What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 1502517296087.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 44
How would you rate tri tip over a ribeye or any other cut? Seen many cuts but never picked up

NY strip... seared that mofo. Alllllll yeaaaa. BBA malt liquor pictured

Have you ever had any issues using a cast iron on a glass top? I have a glass top at our new house and I've read pros/cons about using one on a glass top as far as potentially breaking the glass

Have you ever had any issues using a cast iron on a glass top? I have a glass top at our new house and I've read pros/cons about using one on a glass top as far as potentially breaking the glass

I've broken 2 glass top stoves using Cast Iron. Glass stop isn't a good choice for the serious chef/cook.

i used cast iron every day on glass for 7 years and it didn't crack either stove.

however, there was a permanent residue on the glass that even the harshest chemicals couldn't remove.

I've broken 2 glass top stoves using Cast Iron. Glass stop isn't a good choice for the serious chef/cook.

Ya I would love a gas stove top. Problem is that the house we just bought is in a community built in the 70s and for whatever reason (don't ask me why) there's no gas plumbed anywhere. We are 100% electric. Which make a gas stove top kind hard to use haha

Works absolutely fine for me but as schematix pointed out there is a touch of a residue left and Maybe some scratching definitely try to not move the pan and clean the stove after every use to minimize. I haven't been gentle with it either..

i used cast iron every day on glass for 7 years and it didn't crack either stove.

however, there was a permanent residue on the glass that even the harshest chemicals couldn't remove.

I think I may try some heavy duty lab grade stuff to try and clean it. Haven't really tried all that much.

Have been all over the skillet. Ribeye left over chopped and seared for steak bbq for lunch, bologenese tonight.

Bolognese and pasta my 4 yo and I made together. So good even though I substituted bacon fat for pancetta, 1 % for whole milk, and no celery in mirepoix. For the tomato sauce i pressed ripe garden tomatoes through strainer leaving quality sauce. Little splash of wine, not sure I love red wine in my sauce, white absolutely.

View attachment 1502674070525.jpg

View attachment 1502674079202.jpg

Tri-Tip.

IMG_0551.jpg

Yep, got the idea from local burrito makers we have here in denver. In saran wrap they get to gummy and foil can stick among others. Parchment is just the right amount of steam and vent. Im starting to think parchment is amazing and wish I have used it more.

You can do a lovely fish recipe in parchment. Fold a piece about 16" x 16" in half then round over the corners with scissors. Put a piece of fish, whatever you have; salmon, flounder, etc in the center of the opened folded parchment . You can put any quick steaming veggie atop the fish; asparagus, thin sliced peppers and onions, etc. A pat of butter, some white whine, maybe a sprig of dill or sliced lemons then starting at one edge of the fold start folding/crimping the edge over itself until you work all the way around and seal the package. I start in a fast oven then lower the heat. If you've done a good job folding the edges the parchment creates a sealed 'balloon' and captures the wine, butter and fish juice and steams the dish. Cut open the puffed up package at the table for a fun presentation. It's a little bit of work, especially if you do individual servings (best) but the results are worth it.

Yep, got the idea from local burrito makers we have here in denver. In saran wrap they get to gummy and foil can stick among others. Parchment is just the right amount of steam and vent. Im starting to think parchment is amazing and wish I have used it more.

I have trouble getting pizza off my oven stone, so I use parchment on the stone. Works great.

I lived in a town called Parchment along the Kalamazoo River. My family comes from there. A paper company (KVP) founded the town - grandpa was the company secretary for 40 yrs . We used parchment for everything.

You can do a lovely fish recipe in parchment. Fold a piece about 16" x 16" in half then round over the corners with scissors. Put a piece of fish, whatever you have; salmon, flounder, etc in the center of the opened folded parchment . You can put any quick steaming veggie atop the fish; asparagus, thin sliced peppers and onions, etc. A pat of butter, some white whine, maybe a sprig of dill or sliced lemons then starting at one edge of the fold start folding/crimping the edge over itself until you work all the way around and seal the package. I start in a fast oven then lower the heat. If you've done a good job folding the edges the parchment creates a sealed 'balloon' and captures the wine, butter and fish juice and steams the dish. Cut open the puffed up package at the table for a fun presentation. It's a little bit of work, especially if you do individual servings (best) but the results are worth it.

