What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekend I made a snickerdoodle cobbler, but I laid it out on the bottom, then poured apples and sauce on top of that, then I mixed up some crubles to go on top of that, and sprinkled some cinnamon sugar on top of that.

Oh, and some Fireball Whiskey in the sauce.

NY Strip, tender as can be, (hubby said like buttah) salad and mash.

image.jpeg

I making my "birthday dinner" tonight, as when my actual birthday rolled around last, the whole family wasn't here. Making fried chicken, mashed potatoes w/gravy, peas, beans, yeast rolls, and boiled custard w/strawberries for dessert.

If I can remember, and if I can fight off the family for long enough, I'll take a pic of the spread later.

I making my "birthday dinner" tonight, as when my actual birthday rolled around last, the whole family wasn't here. Making fried chicken, mashed potatoes w/gravy, peas, beans, yeast rolls, and boiled custard w/strawberries for dessert.

If I can remember, and if I can fight off the family for long enough, I'll take a pic of the spread later.

I did this.

L to R, front & back - butterbeans, yeast rolls, gluten-free *sigh* fried chicken pieces for my sister (they were actually good, the rice flour gives a very crispy texture; I had the wing-piece), mashed perderders, real Southern fried chicken, field peas, gravy, and boiled custard on the far right. Not pictured - strawberries for the custard.

2nHf1oS.jpg

A not-so-potato shot:

wfGBYXH.jpg

One thing is the rice-flour goes from that dull, uninteresting brown to burnt very quickly, so heat moderation was key. Notice the luscious, golden-brown colour of the real thing on the right... oh, my arteries are clogging up now...

My sons have been raising 20 of these for a few months. We are going to grill up 4 of them tonight. This is the before picture, obviously...

img_20170923_120645_01-68402.jpg

I hope the boys were smiling in the after picture. It's good to know where food comes from, though I must admit I'd eat less meat if I had dispatch what I would be eating.

I hope the boys were smiling in the after picture. It's good to know where food comes from, though I must admit I'd eat less meat if I had dispatch what I would be eating.

They raised them from chick to slaughter pretty much on their own with the understanding that they were food. It becomes a point of pride between them on who raises the bigger tastier birds.

We let the older boy raise turkeys this year and sell the birds after he slaughters them. The idea of making some change off the bird quickly overcomes any attachment he might have had.

They raised them from chick to slaughter pretty much on their own with the understanding that they were food. It becomes a point of pride between them on who raises the bigger tastier birds.

We let the older boy raise turkeys this year and sell the birds after he slaughters them. The idea of making some change off the bird quickly overcomes any attachment he might have had.

I applaud your child-raising method! I think it's really important to know where our food actually comes from. Good for you, and good for THEM! :rockin:

We had a friend of my stepson's whose mother raised sheep and goats. She offered us a lamb at a good price and I said yes, as long as I can come out when the knackerman shows up to dispatch the critter. She readily agreed. It was an experience, not a bad one at all, and that was one tasty lamb.

Chinese BBQ pork aka Char Siu made from scratch (no food coloring and authentic)
Homemade Danmuji (sweet pickled radish)
Homemade kimchi with nappa and Taiwanese cabbage...really old stuff too
Steamed short grain rice

Holy Crap! Got a recipe for that pork by any chance? :ban:

I can dig it up but some of the items are hard to find such as red fermented bean curd and Chu Hou paste

2 pieces of Chinese fermented red bean curd w/ 1Tbs of the liquid (mashed)
1 Tbs Chu Hou paste
1 Tbs Hoisin sauce
1 Tbs Oyster sauce
4 Tbs Soy sauce
1 Tbs Dark soy sauce
2 Tbs Shaoxing wine (red)
2 Tbs Honey
2 Tbs of sugar
1/2 Tsp Five-spice powder
1/4 Tsp White pepper
5-6 Cloves of minced garlic
1 Tsp Ginger paste or fresh crushed
1/2 Tbs toasted sesame oil
1/2 Tbs Mild Korean pepper flakes (optional its not normally used but i like mine slightly spicy)

Make sure to use good Hoisin its sweetened with sweet potato and good oyster sauce that has oyster extract as the first ingredient. 30% or better if its listed.

Use a fatty cut of pork such as country style ribs. Thats what i normally use. Pork side if you can find it lean enough. Its like pork belly but more meaty.

Mix everything except the honey. Use just barely enough to marinate your pork for at least 24hrs. I let mine set for 3 days. Mix the honey with what is left over. Reserve it for basting.

