What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You inspired me make my pork chop and potato fiasco tonight.

The last time I made this it was a fiasco because my drunk buddy burnt the flock out it.

He was passed-out, woke up, smelled stuff cooking looked at it, assumed it was done and shut off the burner on the Dutch oven. Then poured himself another whiskey. I'm doing laundry, folding clothes. Gone for about 20 minutes. I knew it would be ok if it steamed on low (#2 electric stove) a little longer. It needed to go a full 60 minutes.

Turns out dip-schlitz didn't turn off the burner. He put it on 10!!! I get back to the kitchen I'm WTF!!! He's like dinner's done I shut it off. Meanwhile the schìț is burnt and now smoking as he sips his whisky and surfs Facebook, oblivious as to what he's done.

I could have killed him. I pitched it in the trash and left his sorry ass and went to buffalo wild wings. Sat at the bar by myself and drank two fat tires and ate a basket of hot wings.

So today, no laundry, no drunk friend. I should be o.k..

LOL, thanks, I needed that visual and those belly-laughs!

Turned the meat into taco meat, was quite yummy!
IMG_20190123_181812.jpg

I always assumed you were older than that story makes you sound.
Just so you know....

He was and is still is a good friend, but he was a drunk. He's quit drinking and his wife keeps him in check.

He was my work roommate for four years. Both of us are married. He could drink a half gallon of whisky in two or three days. That's more than 18 shots of whiskey a day. Actually 21 to 32 oz of whiskey a day. But he would still make it to work everyday at 8AM. It's only because he was passed out by 8pm on most days.

4 out of 5 days he slept in a lazyboy instead of his bed.

2 out 5 days he slept on the floor because he fell out of the lazyboy.

He once punched a hole in my bathroom wall because of something a politician said on TV.

He once pissed on himself after he fell in the bath tub and broke the shower rod.

He once called his 16 year old daughter a fooking whore on his cell phone about 30 times in a drunken stupor.

He once fell in a sewer in Mexico because they left it open on the side walk. But he was to drunk to notice. Lucky he didn't get majorly injured. Guess who helped him out.

I also cooked for him every work day because he was too drunk to actually make his dinner.

Caring for a drunk is no fun.

Last edited:
This was dinner. Chicken fried in pure lard. NO seasoning, NO breading just -CHICKEN- and then just before serving you brush with melted garlic butter. OMG stand aside Colonel Sanders, I no longer love you!

It was crispy and delicious.

View attachment 608486

I’m loving this. Tell us about the chicken. Also the lard. Just the regular grocery store stuff (Armour) or do you have a better option? Also time and fat temp. I’m doing low carb too and will be trying this soon!

IMG_7278.JPG

This is my awsome dinner tonight!

Smoker? Oh, boy I’ve had one on my wish list for a while.

Can you send a sample Taco to my house by drone? [emoji12]

This was dinner. Chicken fried in pure lard. NO seasoning, NO breading just -CHICKEN- and then just before serving you brush with melted garlic butter. OMG stand aside Colonel Sanders, I no longer love you!

It was crispy and delicious.

View attachment 608486
Oh wow, that chicken is jumping out of my screen. I like the melted butter finishing touch. Need to try this. My grandpa btw was always going on about the best mexican food having lard in the refried beans. Haha, just read the lard talk, funny, I thought of Grandpa before reading those other comments, glad we are all connected to lard in some way. Lol, gramps kept a trader joes candy stash. Orange slices, ring gels, chocolate chunks, jelly beans, gummys, you name it. My cousin and I would search his stash out like bloodhounds. Haha, we would find it, and the next day, poof, gone. He never said a word to us and us to him. Never saw him eat any either. He played solitaire while drinking scotch (one shot a day, no more no less and or one beer) and listening to only the finest classical. He was a great man. He married my gma and was the only grandpa I knew. Basically too bad I didnt get his genes. He built the la to san Francisco aqau duct and the chico dam. My bio gp was a strong baker who liked to drink and gamble, haha, it all makes sense now.

Last edited:
I always assumed you were older than that story makes you sound.
I don't know if that's a complement or a criticism. I'm assuming the latter. Don't assume that's a one off situation. Read the other post. You might have a better sense of my aggravation.

Truth be told at 50+ I'm still pretty damn sophomoric and like to drink myself.

