What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big pot of peas is cooking now. Cabbage is cut up and ready to steam. Diced ham, bacon, onion, and tomatoes are ready as garnishes for the peas. Rice is rinsed and ready to cook. I have a couple of hours to spare and only cornbread to make!!
IMG_1625.JPG

Made the Bologna city academy of cusine bolognese on New Years. It was so good as usual but they had no pancetta so I subbed in bacon. Not the same but still good. Also had cesar salad from the bag kit. The pasta, that dececco, I perceive as better than some of the other pastas. I made it in a smaller pan and now I dont know if I like it better stewed or more fried in larger skillet. New app wont let me upload pictures? Says they are too big. So screen shots for now. Knife work on bolognese was hard in inlaws house. Flank steak that was frozen, defrosted and grilled. Daughter got a pop tart maker and wanted to make more of these. So I made the dough and filled with rasberry preserves. Later we frosted them. Btw anyone have a good dough recipe for this kind of dough.
Screenshot_2019-01-02-08-10-05.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-02-08-09-42.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-02-08-09-25.jpeg

sounds tasty and the carmelized onions are making me hungry. How did the beer brine work out? Wonder how tenfidy would work as a brine vs a neipa.

I used a dubbel I had that had gone flat basic beer brine recipe with garlic onion and fresh rosemary. I wouldn’t want to use a beer that is overly bitter. Anyway, I thought it was good, husband complained though he’s had it before. We both have cold symptoms so maybe that has something to do with his sudden onset of poor taste ;)

We're still working the kinks out, but in short it's just panko, flour and oats. Brie went into an egg wash, coating, egg wash and coating then into the oil. We need to figure out brie temp and oil temp and I think the oats need broken down a bit more first. We we're trying to replicate this (https://offthemenublog.wordpress.com/2011/06/12/steal-of-a-meal-montrio-bistro/).

Deep fry or pan fry?

I had something like this as a garnish on a dish when i was in the UK last fall. It was a huge bowl of butternut squash risotto (with a touch of vanilla) and a giant slab of beer battered brie on top. It was all amazing and its on my list to recreate.

I had some really good wings once and I think he fryed them, then pulled them out and mixed them with a stick of butter and hot sauce. He might have double fryed them. Anyone familiar with this technique? I think an air fryer would be a good wing option.
I season my wings with Garlic Pepper Salt, let set overnight in the fridge, and then fry in a wok with equal parts Tapatio and butter. The wings soak up the Tapatio a lot faster than the butter so I lay them out first-to-last so people can choose their heat level.

Mmmm... home made clam chowder using freshly caught razor clams. That sounds amazing, but I don't see any sourdough (or beer) laying around to go with it. Although, whenever I see razor clams I think...

Razor clams shudder in terror of the geoduk... (gooey-duck)

t_moby1.jpg

I've pulled a few of these myself, not as bit as the titan in the photo!
Yes, for those not from the PNW. That is a CLAM.

Mmmm... home made clam chowder using freshly caught razor clams. That sounds amazing, but I don't see any sourdough (or beer) laying around to go with it. Although, whenever I see razor clams I think...

Razor clams shudder in terror of the geoduk... (gooey-duck)

t_moby1.jpg

I've pulled a few of these myself, not as bit as the titan in the photo!
Yes, for those not from the PNW. That is a CLAM.

Our Asian market has them fresh. Ive been so tempted to get 1 or 2 and see how they work for a chowder.

Sous Vide 3/18 meat because that’s all Captain Brilliant here wrote on the vacuum sealed bag found in the freezer. 130° for 3 hours then finished in the hot fondant potato cast iron pan goodness.

View attachment 605887
Looks awesome! I have got to try those potatoes. I snagged the recipes for those and the little potato puff things that you or somebody else posted a while back and I need to make both of them!

New toys came from amazon today

What’s most amazing is all 4 fit on my cook top together, something my old pans could never do.

I have a whole pot rack full of Allclad SS and we love that stuff. If you don't already own some, I'm sure you'll love using them.