You can grill over low heat, hot smoke or use the oven on a rack.

I can dig it up but some of the items are hard to find such as red fermented bean curd and Chu Hou paste

2 pieces of Chinese fermented red bean curd w/ 1Tbs of the liquid (mashed)
1 Tbs Chu Hou paste
1 Tbs Hoisin sauce
1 Tbs Oyster sauce
4 Tbs Soy sauce
1 Tbs Dark soy sauce
2 Tbs Shaoxing wine (red)
2 Tbs Honey
2 Tbs of sugar
1/2 Tsp Five-spice powder
1/4 Tsp White pepper
5-6 Cloves of minced garlic
1 Tsp Ginger paste or fresh crushed
1/2 Tbs toasted sesame oil
1/2 Tbs Mild Korean pepper flakes (optional its not normally used but i like mine slightly spicy)

Make sure to use good Hoisin its sweetened with sweet potato and good oyster sauce that has oyster extract as the first ingredient. 30% or better if its listed.

Use a fatty cut of pork such as country style ribs. Thats what i normally use. Pork side if you can find it lean enough. Its like pork belly but more meaty.

Mix everything except the honey. Use just barely enough to marinate your pork for at least 24hrs. I let mine set for 3 days. Mix the honey with what is left over. Reserve it for basting.

You can grill over low heat, hot smoke or use the oven on a rack.

Awesome, thanks! We have some good asian markets around here so I should be able to find them. :mug:

The Chinese pork just looks amazing!

I'm doing roast beef Po'Boys tomorrow, so I'm roasting the beast tonight. It's stuffed with 10 garlic cloves cut in half. You gotta brown it cause "Brown tastes good!". Picture is at the end of browning. It's now in the oven for a 3-4 hour braise in beef stock.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1506738935.966324.jpg

OMGEE that sounds sooooo goooood! We have some good Asian markets here too - will have to see if I can find the ingredients! Thanks!

The oyster sauce you use can later for fried rice. Its what makes restaurant fried rice taste the way it does...I get LKK Premium Oyster Sauce or MegaChef. LKK has several but there is a huge difference in quality.

The Chu Huo paste is great for a beef and radish stew. That is one of the main dishes its used in. Its more or less like beef stew but with radish instead of taters. You could use taters if you wish.

Look for LKK Double fermented soy sauce or the LKK Premium Dark Soy. Both are really good soy sauce. Kkikoman reduced sodium Tamari is also really good for a soy sauce.

The red fermented bean curd though is the "secret" ingredient and the hardest to find. Its little tofu cubes in a RYR and wine mixture. Mash a couple cubes with a fork with some of the liquid in the jar.

It looks like this
4cc9788018fa88df12bd884701bfc449_500x500.webp

91KrmDHDFVL._SY550_.jpg

Red-bean-curd-591decf53df78cf5fa919acc.jpg

The oyster sauce you use can later for fried rice. Its what makes restaurant fried rice taste the way it does...I get LKK Premium Oyster Sauce or MegaChef. LKK has several but there is a huge difference in quality.

The Chu Huo paste is great for a beef and radish stew. That is one of the main dished its used in. Its more or less like beef stew but with radish instead of taters. You could use taters if you wish.

Look for LKK Double fermented soy sauce or the LKK Premium Dark Soy. Both are really good soy sauce. Kkikoman reduced sodium Tamari is also really good for a soy sauce.

The red fermented bean curd though is the "secret" ingredient and the hardest to find. Its little tofu cubes in a RYR and wine mixture. Mash a couple cubes with a fork with some of the liquid in the jar.

It looks like this
4cc9788018fa88df12bd884701bfc449_500x500.webp

91KrmDHDFVL._SY550_.jpg

Red-bean-curd-591decf53df78cf5fa919acc.jpg

That was just and awesome and very helpful post! Thanks for that!

The bottle on the far left is a really common brand of Thai oyster sauce. Pretty much any market ive been to has it. Not bad for the money. Megachef is also Thai but its better. LKK PREMIUM is the gold standard and more than double the cost. A little bottle is usually over $5.
9W5UwCD.jpg

Megachef Premium Oyster Sauce contains no MSG, color and artificial flavors.
PR1160504094125.jpg

Even Walmart stocks the LKK Premium but it does have MSG
034e7db0-5eed-4282-bcfe-db2329334d1c_1.b344a6c7c5c5f48c3af9ee8f9216fc7d.jpeg

Back