What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fried green tomatoes.

image.jpeg

I just put a whole butternut squash in my Instant Pot pressure cooker - set it for 19 minutes on High pressure. We shall see how it comes out. Decided to start it a bit early because we're having a pretty good wind event at the moment (broke a big oak branch off a tree behind us when knocked three of our fence boards loose, grrrr) so figured I'd better get it cooked while there is still power!

Gonna panroast a peppercorn pork tenderloin in about an hour.

While brewing a gallon of pumpkin ale, I also whipped up a batch of lamb koftas (well not on a skewer, but grilled) with home made hummus and fresh pita bread. Served up with home brewed nut brown ale, it was good stuff!

(Dammit forgot to flip my tablet again!)

Now I'm hungry again!
I have been thinking of doing something in this realm just hasn't happened.
I need to make pitas again, I thought they would be difficult, not really and so good.

My wife really made a treat. Dont think picture does it justice. She roasted annaheims and poblanos from our garden, stuffed them with cheesy rice and fried them after dipping them in egg and flour. Then made a sauce with garlic and garden tomatoes. Sour cream on side. They were crunchy and so good.

View attachment 1476578611230.jpg

I need to make pitas again, I thought they would be difficult, not really and so good.

This is my third or fourth time with pitas, and finally got them to puff up perfectly! Ya gotta get them really thin, and we used a pizza stone at 475 deg. Really nice toothsome bread, and there's leftover hummus for tomorrow's snacking, too!

This is my third or fourth time with pitas, and finally got them to puff up perfectly! Ya gotta get them really thin, and we used a pizza stone at 475 deg. Really nice toothsome bread, and there's leftover hummus for tomorrow's snacking, too!

Nice! I have the best luck when I bulk rise, then make balls that rise. Then roll them out and let them rest, the roll a little more.

Have a turkey breast in a sous vide bath going. Probably going to have some delicatta squash and some brussel sprouts.

Looks good. What do you use to season/marinade your meat? I do a marinade of oil, lime juice, garlic, s&p, crushed red pepper. It's good, But I'm looking for something different.

Very similar...

lime juice + salt, garlic powder, "dark" chile powder (whatever that is), cumin, chipolte chile powder, cayenne pepper (if you like it hotter) plus enough oil to get the consistency right.

Sometimes i'll add a pea sized scoop of xanthan gum to help keep it emulsified, but i find that dulls the flavor a touch.

To really up the flavor i cut the meat thick into 1/4" strips, fork a bunch of holes in it, then put it into a vaccuum container for about an hour. That seems to really help suck the marinade in.

Very similar...

lime juice + salt, garlic powder, "dark" chile powder (whatever that is), cumin, chipolte chile powder, cayenne pepper (if you like it hotter) plus enough oil to get the consistency right.

Sometimes i'll add a pea sized scoop of xanthan gum to help keep it emulsified, but i find that dulls the flavor a touch.

To really up the flavor i cut the meat thick into 1/4" strips, fork a bunch of holes in it, then put it into a vaccuum container for about an hour. That seems to really help suck the marinade in.

Sounds like I need to try some Cumin and Chile Powder(s). Thanks!

Fat.

Made chicken tenders with a Chick-Fil-A clone recipe. They came out really close, I have to admit. Using 2:1 flour:breadcrumbs is key to getting the texture the same.

No pics, go pound sand if you don't believe me.

:)

Looks good. What do you use to season/marinade your meat? I do a marinade of oil, lime juice, garlic, s&p, crushed red pepper. It's good, But I'm looking for something different.

Sounds really similar to a quick marinade I throw together for fajitas. A little cumin and a lot of coriander added in with the others you have listed adds a nice touch.

Yeah, let's have that gravlax recipe, please?? Or a pointer to it if you've previously posted it on here!

I SCORED on some meat this morning - two whole pork shoulder picnics, 50% off = .60/lb. 3 packs of "managers special" boneless beef short ribs, $2.49/lb. One pack Foster Farms split chicken breasts, 50% off, $1.00/lb. I just finished boning the chicken breasts out, and packaging the breast meat for the freezer.

Tomorrow, will put both the picnics into the roaster/smoker oven. Not sure yet what I'll do with the short ribs, may stick 'em in the pressure cooker with a nice homebrewed Porter.

MEAT! Yum!

Is the gravlax smoked? Looks good!
Cured with sugar, salt, brown sugar, fresh dill and black pepper. Wrapped and weighted for about 24 hours, rinsed briefly. No heat, no smoke. Here's the recipe I followed, but I skipped the vodka and added a couple of tablespoons brown sugar. I also checked it after 24 hours and it was done. If you let it go 3 or 4 days like the recipe says, it'll be too dry and salty.
http://www.thegalleygourmet.net/2012/03/home-cured-gravlax.html

Photos: ingredients before sandwiching, sandwiched and wrapped (before weighting), unwrapped (before rinsing)

IMG_20161011_151956305resized.jpg

IMG_20161011_152216858resized.jpg

IMG_20161012_172357822resized.jpg

Cured with sugar, salt, brown sugar, fresh dill and black pepper. Wrapped and weighted for about 24 hours, rinsed briefly. No heat, no smoke. Here's the recipe I followed, but I skipped the vodka and added a couple of tablespoons brown sugar. I also checked it after 24 hours and it was done. If you let it go 3 or 4 days like the recipe says, it'll be too dry and salty.
http://www.thegalleygourmet.net/2012/03/home-cured-gravlax.html

Photos: ingredients before sandwiching, sandwiched and wrapped (before weighting), unwrapped (before rinsing)

Is it my imagination, or have you been offline for a while? Nice to see you are still here (even if you have been here the whole time!). I've been wrapped up with family issues so have been in and out lately.

Back