What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really easy to make, not so easy to slice. I need a sushi knife or something.

BTW, I prefer to use wild sockeye salmon...

I just bought this Victorinox carving knife I had read in a couple of places of it getting high marks. 5 stars out of 980 Amazon reviewers ain't bad.

Thing is amazing. Nice long length so it might work well on slicing the salmon thinly. Although it may be thick the first time I used it on steak it cut thru it like butter. I even used it to trim some ribs. I think it would work well on lox.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it just based off of the reviews. I didn't have a basic carving knife and figured the holidays are coming. It doesn't look that impressive but I was sold on the first cut. You're almost tempted to test it with you're finger but then you look at what it just did. Plus I think it's like 12" long for a consistent long cut. Seriously it went thru steak without any back and forth effort. Mmm steak.

Wish I had taken a picture of tonight's meal, but I didn't, so - it didn't happen!

However, it was oak/rosemary grill-smoked rack of lamb (done in the Weber kettle grill, offset fire, lid on) to 130* then let rest 10 minutes while my ovenroasted seasoned new potatoes finished getting crispy. Also had a sliced avocado with lime and sea salt (for KOTC) and a blop of Best Foods Mayo (for me!) - KOTC proclaimed this repast "the best dinner I ever ate!" and can't say I'd disagree with him. I cut that rack into 2-rib chops and they were cooked to rare perfection and so delicious they'd make you swoon.

Had my favorite dinner too! Just missing some red or green chilli, lime and cilantro. Made tortilla chips in skillet, then made quick salsa with fresh garden tomatoes, serrano stemmed and seeded and red onion. Chopped with pampered chef chop o matic, bam bam, then mixed with kosher salt, dash of cumin, and 1 tbl champagne vinegar. Seared a ribeye in skillet with heavy salt and onion powder crust and chopped it small. Mashed avocado, refried beans, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream to round out the dish. Garnished with homemade hot sauce from bottle. I love make your own tacos/burritos. Thats swmbo plate.

View attachment 1503883515322.jpg

View attachment 1503883523478.jpg

View attachment 1503883530419.jpg

View attachment 1503883542508.jpg

Put an Amazen pellet smoker on the bottom grate of a WSM and fill the water bowl of the WSM with ice.

Interesting. I don't have a WSM but I may have to reconsider it it's that simple. What I do is put a hot plate with a pan of chips inside two stacked terra cotta clay pots, (the top one a tad bigger than the bottom and turned upside down as a dome. Then I use two six foot pieces of aluminum dryer hose to funnel the smoke into the smoking chamber. Anytime it's below 60*F it works like a champ as the ambient air cools off the smoke in the tubing. No way that would work in AZ, even the cool part.

Lunch at home today... Steamers, broth, butter and homemade olive bread.

image.jpeg

Clams, yum! Care to share that olive bread recipe. Love olives!

Sure. I made a simple "no knead" sourdough then added about a heaping 1/4 cup of coursely chopped kalamata and Spanish olives after the over night rise, and used a generous amount of olive oil to coat the bowl for the second rise. Shape and bake at 410F 30-45 mins depending on how you shape your loaf.

1/2 cup sourdough starter
11 oz water
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1 tsp. Salt

Place all ingredients in a bowl stir until combined cover with plastic and let it sit in at room temp over night, or about eight hours.
Scrape dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface stretch and fold in the olives (kneading not needed ;) just work it enough to distribute the olives)

Oil the bowl return the dough and turn it to coat, cover and let rise until doubled. About an hour. After a half hour preheat the oven.

Shape the dough into a loaf, let rest covered for 10 minutes, score and bake at 410F spritz oven with water at start.

There are many YouTube videos about no knead breads for reference.

