What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would make a good "guts 'n brains" Halloween sandwich - LOL!

Yeah, at first I thought, WHY? Then I spotted the Spidey Man plate....

I'm about to make chicken fried steak with mushroom gravy and mashed cauliflower. Will try to remember to take a picture. Two nights in a row would be pretty amazing though! :)

I actually ate off the Spider-Man plate!!!!

As to why, because the kids loved it!
(And I am still a kid at heart)

image_zps4qybt9hy.jpg

Homemade pho ga. :mug:

Ha. Yes, I know you're not a sir. :)

I forgot that you had posted one as well!

I'm thinking something similar to this...

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/article/groat-ricks-chili-colorado

LOL, I know you know I'm a SHE! :)

OK, so here is my recipe. Keep in mind ALL my recipes are loose directions, I improvise according to what I have on hand. I haven't tried this with pork but plan to one of these days.

Char's Chili Colorado

Serves 4

8 dried chiles, 2 each: California, guajillo, chile negro and pasilla chiles, or combo of what you can find locally
2 fresh Poblano chiles, blistered over a flame or in the oven, sweated, peeled, seeded
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed in your hand
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 heaping tablespoons dark cocoa powder (Hershey's Special Dark is good)
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 heaping tablespoon almond or peanut butter
Sea salt
2 tablespoons lard or rendered bacon fat
2 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 whole onion, peeled and finely chopped
5 large cloves garlic, minced
12 ounces beer, preferably dark in color (I like a homebrewed Porter)
2 1/4 cups chicken, turkey, or beef stock, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons masa harina (corn tortilla flour)
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Wipe the chiles off with a barely damp paper towel, to knock off any dust/debris. Cut off the tops and shake out the seeds. Put them on a baking sheet and roast at 300* about 5 to 8 minutes - watch them closely or they'll burn. You want them to soften up slightly.

Nuke about 2 cups of the stock til hot but not boiling. Put chiles in a blender container and just cover with the hot stock. Put the lid on and let stand 20 to 30 minutes. Add the Poblano pepper, cumin, oregano, coffee powder, cocoa powder, nut butter, pepper, and about a tablespoon of salt; puree mixture, adding more water if needed, and scrape down the sides of the jar, until you get a smooth paste about like tomato sauce consistency. Set aside.

Heat a large Dutch oven (6 quarts or more) on medium-high heat and melt 1 tablespoon of the lard. When it begins to barely smoke, swirl skillet to coat and add half of the beef. Lightly brown on at least two sides, about 3 minutes per side; turn down the heat if the meat is browning too fast. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with remaining beef. Set aside.

Let the skillet cool slightly, then over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of lard, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomato paste and cook a few minutes to mellow it out. Add this mixture to the blender with the chile paste, add the masa harina, and blend til smooth.

Deglaze the pan with the beer. Stir in the reserved chile paste, scraping the bottom of the pan with a spatula to loosen any browned bits. Add the cooked beef plus any juices that have accumulated in the bowl and bring to a simmer over high heat. Add more stock if needed to thin it a bit. Reduce heat to maintain the barest possible simmer (just a few bubbles breaking the surface) and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender but still somewhat firm and 1 1/2 to 2 cups of thickened but still liquid sauce surrounds the cubes of meat, about 2 hours.

Stir in the brown sugar and cider vinegar, add more salt if needed; simmer another 10 minutes or so. Now turn off the heat and let the chili stand about 30 minutes. It should absorb about half of the remaining sauce in the pan. You want a nice thick sauce, but not dry. Stir in some broth or water if the mixture seems too dry. If the mixture seems too wet, allow it to simmer a bit more. Adjust with a bit of additional salt, sweetener, or vinegar, to your taste.

Now - for the pressure cooker directions - I use a digital electric 6 quart pressure cooker. I did the sauteing in batches, once the meat was all browned I did the onion/garlic stuff; set that aside. Add the meat back to the PC, add the beer, and pressure cook on High 20 minutes. Let the pressure drop naturally and then add everything else except the vinegar ad sugar. Stir well, pressure cook on Low for 30 minutes. Let the pressure drop naturally, then check for thickness. Sauté with the lid off if needed to thicken it up, or you can add a little more masa harina too. Once it's done to your liking, stir in the brown sugar and cider vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I usually end up adding a bit more salt to it.

