What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burgers, roasted corn on the cob, watermelon, by the pool. Summer at its finest.

_mg_8424-63118.jpg

Burgers, roasted corn on the cob, watermelon, by the pool. Summer at its finest.

_mg_8424-63118.jpg

That does look tasty PP! When I was a kid a cook out was burgers, dogs, potato salad and fresh garden grown corn on the cob and sometimes home made vanilla ice cream. I remember one time my dad got fancy and grilled some Italian sausages :) Classic summertime meal you made there PP!

I wish I could say it's simple, but dry-cured meats are not (the meat in salami is not cooked). The recipe comes out of a book called Charcuterie by a guy named Ruhlmann. It includes curing salts and a bacterial culture intentionally mixed in with the ground meat and allowed to ferment for a day or two at room temperature. The process then involves drying at just the right temperature so you don't get bad mold growth, and just the right humidity so as to not allow the case to prematurely harden and essentially ruin the salami.

So, I could list the ingredients here but the process is much more important and involved, more than I could write out here, and honestly if it's not followed you could get sick. It's not a coincidence that the the word botulism comes from the Latin word for sausage. Get the book or do some research and you'll see what I mean.

I posted a bunch more info here, if I haven't scared you away yet :)

That's great, thanks - I already own that particular book so I'll check out the recipe/instructions there! That looks so good!

huh? Maybe someone snuck onto my patio Sunday and took pictures of my food. Here's another pic of the corn cooking. About half of that is still in my fridge... I think I'll take a knife and cut it off the cob tonight.

It was me!!! Sorry. I gave you credit in the footnotes.

I always grill mine in the husk. It steams nicely and tastes good without salt or butter, and the husk just peels off easily when cooked. Yours looks great! Don't get me wrong, but grilling it in the husk is so EASY!

It was me!!! Sorry. I gave you credit in the footnotes.

I always grill mine in the husk. It steams nicely and tastes good without salt or butter, and the husk just peels off easily when cooked. Yours looks great! Don't get me wrong, but grilling it in the husk is so EASY!

I've done it both ways and prefer this. It cooks quickly, and those scorched bits get carmelized, so I try to get those dark spots. Cooking the corn inside the husk leaves the corn looking perfect, but the taste isn't as good (IMO!).

What food forum are you guys hanging out on?

Been a long time but I had the day off yesterday and found that some of my venison was starting to get freezer burned. So I saved the good stuff and ground it up with some pork shoulders and spices to make some sausages. Long process but my daughter and I enjoyed teaching her to how to make her own. Plus we get to spend time in the kitchen together. Another bonus.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403263693.807760.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403263872.901309.jpg

I may be pickling it along with my liver, but occasionally it yields something that just fits perfectly. Feel free to steal it, if not my poor spelling.

Haven't started it yet, but tonight I'll be making smoked pork chops with a wild rice and apple dressing.

Ground some pork butt into sausage. Seasoned it up. Formed it into patties. Grilled and served on a bun with tomato on a paper plate. ...and served with a Pale Ale. Pure Summertime.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Since I live near to a Halal butcher, I've nearly given up on eating pork (except for bacon). Two reasons: 1) lamb tastes far better IMO, and 2) the Halal butcher actually sells lamb cheaper than the supermarkets sell the comparable pork cuts.

Grilling lamb breasts, sausages and corn at the summer cabin (small grill there).

Photo%2020.6.2014%2012.56.57.jpg

Photo%2020.6.2014%2012.50.28.jpg

Girls cooking sausages at our lakeside fire pit.

Photo%2020.6.2014%2020.45.23.jpg

Since I live near to a Halal butcher, I've nearly given up on eating pork (except for bacon). Two reasons: 1) lamb tastes far better IMO, and 2) the Halal butcher actually sells lamb cheaper than the supermarkets sell the comparable pork cuts.

Grilling lamb breasts, sausages and corn at the summer cabin (small grill there).

Photo%2020.6.2014%2012.56.57.jpg

Photo%2020.6.2014%2012.50.28.jpg

Girls cooking sausages at our lakeside fire pit.

Photo%2020.6.2014%2020.45.23.jpg

That makes me wonder how smoking up a lamb shoulder would turn out. Pulled lamb bbq? I may have to try this out. First though I need to explore the local ethnic butchers.

That makes me wonder how smoking up a lamb shoulder would turn out. Pulled lamb bbq? I may have to try this out. First though I need to explore the local ethnic butchers.

Should be quite good. I bet there are several Halal butchers in your area.

One of the top benefits of Halal meat is that it isn't fed animal by-products. In other words, mad cow disease could never have happened if all meat were kosher/halal.

A few years ago, before grilling really got popular in Finland, you could buy racks of pork ribs for about 4.50 EUR per kilo. Now the price for pork ribs is about 10 EUR per kilo and lamb ribs are actually cheaper at 6.90 EUR per kilo. To put it into perspective as to just how ridiculous it has become, pork ribs now cost about 30% more than pork tenderloin.

Should be quite good. I bet there are several Halal butchers in your area.

One of the top benefits of Halal meat is that it isn't fed animal by-products. In other words, mad cow disease could never have happened if all meat were kosher/halal.

A few years ago, before grilling really got popular in Finland, you could buy racks of pork ribs for about 4.50 EUR per kilo. Now the price for pork ribs is about 10 EUR per kilo and lamb ribs are actually cheaper at 6.90 EUR per kilo. To put it into perspective as to just how ridiculous it has become, pork ribs now cost about 30% more than pork tenderloin.

It's just the opposite here, you'd have to take out a second mortgage to eat lamb on a regular basis. Beef is starting to catch up though, saw a nice big choice packer brisket at the local butcher shop the other day for 70 bucks! :eek:

It's just the opposite here, you'd have to take out a second mortgage to eat lamb on a regular basis. Beef is starting to catch up though, saw a nice big choice packer brisket at the local butcher shop the other day for 70 bucks! :eek:

I will note that in the supermarkets here, lamb is anywhere between 25-50 EUR per kilo (more expensive . Whereas in the little muslim operated Halal shops, it's between 5 and 12 EUR per kilo. And they butcher it up right there, however you want it. The supermarkets don't even have butchers anymore...

Made steak for the the omnivores, since the vegetarian is out of town. Last time I posted a steak here, I got teased for not cooking the steak properly. You couldn't see any pink in the photos.
Bleh, don't listen to them. There is no wrong way to cook a steak. Raw to Burnt if that's the way you like it. If they rib you again, counterattack with them wanting to cook it at all in the first place. :) Raw trumps Rare and Medium Rare any day of the week if you're crazy enough to do it. ;)

That said, I'm now kicking myself for not taking pictures of this weekend's Baby Back Ribs with BBQ sauce from scratch. /sigh

Yep, brisket is the new skirt steak, which was the new tri-tip. A traditionally cheap cut of meat that's skyrocketed in price because it's gone all hipster...

I fear chicken thighs will be the next protein that all of the sudden triples in price due to popularity. :eek:

Back