What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not cooking a dang thing. It's 80* in the house and 71* outside at 6:30 pm. Now, before those of you who live in the Midwest scoff and laugh at me - we're central coastal CA and we get maybe 5 days a year where the temp is over 80, so no AC in the house! It got up to 87* today.

Therefore, we had tuna sandwiches and bread & butter pickles and Fritos for dinner, washed down with a nice homebrewed blonde ale. Pretty dang good!

Not cooking a dang thing. It's 80* in the house and 71* outside at 6:30 pm. Now, before those of you who live in the Midwest scoff and laugh at me - we're central coastal CA and we get maybe 5 days a year where the temp is over 80, so no AC in the house! It got up to 87* today.

Therefore, we had tuna sandwiches and bread & butter pickles and Fritos for dinner, washed down with a nice homebrewed blonde ale. Pretty dang good!

You need to buy a Weber kettle grill

Classic summer dinner!

When I was a kid, my mother used to take us to the beach with a cooler full of tuna sandwiches, along with ham and cheese ones

Memories

539C1236-7054-400F-831C-C62F2A0350A6_zpskckgrx37.jpg

Last month I was fortunate enough to be invited to help cook at The James Beard House in NYC. It was a BBQ themed dinner that included these monster beef plate ribs. :mug:

Lucked out and found some zucchini flowers at the market today so stuffed them with ricotta and lemon zest and deep fried them. Drizzle of honey. Oh so addictive. No pics so I suppose it didn't happen.

539C1236-7054-400F-831C-C62F2A0350A6_zpskckgrx37.jpg

Last month I was fortunate enough to be invited to help cook at The James Beard House in NYC. It was a BBQ themed dinner that included these monster beef plate ribs. :mug:

They picked the right guy! Those look sooo good. Now, I know what kind of ribs I like. I knew I liked big beef ribs, I just didn't know what they were called.

Funny, speak of wifes cooking, my wife has come a long ways. Albeit, she has a nasty habit of over cooking stuff at times. But given the right ingredients and time, she has an amazing playful sense in the kitchen and can make incredible dishes. Much more creative than me. Tonight, case in point. I left to golf and asked her to please make the ratatouille. Using 100% from our garden she took the tomatoes and skinned them. Simmered them with olive oil our onions, basil, oregano, and parsley from the garden. Added yellow pear tomatos, grape, and cherry as well. Blended the sauce and spread it out in the bottom of a baking dish. Then layered green peppers, green chilli, banana peppers, eggplant and squash. Then another layer of sauce and another layer of eggplant etc... topped with parmesean a dash of olive oil and baked. Served it to me on a warm bun with a little mozzarella. Wow, the flavors of this dish are 5 star restaurant good. When she retires I can see her getting more into cooking.

View attachment 1501983546702.jpg

No picture, so I'm sure I'm imagining the whole thing - but BoBo Salmon with brown rice and green peas. Dang it was good.

BoBo Salmon - salmon filets, preferably boneless/skinless, sprinkle each side with brown sugar (not too much, just a fine coating) and then rub in a dash or three of Worcestershire sauce - enough to wet the brown sugar. Do that on both sides of each filet. Let stand on a platter at room temp about 20 minutes, flip them over every now and then and rub the stuff around on it.

Broil on a foil-lined, Pam-sprayed pan til browned on each side, takes maybe 3 minutes or so, just watch it so it doesn't burn.

It's so good!

Have tried adding stuff like garlic powder, minced green onions, etc. Don't. You want it just those two ingredients. Trust me. It's name BoBo Salmon because my uncle, whom my sister and I called BoBo, made it this way all the time. Works on salmon steaks too. I like the B/S salmon from Costco best for this one.

Friday night some friends made a Stuffed Mushroom Casserole and we made a Snickerdoodle Apple Cobbler. Took them both down to the new brewery in town and shared with others. (They don't have food there yet, so the encourage people to bring in their own or order in from other places...)

We both got very positive responses to the food.

For the cobbler I chose Golden Delicious and Granny Smith apples. I'm very pleased with that combination.

The cobbler is basically snickerdoole cookie dough dropped on top of pre-cooked apple filling (I added just a bit of cornstarch to make the loose juice a bit thicker.) and then baked.

I had more than 1 pan could hold, so I made a smaller batch for home, and then some snickerdoodle topping left over as well, so I made a very large snickerdoodle cookie too.

All in all, a good time. After we ate we sat there having a few more beers and socializing. I texted my daughter to bring the smaller dish of cobbler because we were getting the munchies, but she wouldn't do it. She said she was too tired, but I think she just didn't want us eating it all!

Back