It SOUNDS like a lot of work, but it's not that bad once you get going. It's well worth the effort!

The focus on this is a little soft so it's hard to tell there are actual chunks of beef in it, but there are nice fork-tender chunks!

chile colorado plate.jpg

The dried chile selection in my town sucks; and, I hate the inconsistencies about chile names (fresh and dried). Picked up some "New Mexico Chile Pods", "Japanese Chile Pods", and just some ground pasilla chie powder...

Chili Colorado tonight! :mug:

Reconstructed pork shoulder "steaks"cooked Sous Vide for 12hrs then seared on the grill with an apple cider reduction, butternut squash,asparagus and beet greens.

OK, do tell - how'd you reconstruct pork shoulder into steaks?

Those look killer good and I know they were tender after the 12 hour sous vide languishing bath!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, I know you know I'm a SHE! :)

OK, so here is my recipe. Keep in mind ALL my recipes are loose directions, I improvise according to what I have on hand. I haven't tried this with pork but plan to one of these days.

Char's Chili Colorado

Serves 4

8 dried chiles, 2 each: California, guajillo, chile negro and pasilla chiles, or combo of what you can find locally
2 fresh Poblano chiles, blistered over a flame or in the oven, sweated, peeled, seeded
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed in your hand
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 heaping tablespoons dark cocoa powder (Hershey's Special Dark is good)
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 heaping tablespoon almond or peanut butter
Sea salt
2 tablespoons lard or rendered bacon fat
2 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 whole onion, peeled and finely chopped
5 large cloves garlic, minced
12 ounces beer, preferably dark in color (I like a homebrewed Porter)
2 1/4 cups chicken, turkey, or beef stock, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons masa harina (corn tortilla flour)
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Wipe the chiles off with a barely damp paper towel, to knock off any dust/debris. Cut off the tops and shake out the seeds. Put them on a baking sheet and roast at 300* about 5 to 8 minutes - watch them closely or they'll burn. You want them to soften up slightly.

Nuke about 2 cups of the stock til hot but not boiling. Put chiles in a blender container and just cover with the hot stock. Put the lid on and let stand 20 to 30 minutes. Add the Poblano pepper, cumin, oregano, coffee powder, cocoa powder, nut butter, pepper, and about a tablespoon of salt; puree mixture, adding more water if needed, and scrape down the sides of the jar, until you get a smooth paste about like tomato sauce consistency. Set aside.

Heat a large Dutch oven (6 quarts or more) on medium-high heat and melt 1 tablespoon of the lard. When it begins to barely smoke, swirl skillet to coat and add half of the beef. Lightly brown on at least two sides, about 3 minutes per side; turn down the heat if the meat is browning too fast. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with remaining beef. Set aside.

Let the skillet cool slightly, then over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of lard, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomato paste and cook a few minutes to mellow it out. Add this mixture to the blender with the chile paste, add the masa harina, and blend til smooth.

Deglaze the pan with the beer. Stir in the reserved chile paste, scraping the bottom of the pan with a spatula to loosen any browned bits. Add the cooked beef plus any juices that have accumulated in the bowl and bring to a simmer over high heat. Add more stock if needed to thin it a bit. Reduce heat to maintain the barest possible simmer (just a few bubbles breaking the surface) and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender but still somewhat firm and 1 1/2 to 2 cups of thickened but still liquid sauce surrounds the cubes of meat, about 2 hours.

Stir in the brown sugar and cider vinegar, add more salt if needed; simmer another 10 minutes or so. Now turn off the heat and let the chili stand about 30 minutes. It should absorb about half of the remaining sauce in the pan. You want a nice thick sauce, but not dry. Stir in some broth or water if the mixture seems too dry. If the mixture seems too wet, allow it to simmer a bit more. Adjust with a bit of additional salt, sweetener, or vinegar, to your taste.

Now - for the pressure cooker directions - I use a digital electric 6 quart pressure cooker. I did the sauteing in batches, once the meat was all browned I did the onion/garlic stuff; set that aside. Add the meat back to the PC, add the beer, and pressure cook on High 20 minutes. Let the pressure drop naturally and then add everything else except the vinegar ad sugar. Stir well, pressure cook on Low for 30 minutes. Let the pressure drop naturally, then check for thickness. Sauté with the lid off if needed to thicken it up, or you can add a little more masa harina too. Once it's done to your liking, stir in the brown sugar and cider vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I usually end up adding a bit more salt to it.

