What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fish Tacos with sautéed jalapeño.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404053567.779177.jpg

Sent from my kegerator

Did you do the curing and smoking? Links?

I don't have links, it's a hybrid method combining some I found online (which I don't even remember where I found them now :eek:)....

For two, 1-1.5lb fillets (if they're larger or really thick, can't say how it'll work):

Dry cure using 1/2c kosher salt and 1/2c brown sugar. Mix well and liberally cover fillets (more on flesh, less on skin). Wrap flesh to flesh with saran wrap, weight down with a plate and refridgerate for 10-12 hours (put it in a dish - it will leak and make a mess.

After 10-12 hours, rinse off cure and brine (1 quart water, 2.5oz table salt, 2 tablespoons white sugar - heated until dissolved, and chilled to below 40*F) in a ziplock bag in the fridge for 7-12 hours.

Rinse fillets in cold water for 2-3 minutes and then soak in cold water for 4-5 minutes. Dry well and rest in fridge overnight on a rack to allow pelicle to set up.

Cold smoke (below 80*F) with a mix of cherry/alder (I use the AMAZE-N pellet smoker in my WSM) for 3-5 hours, or longer if you like lots of smoke.

Wrap in saran wrap and rest overnight, or vacuum seal and freeze.

I've had the best luck with wild sockeye.

It's not hard, but it takes awhile (I cure overnight, brine the next day, rest overnight, and smoke the following morning) and requires some dedicated fridge space, but the end result is amazing!

I don't have links, it's a hybrid method combining some I found online (which I don't even remember where I found them now :eek:)....

For two, 1-1.5lb fillets (if they're larger or really thick, can't say how it'll work):

Dry cure using 1/2c kosher salt and 1/2c brown sugar. Mix well and liberally cover fillets (more on flesh, less on skin). Wrap flesh to flesh with saran wrap, weight down with a plate and refridgerate for 10-12 hours (put it in a dish - it will leak and make a mess.

After 10-12 hours, rinse off cure and brine (1 quart water, 2.5oz table salt, 2 tablespoons white sugar - heated until dissolved, and chilled to below 40*F) in a ziplock bag in the fridge for 7-12 hours.

Rinse fillets in cold water for 2-3 minutes and then soak in cold water for 4-5 minutes. Dry well and rest in fridge overnight on a rack to allow pelicle to set up.

Cold smoke (below 80*F) with a mix of cherry/alder (I use the AMAZE-N pellet smoker in my WSM) for 3-5 hours, or longer if you like lots of smoke.

Wrap in saran wrap and rest overnight, or vacuum seal and freeze.

I've had the best luck with wild sockeye.

It's not hard, but it takes awhile (I cure overnight, brine the next day, rest overnight, and smoke the following morning) and requires some dedicated fridge space, but the end result is amazing!

OK, thanks. I'll try it and let you know.

First cook on my new-to-me OTG. Slow cooked and first time I brined chicken. Amazing! I expected company but they didn't show so I have extra. I cannot believe how good this tasted in spite of trying to keep a consistent temp.

image.jpg

First cook on my new-to-me OTG. Slow cooked and first time I brined chicken. Amazing! I expected company but they didn't show so I have extra. I cannot believe how good this tasted in spite of trying to keep a consistent temp.

View attachment 208383

Once you start brining chicken and lean pork there is no turning back;)

KOTC and I have been really taking the easy way out lately and eating a lot of sandwiches - we're taking up a new sport, surf fishing, so it's been kind of all-consuming!

I still come in here and look at all the yumminess though and drool on the keyboard.

KOTC and I have been really taking the easy way out lately and eating a lot of sandwiches - we're taking up a new sport, smurf fishing, so it's been kind of all-consuming!

I still come in here and look at all the yumminess though and drool on the keyboard.

And how, pray tell, does one go fishing for smurfs?

Sorry, thats how I read it. There is nothing wrong with a good sammich. I dont make near as tasty looking food as often as the rest here do but here I sit with a puddle of drool on the desk.

