What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spicy mutter paneer

IMG_6390.jpg

Omg these 3 dishes tonight, wow. Remmy, love the work you do. Jon beautiful ratatouille and cpany perhaps one of the finest looking braise ever.

Pear preserves with ginger.A partial to eat, one for the shelf, one for the state fair competition...if I can get registered by the 15th...operation with just my left arm, following rotator cuff surgery...and I'm right handed. Made these last week, just before the surgery.

View attachment 1505184097485.jpg

View attachment 1505184123803.jpg

Did you make the pickled daikon? If so, would you be so kind as to share your recipe? I love that stuff!

Yes it homemade. Mine leans more to the Chinese version instead of the fermented Korean or Japanese styles.

Make a standard sweet pickle brine but use Korean rice wine vinegar. Probably need about 10% more vinegar than normal since is a tiny bit less acidic.

Weep the sliced radish in 50/50 sugar/salt for about 2 hours. Mixing every 30min. Quick rinse and drain if doing it in a bowl. You can skip it if using a colander.

Put the radish in a bowl now with a little turmeric and mix it up. All you want is for the turmeric to stain the radish for 30min-1hr. Its not really needed. Quick rinse to remove any loose turmeric.

Put a slice of fresh or candied ginger in the bottom of a Mason jar. I like a couple black and sichuan peppercorns in mine.

Put about half the radish on top then 1-2 dried chili peppers and then the rest of the radish.

Fill the jar with the hot sweet pickle brine and put on the lid/band. It doesn't need to be boiling hot. Let it set at room temp until cool. Once its cool put it in the fridge.

Its ready within a week.

TIP:
Add the ginger and peppercorns to the brine while its heating if you want a stronger flavor.
73XNwC8.jpg

SWMBO and I picked up a pressure cooker over the weekend. This lamb shank stew was cooked in about 1.5 hours (a traditional slow cook would've taken a good 4-5 hours).

Oh you're gonna have so much fun with that! I have several, my favorite is the newest one I own, an Instant Pot. I won't cook hardboiled eggs any other way now, and it's fantastic for quick cooking beans. Love it also for chile verde or chile colorado, beef stew, lamb shanks, any number of yummy goodies.

Yum, thank you!

This wont taste quite like Korean danmuji or Japanese takuan but it dont take a month to make either. You can get the texture closer if you use a older radish that is starting to get "flexible" from drying out. In Japan they let the daikon dry for like a month until you can bend it almost in half.

If you want to make the more authentic Korean version look up "danmuji" on Maangchi's website. It takes about a month to make it and 1 of the ingredients is a PITA to find plus its expensive.

My version will taste extremely similar to the Chinese version though.

I love the Japanese version as served at our favorite local Japanese restaurant - when I order sukiyaki, I get a small dish of tsukemono with daikon, cucumber, eggplant, and something else, I forget what it is at the moment. Slightly salty, a tad bit of sweet, pickled goodness. Man I love that stuff.

I love the Japanese version as served at our favorite local Japanese restaurant - when I order sukiyaki, I get a small dish of tsukemono with daikon, cucumber, eggplant, and something else, I forget what it is at the moment. Slightly salty, a tad bit of sweet, pickled goodness. Man I love that stuff.

I just buy the real imported stuff from Japan. Its only a couple dollars but it has food coloring and other artificial garbage too. Dried gardenia fruit is the natural coloring they use in Korea and its a real PITA to find even with my huge selection of Asian markets.

Pineapple habanero teriyaki chicken wings. It sounds hot but they are mild actually. The base of the sauce is Rothchild Farms Roasted Pineapple Habanero sauce. (Costco has it cheap) Just add some dark soy sauce, tiny bit of vinegar (i used red balsamic) ginger and sweet sake (mirin) or Chinese rice wine....Add some extra habs if you like hot cause its really mild to me.

1-1.5cups Rothchilds
2-3 Tbs soy sauce or Tamari
1 Tbs vinegar
2 Tbs rice wine
1/2 Tsp powder ginger....about 2 tsp of fresh is way better
Addition peppers (optional)
Couple tsp of Dark Sesame oil (optional but adds a nice flavor)
Heat it up for a few minutes to incorporate the flavors and to reduce if desired.

This is actually pretty low in sodium since the Rothchilds sauce has ZERO added salt. I used a reduced sodium Tamari because i like the stronger flavor of Tamari. It also has no wheat if you are sensitive to gluten.

Sorry no pics. They got hammered too fast.

Pear preserves with ginger.A partial to eat, one for the shelf, one for the state fair competition...if I can get registered by the 15th...operation with just my left arm, following rotator cuff surgery...and I'm right handed. Made these last week, just before the surgery.

Sorry to hear about the rotator cup surgery. I'm headed towards that as well :( Pears look awesome!

SWMBO and I picked up a pressure cooker over the weekend. This lamb shank stew was cooked in about 1.5 hours (a traditional slow cook would've taken a good 4-5 hours).

Oh you're gonna have so much fun with that! I have several, my favorite is the newest one I own, an Instant Pot. I won't cook hardboiled eggs any other way now, and it's fantastic for quick cooking beans. Love it also for chile verde or chile colorado, beef stew, lamb shanks, any number of yummy goodies.

I wandered on a Chile Verde recipe for a pressure cooker yesterday, then saw my copy of Temptd's Chile Colorado recipe, which when combined with my ADD led me to researching counter top pressure cookers! lol

I have a big stove top but have only used it for canning. I like the Breville but it's about twice as expensive as the InstaPot, but I'm one or the other after seeing how quickly they can accomplish things. Have not heard of using them for eggs. Now I'll have to look that up :)

Looks good AZ. Try it with toasted crushed rice some time. Easy to make and totally transforms the dish. Just dry toast some (1cup+/-) of short grained rice on low heat in your wok before you start everything else. Cook until golden brown but don't allow to burn. Cool then crush into small bits (5-6 pieces per grain, don't pulverize into powder). A spoon over each wrap makes a huge difference. It keeps a good long time, I get 2/3 meals out of a single batch and never had it go bad. According to my Thai friends it's not Larb Gai without it.

Looks good AZ. Try it with toasted crushed rice some time. Easy to make and totally transforms the dish. Just dry toast some (1cup+/-) of short grained rice on low heat in your wok before you start everything else. Cook until golden brown but don't allow to burn. Cool then crush into small bits (5-6 pieces per grain, don't pulverize into powder). A spoon over each wrap makes a huge difference. It keeps a good long time, I get 2/3 meals out of a single batch and never had it go bad. According to my Thai friends it's not Larb Gai without it.

The top left bowl is the Khao Khua (toasted rice powder). I prefer a really fine crush.

Latest posts

Back