What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_8469.JPG

IMG_8470.JPG

Bye bye.

Eggs are one of the things I will not use the All-Clad for. I pull out the nonstick for those. There might be some guru out there who's figured out how to cook an egg in all-clad, but not me.
Not impossible, but with a wel seasoned cast iron and a non-stick teflon always handy, I don't see a reason to struggle.

The issue wasn’t the eggs themselves sticking, it was all the whispy pieces of egg white that floated around and finally settled on the bottom.
do you adf acid to your poaching water? Vinegar or lemon or lime juice helps coagulation of the whites.

Teflon releases fumes when over-heated that will kill parakeets, even when we can't smell it. If I HAVE to use Teflon, I guess I can use the propane on the back porch, but nothing in the house. It is just one of MANY ways the household had to shift around those birds...
We used them with birds in the house when I was a kid. We never put them on over medium heat and always did their 1st bake/high heat outside on the grill.

Get a better brie. There are quite few out there that are exceedingly marginal.
There are quite a few that are exceedingly inedible!

Not impossible, but with a wel seasoned cast iron and a non-stick teflon always handy, I don't see a reason to struggle.

do you adf acid to your poaching water? Vinegar or lemon or lime juice helps coagulation of the whites.

We used them with birds in the house when I was a kid. We never put them on over medium heat and always did their 1st bake/high heat outside on the grill.

There are quite a few that are exceedingly inedible!

Yup I always acidify with white vinegar. But I really don’t know how much is the right amount. Probably a second use for my pH meter.

My rule of thumb with Brie is that if it looks like it’s holding its shape on its own I don’t buy it. I want to see it ooze. My normal grocery store fortunately has a really good cheese offering so this is easy to come by.

Chili turned out really well. Wife loves it and it’s pretty Keto since I left out beans and replace them with meat.
IMG_1677.JPG

Wife ordered some baking mix from Amazon. I can’t remember the name. So I made these cheddar biscuits last night from the recipe on the box. Supposed to be around 1.7 grams of carbs each. These were surprisingly good!
IMG_1679.JPG

Legumes may be high in carbs but they are complex carbs and lots of insoluble fiber too. In some cases over 1/3rd is in fiber. So the real carb intake is lower than say.......a baked potato or rice in the same portion size. The glysemic index of some legumes is about 1/3rd of a baked potato.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/11/16/ask-the-expert-legumes-and-resistant-starch/

Try some Edens Foods black soy beans sometime. Only 8grams of carbs and 7grams of it is fiber but it packs in 11grams of protein.
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/2814657/2

Last edited:
Travis, was that Carbquik you used? They have a recipe for cheddar biscuits on the box, or at least they did. I like that stuff, I use it for quite a few things, including the old "impossible Bisquick pies" recipes - just use the Carbquik in place of Bisquick.

It's also good for thickening gravies and stuff! AND you can make a roux with it, you just have to watch it really carefully.

Fyi, instead of hand chopping the meat like I usually do, I used my Kitchen-aid meat grinder attachment (that I didn't know I had) for the first time - inherited with a bunch of accessories. While I will openly tell you that its not the best meat grinder, It's good enough.

I've been dying to grind my meat. Target had the KA attachment on sale during Christmas for $30. I returned it because Amazon had a lightening deal for this $30 two weeks later. Reviews were similar but I like the metalView attachment 608269
Is it all metal? Mine is plastic and metal and has some cracks in the plastc housing. Will eventually be replaced due to difficulty with sanitation .

Is it all metal? Mine is plastic and metal and has some cracks in the plastc housing. Will eventually be replaced due to difficulty with sanitation .

All metal. I read about some of the KA breaking and I like the cleanliness of metal. Metal can still break tho but I also like the idea of chilling the metal before grinding. I have an old beefy cast iron one I've never used

I’ve had my KA grinder since 2006 and it’s always been dishwasher washed. Shockingly the plastic is still flawless. Only maintenance I do is put a drop of oil on the o-ring before use.

Plastic made today is not the same as a decade ago though. All those toxic additives were there for a good reason and the chemists knew why.

The grinder does a good texture for sausage but for burgers it’s too course and doesn’t make long enough ropes. IMHO.

Last edited:
I’ve had my KA grinder since 2006 and it’s always been dishwasher washed. Shockingly the plastic is still flawless. Only maintenance I do is put a drop of oil on the o-ring before use.

Plastic made today is not the same of a decade ago though. All those toxic additives were there for a good reason and the chemists knew why.

The grinder does a good texture for sausage but for burgers it’s too course and doesn’t make long enough ropes. IMHO.
I came very close to keeping both. Can't go wrong for $30.

Travis, was that Carbquik you used? They have a recipe for cheddar biscuits on the box, or at least they did. I like that stuff, I use it for quite a few things, including the old "impossible Bisquick pies" recipes - just use the Carbquik in place of Bisquick.