Its Maangchi's recipe. Pretty close to her amounts but i made enough to serve 3. I used a seafood medley that is pretty common at Asian markets. I did add some fresh green Korean peppers from the garden and white onion too. Use Riken instant dashi stock if you want to skip making stock from scratch. https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/jjamppong
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4wTyYyb7ek[/ame]

I smoked a pork butt over hickory and made a hash with some. Served with leftover rice and pigeon peas and mixed with sautéed jalapeño, white onion, red bell pepper, garlic, salt and black pepper.
View attachment 412285

The hash looks very well conceived. I like the use of jalopenos. Don't know if it's the same where you live but out here jalapenos are pretty well loved. Schools serve them to kids with everything pretty much.

Korean spicy seafood noodle soup from scratch.
BX1GR7J.jpg

That looks so good. Sadly I have never had something like that. As I was looking at it and thinking about cultures and jalopenos I had a strong memory. My amazing and essentric mom was very good friends with a korean neighbor. She would give my mom soup and kimchi, and the soup looked just like that, not quite as nice, but just like that. Anyways sorry, just a strong memory.

Got stuff to make Bolognese last night. And as I got home I got a text from a friend saying she was bringing over some Mushroom casserole (For fixing her computer problem...)

Well, I made Bolognese anyway. My first time. I added some cubed zucchini at the end and I think it ended up just slightly thin, but it tasted good. I'd do it again. Next time use a different pasta shape and make sure it's cooked down and thick. Wife and I both got seconds, so there you go.

No pictures. You can google bolognese if you want to see what it looks like. ;)

Did you use that recipe I posted from the city of bologna, ratified by the Italian Academie de cuisine in the 80s. It only has 5 tablespoons of tomato sauce with 1 cup whole milk added over 2 hours. It is definitely a "meat" sauce. It is the king of meat sauces if I am correct. If you have another recipe worth trying would love to see it. Every time I make bolognese I struggle with the opposite, not enough liquid.

Did you use that recipe I posted from the city of bologna, ratified by the Italian Academie de cuisine in the 80s. It only has 5 tablespoons of tomato sauce with 1 cup whole milk added over 2 hours. It is definitely a "meat" sauce. It is the king of meat sauces if I am correct. If you have another recipe worth trying would love to see it. Every time I make bolognese I struggle with the opposite, not enough liquid.

I may try this recipe this weekend.

http://foodnouveau.com/recipes/how-tos/how-to-make-an-authentic-bolognese-sauce/

Alton Brown's 'version' looks too damn involved.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/meat-sauce-and-spaghetti-recipe-1917618

Alton Brown's 'version' looks too damn involved.

You ought to try his spicy pecan pie. Holy crap that was a lot of work for a pie. (if you actually do, leave out most of the chili powder, take my word for it).

I wing my bolognese sauce every time. I should make a legit one this weekend when one of my pasta-slurpers is home from college.

Pad Thai on the menu tonight.

Mise en place getting all mise en place-ish.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504214476.838677.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504214724.715820.jpg

From the left rear.. scallion bottoms, chopped jaleapeno, chopped shallot, garlic, Ginger with dried shrimp in the middle. Next plate sprouts. Lower left scallion uppers, cubed chicken, shrimp, scorched peanuts. In the rear is the sauce of fish sauce, tamarind, palm sugar with lime juice ready to add at the end.

That recipe looks nice. It is basically the academie recipe doubled plus garlic. I add the milk over 2 hr simmer, probably doesnt matter but it reminds me of a grandmother doing it. I would up the pancetta to 6oz for my taste and lighten the butter. The pancetta is the back stage star. Note in the italian recipe the soffrito is added to the seared pancetta. Love the meat mix. I would reserve the stock and slowly add it for fear of to runny sauce. I love this sauce, cant wait to see what you come up with.

@paulthenurse wow, that is just so cool to see. I love pad thai.

Maybe a few beers in, picked some garden veg and had a nice top sirloin steak going, and just threw the stuff I picked on. My daughter followed suit. 4 years old tossed her peppers on to the grill or maybe to me, it was safe, bit spontaneous. Got some safflower oil and brushed the fruit. This was surprisingly delicious and lazy and the basil was killer.

Back