It SOUNDS like a lot of work, but it's not that bad once you get going. It's well worth the effort!

The focus on this is a little soft so it's hard to tell there are actual chunks of beef in it, but there are nice fork-tender chunks!

What a recipe? Wow, thanks.

Dissect your roast, clean out all your undisirable bits, sprinkle with Moo Gloo,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EIGV7MC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Wrap up tight in plastic wrap and vacuum pack it and cook.

Really comes out great.

I've been thinking of trying this Moo Gloo, it would be nice to eliminate toothpicks when wrapping something like boneless, skinless chicken breast in bacon; maybe even gluing the chicken shut when stuffing. Think it would work well for such things without altering the flavor?
Regards, GF.

Leftover chicken and marinara sauce. Maybe Parmesan chicken tonight? Got some Angel Hair pasta to go along, and could probably stop at the store for some veggies too. Remind me to get pics later. I always forget.

Ah, reminds me of the ol' PINK SLIME!! LOL! Remember the furor a couple years back about fast food places and grocery stores using that stuff?

I'm gonna get me some of this and try it. That is awesome.

Why don't I eat processed foods? Repulsive even if it's deemed safe to eat.

The only thing you need to remember is it will only stick protein to protein so you can overly season the pieces before sticking it back together.
I've made chicken rolls also.
Ideas came from here,
https://www.chefsteps.com/gallery?g...d_status=published&difficulty=any&sort=newest

I've been thinking of trying this Moo Gloo, it would be nice to eliminate toothpicks when wrapping something like boneless, skinless chicken breast in bacon; maybe even gluing the chicken shut when stuffing. Think it would work well for such things without altering the flavor?
Regards, GF.

I've never noticed any flavors from it, Do you have a souis vide setup?
I've done chicken cordon bleu by wrapping the cheese and ham in the chicken and vacuuming it, much easier then dealing with toothpicks and the cheese oozing out, pull it out a sear it and you're done.

Why don't I eat processed foods? Repulsive even if it's deemed safe to eat.

The only thing you need to remember is it will only stick protein to protein so you can overly season the pieces before sticking it back together.
I've made chicken rolls also.
Ideas came from here,
https://www.chefsteps.com/gallery?g...d_status=published&difficulty=any&sort=newest

Me too, for the most part, although I will admit to an affinity for Carl's Jr. El Diablo burger. In fact, I crave them. In fact, whenever we brew or bottle, it is deemed "El Diablo Day" and we have those for lunch! LOL!

Today is National Taco Day - I just made up a big batch of fresh pico de gallo using cherry tomatoes from the volunteer tomato plant, plus fresh cilantro, yard-picked lime, garlic salt, a little cumin and freshly-ground pepper, and plenty of chopped red onion. Also shredded up some extra-sharp Tillamook cheddar, have corn tortillas, diced avocado, and taco meat which is half venison/half wild boar with some beef fat thrown in, seasoned with homemade taco seasoning. Is it time yet?

Today is my mom's birthday so the wife and I went to my parents and cooked dinner. Mac nut/panko crusted locally caught halibut with hawaiian macaroni salad (which we actually "double batched" last night) and some salad. All paired with my new HB IPA. Needless to say, mom had a good birthday

View attachment 1475648188965.jpg

Today is my mom's birthday so the wife and I went to my parents and cooked dinner. Mac nut/panko crusted locally caught halibut with hawaiian macaroni salad (which we actually "double batched" last night) and some salad. All paired with my new HB IPA. Needless to say, mom had a good birthday

That looks great! Happy Birthday to your Mom!

Been pretty busy to cook much lately, but my daughter's friend was pretty insistent that I make some Zuppa Toscana for the gathering they are having after Homecoming dance on Saturday. You know it's good when kids want SOUP at their parties!

Would the kind sir who makes chili Colorado please point me to the recipe in this thread? Thx!

I posted Chili Colorado pictures a while back. Recipe was from bonappetit at www.bonappetit.com

I did manage to find the chiles at Kroger or Walmart, but then this is Texas :)

Personally, having read through it, I'm going to give Temptd's recipe a try!

Back