Reminds me of that movie about the hip gray alien we found at the library that smokes,drinks & likes our foods. I wanna party with him!...

Just on a whim I threw together some shrimp tacos last night. I cooked the shrimp in a lime and fajita seasoning blend that SWMBO had picked up, then put it in tortillas with avacado, corn, and onions. Next time we'll add black beans and tomatoes. I also put some peppers and onions under the broiler and served that alongside the tacos.

Cooked my butt off today! I made chicken and cheese enchiladas, vegetarian spicy enchiladas with black beans, fresh corn and cheese, rice, beans, corn on the cobb, homemade guacamole, and cheese dip! SWMBO especially loved the veggie enchiladas, Kids were so excited about a sleepover at a friend's house that one of them didn't eat anything and the other at part of a bowl of plain rice.

*steam coming from ears*

But it was ALL good!

DSC05053.jpg

DSC05052.jpg

DSC05054.jpg

Just on a whim I threw together some shrimp tacos last night. I cooked the shrimp in a lime and fajita seasoning blend that SWMBO had picked up, then put it in tortillas with avacado, corn, and onions. Next time we'll add black beans and tomatoes. I also put some peppers and onions under the broiler and served that alongside the tacos.

Something similar......grilled shrimp tacos, cilantro, and homemade: broccoli slaw, pickled onions, and crema sauce.

img_20140703_213501_855-63241.jpg

Oh, and that's a small plate and small tortillas, not huge shrimp. :p

Something similar......grilled shrimp tacos, cilantro, and homemade: broccoli slaw, pickled onions, and crema sauce.

img_20140703_213501_855-63241.jpg

Oh, and that's a small plate and small tortillas, not huge shrimp. :p

Now thats what I call eating

Cooked my butt off today! I made chicken and cheese enchiladas, vegetarian spicy enchiladas with black beans, fresh corn and cheese, rice, beans, corn on the cobb, homemade guacamole, and cheese dip! SWMBO especially loved the veggie enchiladas, Kids were so excited about a sleepover at a friend's house that one of them didn't eat anything and the other at part of a bowl of plain rice.

*steam coming from ears*

But it was ALL good!

This is another example of how I like to eat looking goods fellas

I thought up this recipe nearly a week ago. But I made it to go with hot dogs today. It comes out tasting like an Italian gravy!

*Italian Gravy Beans*
2-3 cans light red kidney beans with liquor
1-28oz can stewed tomatoes, chopped fine with liquor
One large sweet onion, cut into petals
3 stalks celery, small dice
Sea salt & pepper to taste
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 TBSP or so Italian mixed herbs
1-12oz bottle Irish red ale
Mediterranean extra virgin olive oil
> Clean onion & slice in half through the middle. Then cut into 3/8" slices one way. Then cut into 3/8" slices the other way, @ a 90 degree angle. These chunks will separate into petals as they cook. Trim celery stalks, then cut into 3" pieces. Cut each piece into 3 lengths. Then chop into thin pieces. Heat a dutch oven on 6 till hot. Then pour in about 1/8C oc the EV olive oil. Mediterranean tastes best to me. When hot, add onions & celery, cooking till just translucent. Then pour in bottle of Irish red. Then add the chopped stewed tomatoes. Add the salt & pepper now& boil about 30 minutes to reduce, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to 3 & simmer a couple hours till thickened, stirring occasionally. Then add the Italian seasoning. Correct olive oil & garlic flavors if needed. Simmer a while longer till thickened nicely.
* I only had 2 cans of the light red kidney beans. 3 would've been better. White Italian cannellini beans would work great also.

I might be dehydrated from drooling over all the tasty looking & sounding food in this thread; guess I need a beer! (and a snack). :mug:
Regards, GF.

Found another use for leftover pulled smoked pork and made some tacos. I just tossed the pork in a skillet at low/med heat in a mix of beer and taco seasoning until the liquid reduced, then topped it off with avocado, onions, tomatoes, and a little cheese.

Back