What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're mashing right now, so dinner will be easy - KOTC voted for chili cheese dogs, which I make with spicy sausages instead of hot dogs. AND the sugarfree bread & butter jalapenos I made yesterday.

Nice rare piece of yellow tail, asparagus on the grill and brown rice.;)

IMG_3247.jpg

Smoked a pork butt and, when it got done early, I wrapped it and put it in the oven. I then took my charcoal chimney and scooped the remaining coals up. I coaxed that into a very hot fire and dumped it into the kettle grill and grilled beets and green beans.

Then we built a wood fire in the fire pit and roasted marshmallows and made s'mores with our nieces. Pretty darn good saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

BBQ'd burgers stuffed with shredded cheese,banana & sweet peppers,sweet onions small diced. Made fried sweet corn with sweet onions,hot paprika,etc. Took the remaining cheese/pepper/onion mixture & mixed it in with the corn. Sort of a Mexican corn side dish off the cob.:mug:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401654843.160740.jpg
I made chocolate chip pancakes for this guy(grandson)this morning. He won't use a plate yet just tips it over. I hate sweet breakfast foods like this but He loved them.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't think I've ever been so jealous on this thread :mug:

Not to compound the jealousy, but 100+ oysters were shucked and chargrilled with a butter, garlic, hot sauce, cayanne, and parm cheese mixture at the party also. No pics of that though. We do this party once a year :mug:

Not to compound the jealousy, but 100+ oysters were shucked and chargrilled with a butter, garlic, hot sauce, cayanne, and parm cheese mixture at the party also. No pics of that though. We do this party once a year :mug:

I'm jealous of the crawfish, too, but how could you destroy your oysters like that? You're supposed to eat them raw!!!

Picked strawberries yesterday...just finished making 4 pints of jam. Need to pull a loaf of salt-rising bread out of the freezer! (Makes the most awesome toast.)

DSC04886.jpg

DSC04880.jpg

And to whom should I address my generous bribe in order to get an invitation to this event?

DROOOOOL!

Temptd2's Bread & Butter Pickled Jalapenos

2 pounds fresh jalapeno peppers
1 large onion
4 cups Splenda or other sweetener of your choice, equivalent to 4 cups sugar
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon coarse un-iodized salt (sea salt or pickling salt)
2 teaspoons whole yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon whole celery seeds
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional but adds nice flavor)

Cut the tops off the peppers, then slice into rounds about 1/2" thick. Wear disposable latex gloves during this step - keeps you from rubbing capsaicin into your eyes by accident!

Cut off both ends of the onion, and peel. Cut onion in half at the equator, then cut each half in half again from top to bottom, then cut each quarter into slices from top to bottom so you have nice wedge-shaped pieces.

Add the vinegars to a 6 quart pot. Add sweetener and all the spices, stir well to distribute. Bring to a boil.

Add onion pieces to boiling liquid, stir well, then add all the pepper slices and stir again. Bring back to a boil, then cook about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, til the onions are translucent and the pepper slices turn from bright green to a dull green throughout.

If you're going to can this, follow proper water bath canning procedures.

If you're NOT going to can, let peppers cool to room temp, then store in a glass jar in the refrigerator. The turmeric will stain plastic so be aware of that when choosing stirring and storing utensils.

This is EXCELLENT alongside any grilled meats, ham, pork chops, whatever you like. Also great chopped up and added to tuna or chicken salad. Cooking the peppers mellows out most of the heat so you're left with a spicy pickle!

Makes about a quart of pickles.

NOTE: You might want to taste those jalapenos for heat before making this - if you don't like things too hot, seeding/deveining them first will remove most of the capsaicin and produce a nice mellow heat. SOME batches of jalapenos are MUCH hotter than others!

jalepeno pickles bread butter.jpg

Temptd2's Bread & Butter Pickled Jalapenos

2 pounds fresh jalapeno peppers
1 large onion
4 cups Splenda or other sweetener of your choice, equivalent to 4 cups sugar
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon coarse un-iodized salt (sea salt or pickling salt)
2 teaspoons whole yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon whole celery seeds
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional but adds nice flavor)

Cut the tops off the peppers, then slice into rounds about 1/2" thick. Wear disposable latex gloves during this step - keeps you from rubbing capsaicin into your eyes by accident!

Cut off both ends of the onion, and peel. Cut onion in half at the equator, then cut each half in half again from top to bottom, then cut each quarter into slices from top to bottom so you have nice wedge-shaped pieces.

Add the vinegars to a 6 quart pot. Add sweetener and all the spices, stir well to distribute. Bring to a boil.

Add onion pieces to boiling liquid, stir well, then add all the pepper slices and stir again. Bring back to a boil, then cook about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, til the onions are translucent and the pepper slices turn from bright green to a dull green throughout.

If you're going to can this, follow proper water bath canning procedures.

If you're NOT going to can, let peppers cool to room temp, then store in a glass jar in the refrigerator. The turmeric will stain plastic so be aware of that when choosing stirring and storing utensils.

This is EXCELLENT alongside any grilled meats, ham, pork chops, whatever you like. Also great chopped up and added to tuna or chicken salad. Cooking the peppers mellows out most of the heat so you're left with a spicy pickle!

Makes about a quart of pickles.

NOTE: You might want to taste those jalapenos for heat before making this - if you don't like things too hot, seeding/deveining them first will remove most of the capsaicin and produce a nice mellow heat. SOME batches of jalapenos are MUCH hotter than others!

Looks good! I'll probably make them this weekend but I'll be using sugar, just maybe not 4 cups.

Looks good! I'll probably make them this weekend but I'll be using sugar, just maybe not 4 cups.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I cook sugarfree - so you can definitely substitute real sugar in this recipe. It makes a fair amount so let me know how it turns out if you lessen the sweetening!

KOTC had the idea to do the jalapenos, after I made the cuke-based b & b pickles, which I posted upthread here someplace. We like these even better.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I cook sugarfree - so you can definitely substitute real sugar in this recipe. It makes a fair amount so let me know how it turns out if you lessen the sweetening!

KOTC had the idea to do the jalapenos, after I made the cuke-based b & b pickles, which I posted upthread here someplace. We like these even better.

I love B&B pickles (and all pickles really) and I love jalapenos so this looks right up my ally. I'll let you know how they come out :)

I used to buy the pickled banana pepper rings at BJ's so I could re-use the pickle juice. I'd go to the flea market & buy a bunch of jalapenos,cut the tops off & chuck'em in the jar with that pepper brine. After a couple weeks in the fridge I had Firepenos.

It is pretty easy to make your own good brine. I need to google it again, but vinegar water and salt (plus whatever seasonings) is great to dump a bunch of pepper rings of any kind in.

I added garlic and peppercorns to the last batch. FANTASTIC.

I've got a bunch of mom's old cookbooks scrawled in every available space with recipes. Other good ones checked off. Her recipe for ice box pickles in scrawled in one of them. Those were bloody addictive!

Back