One of the first methods I learned in the fish class at culinary school, Very French!

I've switched to lining my sheet pans and cake pans with parchment for a few years now. Wish I had started using it decades ago.

I have trouble getting pizza off my oven stone, so I use parchment on the stone.

I had trouble getting my pizza off the peel and on to the stone. So I put parchment on the peel and slide the whole thing on to the stone.

I have to pull the parchment out a minute or two later or it burns...but it releases easily once the crust has started to set.

Good lord, do I love making fish en papillote. This exact recipe every time. It's one of my favorite meals.

Once Costco started selling rolls of parchment paper I learned quickly how wonderful the stuff is! Otherwise, it was hard to come by at that time and expensive. A Costco-sized roll lasts ages though.

Once Costco started selling rolls of parchment paper I learned quickly how wonderful the stuff is! Otherwise, it was hard to come by at that time and expensive. A Costco-sized roll lasts ages though.

A Costco sized anything lasts a long time :D

Not sure if i posted this yet, made 18 breakfast burritos and wrapped them in parchment for easy heating. Foil and saran wrap have both failed for different reasons for me.

I do that with Quesadillas, make bunch, cut them in quarters or eighth's wrap in foil and freeze. They warm up very well in a toaster oven.

I had trouble getting my pizza off the peel and on to the stone. So I put parchment on the peel and slide the whole thing on to the stone.

I have to pull the parchment out a minute or two later or it burns...but it releases easily once the crust has started to set.

Yea, that's what I meant actually. I have had pizzas literally flop onto the oven door trying to get them off the frigging peel (they become disasters).

The parchment browned, dangerously (the oven was as hot as it would go), but didn't burn. I've played with corn meal, but that's a different kind of mess and still didn't work well.

I have trouble getting pizza off my oven stone, so I use parchment on the stone. Works great.

I lived in a town called Parchment along the Kalamazoo River. My family comes from there. A paper company (KVP) founded the town - grandpa was the company secretary for 40 yrs . We used parchment for everything.

So PP has an in, parchment paper for all!!??:D

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1502925503.916353.jpg

From the top left
Oil cured black olive smushed up against cranberry relish, with sun dried tomatoes. Assorted stuffed peppers around Ginger/chili sauce. Assorted cheeses, figs, radishes and Dijon mustard. Deli counter mushrooms, olives and pickles. Fresh from the garden blueberries scattered everywhere. And in the center, one of five pork terrines I made over the past two days

And a nice ginger beer.

View attachment 411031

From the top left
Oil cured black olive smushed up against cranberry relish, with sun fried tomatoes. Assorted stuffed peppers around Ginger/chili sauce. Assorted cheeses, figs, radishes and Dijon mustard. Deli counter mushrooms, olives and pickles. Fresh from the garden blueberries scattered everywhere. And in the center, one of five pork terrines I made over the past two days

And a nice ginger beer.

That is exceptional.

View attachment 411031

From the top left
Oil cured black olive smushed up against cranberry relish, with sun fried tomatoes. Assorted stuffed peppers around Ginger/chili sauce. Assorted cheeses, figs, radishes and Dijon mustard. Deli counter mushrooms, olives and pickles. Fresh from the garden blueberries scattered everywhere. And in the center, one of five pork terrines I made over the past two days

And a nice ginger beer.

I'm curious, what exactly is the pork wheel in the center?

Took a couple of trotters and simmered them for about 8 hours. Added three pounds of pork butt for the final 3.5. Highly seasoned. Pulled apart the meat and put in molds. Separated the fat from the juice in the pot then poured that broth over the meat in the molds. All the rendered collagen from the trotters turn the broth into tasty, super unctuous aspic. Chill

Bits of skin, meat, very small bits of carrots and onion, mustard seed, eye of newt, toe of frog.

Back