What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2be71bc9-181f-45cf-8a3b-e5daf314cb70_zpsrnuw0qir.jpg

Pici, late season tomatoes, parmesan, basil, olive oil. :mug:

Your pasta dishes always look soooo good. Photos are amazing.

Were you the one that recommended the book by Marc Vetri in a previous post? He is probably the best pasta guru in the country.

Thanks!

Yes, that was me. His book changed the way I think about making pasta. It's way more than just recipes; I highly recommend it!

Thanks!

Yes, that was me. His book changed the way I think about making pasta. It's way more than just recipes; I highly recommend it!

I have been thinking of picking up his book. I do not cook pasta often but would trust his insight into making it.

I had probably one of the best meals of my life at his restaurant. 9 course meal with wine pairing for each course. Awesome. ( but super expensive)

Didn't take a picture but I made machaca for dinner using leftover shredded pork carnitas. Sautéed red onion, diced Ortega chiles, 6 happy chicken eggs, shredded extra-sharp Tillamook cheese, and corn tortillas on the side, plus homemade pico de gallo which included cubed avocado.

Wish you had taken a picture. It sounds fantastic! And you had me with Tillamook Extra Sharp. I love that stuff, and all their cheeses!

You know me, Travis - I hardly ever remember to take a pic. And yeah, love me some Tillamook. It was very sad when Costco quit carrying the 3 Year Vintage Extra Sharp White Cheddar :( That was my all-time fave Tillamook.

In-laws were here for a visit and we all went out quite a lot so not much cooking was done except for Sunday brunch. MIL enjoyed my pierogis.
Tonight marinated round for London broil, fresh broccoli, garlic bread and the last of the home made pierogis. Prickly pear ale HB to drink.

image.jpeg

The other day I made homemade refried beans with finely diced garden green peppers, onions and garlic. I had a frozen pork butt that I had pressure cooked. I reheated it at convection 500 till it was falling apart and crispy like a chicharone. Covered beans with shredded ceddar till bubbly and served with over medium eggs, sour cream and corn tortillas. Thinking of it now because I am snacking left over refried beans in warm corn tortillas.

Is that kind of like a taco salad ? In pie form ?

Are you inquiring after the Frito Pie? If so - it's a layer of Fritos (I prefer the Chili & Cheese ones) in a bowl, sprinkle on a handful of shredded sharp cheddar, nuke 15 seconds til the cheese melts; top with a can of heated Dennison's chili, chopped onions, more cheese, diced avocado if you have it.

The "official" version is to open a single-serve pack of Fritos, throw the chili in there, top with cheese, and eat out of the bag.

Are you inquiring after the Frito Pie? If so - it's a layer of Fritos (I prefer the Chili & Cheese ones) in a bowl, sprinkle on a handful of shredded sharp cheddar, nuke 15 seconds til the cheese melts; top with a can of heated Dennison's chili, chopped onions, more cheese, diced avocado if you have it.

The "official" version is to open a single-serve pack of Fritos, throw the chili in there, top with cheese, and eat out of the bag.

I never heard of this until a few years ago. My wife says it was pretty standard "snack bar" fare when she was growing up in Texas. A couple of years ago, we had a friend that was going on about "walking tacos," like it was some new culinary invention. As he described it, she realized he was talking about Frito pie.

Thats what we do when we camp with doritos too, in the bag.

How were the beans? That's one of the few things I haven't attempted to make, as I just love the canned crap.

Thanks for asking. So, so good. I cooked the beans like 16 hours in the crock pot with bay leaf, hunk of salt pork, and salt. Till they were like gravy. Then used potato masher in pan. The thing I like best is they are a little looser then canned version. Hope you try it.

Back