I have a whole pot rack full of Allclad SS and we love that stuff. If you don't already own some, I'm sure you'll love using them.

I like them, although i've had to make a lot of adjustments. I've used them all, but my favorite so far is the saucier.

My older pans have a very very thick copper layer on bottom that holds a lot of heat. I've burned butter twice now warming butter in the All-Clad because it took no time at all.

My older frying pans have a different lip than the all clad does. The first time i gave a pan of mushrooms a flip i sent half them onto the stove top.

And lastly i poached some eggs in the large 5 qt saute pan, and i've never spent so much time cleaning 1 pan before. Egg is now permanently affixed to the pan after 1 use. I was able to get most of it off with baking soda, vinegar and a lot of scrubbing, but some i couldn't even get off with my finger nail. My previous egg poaching pan was semi-non stick and was a breeze to clean. Gonna have to find something better for this as it's not sustainable.

I have a feeling i'll be buying more and tossing my old stuff even though it's perfectly good because the dimensions of this stuff is so much better suited to how I cook.

Shame and regret. Impromptu deep fry.

Wanted to try my hand at fried pickles. Omg best I’ve ever had in my life.

Also wanted to try homemade cheese sticks. Had some technical difficulties but in general good. Used a string cheese stick, Colby jack stick, baby bel, 3 yr aged cheddar and pepper jack. Best was the string cheese and the baby bel was a close second!

Breading was light coat of flour, quick dip in egg and then seasoned panko. Put in freezer for half an hour to firm up.

56860027900__58850600-8AF0-48AD-9727-4A368FA7AAA7.jpg

Ham -- "Cooks" brand bone-in. Rubbed with a mixture of brown sugar, bacon fat, Worcestershire, soy sauce, and liquid smoke, cloves and allspice. Wrapped tightly in foil and baked @ 275 for ~3 hours.

"Red-eye gravy" -- Ham pan bottom and drippings, added brown sugar, clove, allspice and plenty of strong black coffee. Reduced for 20 minutes and thickened with cornstarch water. An Alaskan delicacy!

Brussels sprouts -- McCormick Vegetable seasoning and bacon fat, roasted @ 425 loosely covered for ~35 minutes

Butternut squash -- Pan-roasted with butter, brown sugar, allspice and cinnamon. Cranked the pan to high, added the squash then covered and reduced heat to med-low. Shook the pan every 5 minutes.

Paired with some of my US-05 cheap juice cider

merE6AP.jpg

Last edited:
Shame and regret. Impromptu deep fry.

Wanted to try my hand at fried pickles. Omg best I’ve ever had in my life.

Also wanted to try homemade cheese sticks. Had some technical difficulties but in general good. Used a string cheese stick, Colby jack stick, baby bel, 3 yr aged cheddar and pepper jack. Best was the string cheese and the baby bel was a close second!

Breading was light coat of flour, quick dip in egg and then seasoned panko. Put in freezer for half an hour to firm up.

View attachment 606138

I deep fried cheese sticks once. There was no cheese inside when done - breading straws. I failed to freeze first.

I deep fried cheese sticks once. There was no cheese inside when done - breading straws. I failed to freeze first.

The advice I read, and somewhat ignored was to flour, then egg, then crumb, then egg and crumb again. In hindsight that heavy coating is key for forming an impermeable shell. I had my 5 year old helping me with the breading process and thought that would have made it too hard to do with him.

I did freeze for about 30 minutes. Was better than nothing. I only ended up with a (delicious crispy) shell on the 3 yr cheddar. That stuff made a huge goddamn mess of my fry oil and I had to filter it through a paper filter.... I would have dumped it had it not been replaced 2 weeks / 3 sessions ago.

I am not, but dang I am prolific. I am working the dough to cold for starters, and for some reason after a few days the fermenting (?) dough seems to wet to rework with flour. It does produce a very airy soft dough. When I worked it with flour it took to much in. Do you (anyone else) have any good pizza dough recipes? Been wanting one. I dont know how it will work in bulk, but its time I at least try. Maybe pizza thread is better place, but thought I would ask here.

Latest posts

Back