It's also good for thickening gravies and stuff! AND you can make a roux with it, you just have to watch it really carefully.

Yep, that's the stuff. The biscuits were good but they are the only thing I have used it for so far. I did not know about doing roux with it. I'm going to make sausage balls again and use it in place of the bisquik!

This was dinner. Chicken fried in pure lard. NO seasoning, NO breading just -CHICKEN- and then just before serving you brush with melted garlic butter. OMG stand aside Colonel Sanders, I no longer love you!

It was crispy and delicious.

View attachment 608486
My grandmother used to do pork chops that way. But with this twist. Dredge in flour, then in raw scrambled eggs, then in saltine crackers. Fry in lard to brown the breading. Then pressure cook. How long I don't know. I just remember doing the crackers in a hand grinder and then doing the breading for her.

Dude, my sister and I would eat three or four of them each at picnics. To this day my older sister talks about grandma's poke chops.

I have yet to attempt to reproduce them. You might have inspired me.

So, how much lard.

This was dinner. Chicken fried in pure lard. NO seasoning, NO breading just -CHICKEN- and then just before serving you brush with melted garlic butter. OMG stand aside Colonel Sanders, I no longer love you!

It was crispy and delicious.

View attachment 608486
Come to think of it...

My mother did something like this. Melt the lard. Sear your plain pork chops or do breakfast sausage links in lard.

Remove the meat. Turn down to low. Put layers of sliced potatoes and onion slices in the lard with a layer of cracked black pepper season salt. Then a second and third layer. Each with black and season salt. I like Lawries and red pepper flakes. Then put the meat on top of the potatoes cover and heat on low. The meat will steam and the fat will drip into the onion potato mixture.

This will work in a crock pot or Dutch oven as long as you brown the meat first.

Even a roast browned will work too if you plan to use a crock pot.

I used to do this in college with Smoked Eckridge Sausage. I'd douse with ketchup. All of this was a comfort food for me in college. Namely the Eckridge Sausage rendition.

Last edited:
So, how much lard.

The amount of lard depends on your pan size! :) You want the food about 1/2 submerged in it. You can see in the picture that the top of the chicken is about half out of the fat.

MMMM fried pork chops, yum. I eat very low carb so no breading for me but it sure sounds good!

So now I have half a pan of lard left over. I have this brilliant idea to warm it up just til liquid, then pour it into my stainless steel French press and press down the strainer, thereby containing all the "bits" in the bottom of the press, then pour off the liquid into a quart Mason jar, seal with the vacuum sealer, and MAYBE refrigerate, or not, til next need.

I'll then wipe out the stuff in the bottom of the press and run it through the dishwasher.

I have an extra strainer/plunger for it so I think I'll use that one exclusively for this purpose. We'll see how that works! :)

The amount of lard depends on your pan size! :) You want the food about 1/2 submerged in it. You can see in the picture that the top of the chicken is about half out of the fat.

MMMM fried pork chops, yum. I eat very low carb so no breading for me but it sure sounds good!

So now I have half a pan of lard left over. I have this brilliant idea to warm it up just til liquid, then pour it into my stainless steel French press and press down the strainer, thereby containing all the "bits" in the bottom of the press, then pour off the liquid into a quart Mason jar, seal with the vacuum sealer, and MAYBE refrigerate, or not, til next need.

I'll then wipe out the stuff in the bottom of the press and run it through the dishwasher.

I have an extra strainer/plunger for it so I think I'll use that one exclusively for this purpose. We'll see how that works! :)
Bacon is good for this too. Fry up a pound of extra thick cut bacon. Then poach eggs in the bacon grease. I imagine anything fried in that grease would be great.

My wife’s grandmother kept her cast iron pan filled with lard in her basement. She’d heat it up, deep fry some donuts and then put it back in the basement. She lived to 91. Cheers!

Yeah, that pan is full of about 1/2 bacon fat and 1/2 "new" lard. Seriously yum.
You inspired me make my pork chop and potato fiasco tonight.

The last time I made this it was a fiasco because my drunk buddy burnt the flock out of it.

He was passed-out, woke up, smelled stuff cooking looked at it, assumed it was done and shut off the burner on the Dutch oven. Then poured himself another whiskey. I'm doing laundry, folding clothes. Gone for about 20 minutes. I knew it would be ok if it steamed on low (#2 electric stove) a little longer. It needed to go a full 60 minutes.

Turns out dip-schlitz didn't turn off the burner. He put it on 10!!! I get back to the kitchen I'm WTF!!! He's like dinner's done I shut it off. Meanwhile the schìț is burnt and now smoking as he sips his whisky and surfs Facebook, oblivious as to what he's done.

I could have killed him. I pitched it in the trash and left his sorry ass and went to buffalo wild wings. Sat at the bar by myself and drank two fat tires and ate a basket of hot wings.

So today, no laundry, no drunk friend. I should be o.k..

Last edited:
Back