I was really tempted to post the picture where he was hanging off the lazyboy passed out, flayling around knocking over my beer, then hanging off the other end of the chair. Pissed because the beer he knocked over was in my lap. I tapped the lazyboy with just two fingers. He fell out of the lazyboy and it some how it, the lazyboy, fell on him. I'm taking pictures of him laughing. The camera flash going off makes him come to... He says "Thank you!".

I want to protect him so I zoomed in on these pictures, just so you know I'm not full of crap.

LOL, thanks, I needed that visual and those belly-laughs!
Glad you liked that! [emoji482]
Screenshot_2019-01-23-21-53-39.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-23-21-57-48.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-23-21-58-29.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know if that's a complement or a criticism. I'm assuming the latter. Don't assume that's a one off situation. Read the other post. You might have a better sense of my aggravation.

Truth be told at 50+ I'm still pretty damn sophomoric and like to drink myself.

I was really tempted to post the picture where he was hanging off the lazyboy passed out, flayling around knocking over my beer, then hanging off the other end of the chair. Pissed because the beer he knocked over was in my lap. I tapped the lazyboy with just two fingers. He fell out of the lazyboy and it some how it, the lazyboy, fell on him. I'm taking pictures of him laughing. The camera flash going off makes him come to... He says "Thank you!".

I want to protect him so I zoomed in on these pictures, just so you know I'm not full of crap.

Glad you liked that! [emoji482] View attachment 608808View attachment 608809View attachment 608810

I must have touched a nerve. Sorry.

You have confirmed the age I suspected you were. You have also shown that your are a great friend and like to have a good time. I have no further questions at this time. Your witness;)

II suppose it's a compliment;)

I must have touched a nerve. Sorry.

You have confirmed the age I suspected you were. You have also shown that your are a great friend and like to have a good time. I have no further questions at this time. Your witness;)

II suppose it's a compliment;)
No problem. It sounds like I read too much into your post. Sorry about that.

I thought you might have thought I was being an a-hole to my friend, being immature, petty or overreacting. This happened near the end of our cohabitating.

As it's evident I was really pissed that day. I wound up apologizing the next day cause I really blew a gasket. I think it was long coming though over a bunch of things all related to the general situation.

It was a bit funny looking back at it now.

Cheers to beers! [emoji482]

Here's the fiasco ....

20190124_000205.jpeg
20190124_000359.jpeg

Last edited:
Pork chops were very tender. Potatoes were nice and spicy. Used lots of black pepper and red pepper flakes. I doused it with famous Dave's Rib Rub as I layered the onions and taters.

I’m loving this. Tell us about the chicken. Also the lard. Just the regular grocery store stuff (Armour) or do you have a better option? Also time and fat temp. I’m doing low carb too and will be trying this soon!

A good old Foster Farms 5 pound chicken, which I cut up. NO seasoning on it of any kind. Lard was partly a jar of the "expensive organic stuff" I bought at Walmart and part a tub of stuff I bought on Amazon which did NOT have partially-hydrogenated crap in it and part some rendered bacon fat which I keep in a quart jar in the fridge. Probably about 1/3 of each, more or less, but it wouldn't really matter, all lard from a bucket would be fine but I will not buy it if it says "partially hydrogenated" on it - that crap'll kill ya! ;)

12" cast iron skillet, belonged to DH's Mom who fried many a chicken in it. I melted the lard in it til it was about 1/2 way up the sides. Brought it to 350* and then put the chicken pieces in. I had cut the HUGE breast pieces into halves crosswise, making 4 breast pieces total. I got all the chicken into the pan except those last two pieces of breast, which I saved to do as a second batch since it cooks faster.

Skin side down first, cover, 15 to 20 minutes; then turn over and leave uncovered another 15 to 20 or til your instant-read thermometer says it's done - I do it to 160* and then let it sit in a warm oven til it's all cooked.

Topping was a cube of butter, melted, with some garlic salt and garlic powder added to taste. Just before serving, brush that melted butter all over the chicken. It was some DANG GOOD EATIN' I can tell you!

There is a guy online called "Butter Bob" who has a YouTube video called "Butter makes your pants fall off" - watching that got us firmly back on the low carb bandwagon and we're actually gonna try it keto-style this time. He also has a video on making that chicken but he WAY overcooks his IMHO. Still, that garlic butter would make an overfried flip-flop taste good! LOL!

Just some trimmings I assume? How does that flavor come through to the meat? I would imagine the smoker smells double good now!

Yeah, just trimmings. It comes through enough...you get some mmmpop from it :) I made a tent to also help trap the smoke though. I babysat the smoker.

