:
regretted the extra patty
Very nice burger!
So you fizzled out after one double That's probably smart. I ate both that were in my photo above. Let's see...5 1/3 oz patties times 4...equals a LOT of beef. I was fine afterward, obviously full, and it did cover lunch and dinner for me.

Forgot pictures again but tonight made a brined/bone-in/rotisseried pork loin, turnips au gratin, homemade cranberry jalapeno sauce. It's our 25th anniversary and we opted to stay home. Works for me! Champagne toasts coming up here in 15 minutes when the first volley of aerial fireworks goes off to acknowledge the New Year in Times' Square - then in two more hours, they do it again here for our own New Year celebration. We have front row seats in our own living room windows. No cold, no crowds, no parking and no trying to beat everyone else home!

Home alone (well with the cat) today, but that doesn't mean I can't get a riff on choûcroute garní going, and I'll have leftovers! Staples for me are bacon and Slovenian sausage from the local charcuterie king. Rendered diced bacon and caramelized onion with it. Drained natural, organic sauerkraut went in, along with the sausage, sliced peeled apple, a little caraway and a grating of nutmeg, a grind of pepper, and covered with beer (Coors Banquet was on hand; I've learned that even my Helles is a touch too bitter for this application.) Going to have it with parsley potatoes and bread (mine of course) and butter. Then probably a nap.

I did a 15.5 pound prime rib last night on my pellet smoker for friends and family. That will feed a lot of people.
Nice. Any photos? I'm going to try and get a R-MR money shot. We'll see. We chill on NYE so I'm going to be drinking CBS and Backwoods Bastard.

Beer brind pork loin, browned in castiron skillet,then into a 400 degree oven until interior temperature was 155 degree, tented with aluminum foil for 15 minutes, and sliced for New year's dinner.

Back