Yeah, just trimmings. It comes through enough...you get some mmmpop from it :) I made a tent to also help trap the smoke though. I babysat the smoker.

MmmmFlavor? Or MmmmEffect?
What uh, flavor of pellets did you use.

I've used trunk and large branches in the fire-box but not that much uh, pellets.

I do smoke jerk chicken on bay leaves. I've thought about trying with fan leaves. Also thought about using fan in place of banana leaf for pork shoulder. Wasn't sure about the flavor though.

MmmmFlavor? Or MmmmEffect?
What uh, flavor of pellets did you use.

I've used trunk and large branches in the fire-box but not that much uh, pellets.

I do smoke jerk chicken on bay leaves. I've thought about trying with fan leaves. Also thought about using fan in place of banana leaf for pork shoulder. Wasn't sure about the flavor though.

Less flavor, more effect...then again I was monitoring the smoke output with an eagle eye, so there's that. It smelled pleasant.

I used cannabis stems, leaves and some flowers from my plant(s). Was a mix of strawberry banana, blueberry og, blackberry kush, and Skittles...if my memory is correct.

No plants last 2 years due to changes in local ordinances: must be indoor only in detached building with filtration and register and fee.

I like my herbs like I like my tomatoes: grown outdoors with sun and earth. May lack some potency, but makes up with flavor and aroma.

Less flavor, more effect...then again I was monitoring the smoke output with an eagle eye, so there's that. It smelled pleasant.

I used cannabis stems, leaves and some flowers from my plant(s). Was a mix of strawberry banana, blueberry og, blackberry kush, and Skittles...if my memory is correct.

I choose your FotD offer.

No plants last 2 years due to changes in local ordinances: must be indoor only in detached building with filtration and register and fee.

I like my herbs like I like my tomatoes: grown outdoors with sun and earth. May lack some potency, but makes up with flavor and aroma.

That's my usual go to, but I'll nutrient blast them throughout their growing stages. I may not this year though, fully organic is the idea except a perimeter to keep the worms/caterpillars away.

Haha, lmao at all this twistedgray. Watching the smoker with an Eagle Eye, love it. Surprised you didn't have all your neighbors standing around the smoker making sure that it was thin blue smoke. There is a pretty cool Brewery in Denver called dads and something.

Hey thanks, I put them to braise in the oven @250F 3-4 hours (I’m not sure, I did a visual and tong squishing to check for tenderness) then boosted the temp to 300F for the last 45 mins. They were fall off the bone tender, and stayed on the bone. :)

Maybe baked goods in future offers...mmmmmmm cookies
You're out by Monterey or Santa Cruz iirc. I have a possible/tennative camp trip at mt Madonna in a few months. If you camp, like home brew, don't mind herbals and can deal 30-50 people who like that sort of thing... I'll hit you up if interested and I end up going. If nothing else, maybe meet in town for a brew and cookie-swap.
Hey thanks, I put them to braise in the oven @250F 3-4 hours (I’m not sure, I did a visual and tong squishing to check for tenderness) then boosted the temp to 300F for the last 45 mins. They were fall off the bone tender, and stayed on the bone. :)
Mirepoix for the aromatic base? Looks delicious. Luve me some braised short ribs.

You're out by Monterey or Santa Cruz iirc. I have a possible/tennative camp trip at mt Madonna in a few months. If you camp, like home brew, don't mind herbals and can deal 30-50 people who like that sort of thing... I'll hit you up if interested and I end up going. If nothing else, maybe meet in town for a brew and cookie-swap.

Mirepoix for the aromatic base? Looks delicious. Luve me some braised short ribs.

Might be fun! Salinas to be exact.

I agree. I think I'd take my grill over cast iron pan and sous vide in that order. Not that it's bad but not as incredible as everyone makes it. I couldn't for the life of me sous vide a hard boiled egg. Never would set. The best thing I've ever made sous vide was egg nog :) That was incredible but that might have been the recipe

agree. I think I'd take my grill over cast iron pan and sous vide in that order.
Grill and cast iron over gas/fire are equally but used for their intended purpose. I could begrudgingly give up cast iron as long as I had a good selection of pots/pans but would hate to be without a bbq.

I don't routinely sous vide and haven't been impressed by anything I've made, or anyone else except for veggies. Though not that impressed. The only thing I really like to use it for is reheating. I've bagged precooked meat, soups and stews and reheating in a water bath in their vacuum bags is nice. I've even done it camping in my Dutch oven hanging over a fire.

Back