What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401924240.595909.jpg
Make some steak tacos with Salsa Mexicana and Avocado. Damn good

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made some KILLER homebrewed Porter-braised short ribs, and some quinoa pilaf. KOTC said, "Don't forget to take pictures!" but we dug into it so fast, that pictures were not thought of again til it was too late!

Maybe when I dish up the leftovers though.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402089963.545778.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402089988.362283.jpg
Lots of animal protein this week this Flank steak was marinated in Asian flavors. Fresh Ginger garlic cilantro green onion Thai chilies sambal oelek pepper and soy for saltiness.

I got a couple salmon fillets last night. I usually get skin-on fillets and cook them on the grill with the skin side down, but these were skinless. I didn't want to put them directly on the grill grate because they might fall apart, so i put a cast iron pan directly over the coals, let it get rockin' hot, and put the fillets on that with just a touch of olive oil.

I let them sit for a while, and they developed a very nice crispy, flavorful brown fried layer on the side that was in contact with the iron. When they got close to being done, I turned them over onto a warm tray and finished them off in a 150 deg oven, and served it with couscous and some gently wilted spinach.

Now that we've eaten all healthy, we can pig out on a giant brisket tomorrow.

EDIT: It occurred to me that this would be a really good way to cook sea scallops.

food.jpg
simple plate of food from Friday I was eating alone. I mixed Mexican with Continental. I'm better than that

Last edited by a moderator:
Made another batch of the bread & butter jalapenos today - then canned them in the steam canner. 2 pint jars and 4 half-pint jars.

I ate one onion piece that was left clinging to the pan. Uh oh - I think these may be atomic B & B jalapenos! It was pretty hot!

FINALLY got (mostly) moved into our new house and got a fridge after about a week of waiting for it to be delivered. Nothing quite like a home cooked meal after Ramen and takeout for that long.

First meal in the new place was Chicken Kiev. From what wife and I remember, it was the first thing I cooked for her when we moved in together so it simply had to be that. Pictured below with a side of stir-fried broccoli and roasted red potatoes with salt, pepper, rosemary, olive oil, and Parmesan.

IMG_20140609_203818_142.jpg

Made steak for the the omnivores, since the vegetarian is out of town. Last time I posted a steak here, I got teased for not cooking the steak properly. You couldn't see any pink in the photos. (There was a *little*, but it did get away from me a little running back and forth to the kitchen and multitasking.) Tonight's selection is a 2 lb porterhouse. I started this one in a pan and finished it in the oven. I removed the filet and cooked the strip a few more minutes (it was still under 100F internal temp. After resting, The filet was on the high side of medium-rare...redder closer to the bone, of course. The strip was a juicy medium. There were no leftovers. (I like it pretty rare, but the kids won't eat it that way...this is my compromise, leading them in the right direction.)

DSC05002.jpg

DSC05003.jpg

DSC05004.jpg

I have also found that camera flashes like to wash the pink out of meat shots (that sounds terrible). If you turn the flash off or diffuse it more you will notice that it looks far better.

I've been busy doing this. One full flat of strawberries, hulled and sliced. Next I will douse them with some of that sugarfree Torani's strawberry syrup, then freeze in quart containers.

That bottle is 750ml for scale!

Next up - 4 lamb shanks, about to be browned and then braised in homebrewed porter.

strawberries 6-12-14.jpg

I made salami. About 3 weeks ago, I ground the pork, stuffed it into hog casings, let them ferment about a day at room temperature, hung them over some lagers I was fermenting at 55F and waited about 3 weeks.

Today, I pulled them out and it's eating time. They taste just like salami you get at the store. Just in time for the Italy / England game. Woot!

pork-grinding-63055.jpg

drying-sausages-63049.jpg

_mg_8415-63108.jpg

_mg_8420-63109.jpg

Did some Father's Day grillin' for Dad. Brats, kielbasa, asparagus, beets, all served up with some of New Glarus Brewery's fabulous seasonal hefeweizen, and topped off with a cheater dessert (which came from a bakery) but he loves chocolate so I got some crazy flourless chocolate cake/chocolate mousse/and more chocolate heap of chocolatey awesomeness.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402861015.819888.jpg
Tinga de Pollo with Habanero salsa. I'm trying to shed the 30lbs I've gained since I started homebrewing so i used romaine leaves in place of tortillas.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402861129.901276.jpg
The salsa is simple half red onion, 3 habanero chilis (seeds and all) juice of a large lime, cilantro and salt. I love spicy food and this lit me up even my eyes were sweating but it was very good. i like the crunch of the romaine.

View attachment 205890
Tinga de Pollo with Habanero salsa. I'm trying to shed the 30lbs I've gained since I started homebrewing so i used romaine leaves in place of tortillas.
View attachment 205891
The salsa is simple half red onion, 3 habanero chilis (seeds and all) juice of a large lime, cilantro and salt. I love spicy food and this lit me up even my eyes were sweating but it was very good. i like the crunch of the romaine.

That looks delicious. I'd hit that.

I've lost some weight in the last year. Homebrew had me up to 190, where I was very uncomfortable. I cut back on the calories, and increased my exercise, and I'm back to 175 where I'm much happier. I'll probably keep it up until I get to 165 or so, then maintain.

That looks delicious. I'd hit that.

I've lost some weight in the last year. Homebrew had me up to 190, where I was very uncomfortable. I cut back on the calories, and increased my exercise, and I'm back to 175 where I'm much happier. I'll probably keep it up until I get to 165 or so, then maintain.

Yeah having 40-50 gallons of beer on hand at all times hasn't been kind to my waist line. I'm determined to lose the 30 pounds I've gained. The lettuce wrap idea is a good one I'll be utilizing it more often. I am back in the gym 4 times per week after a year off and I have dropped 8 pounds in 2 weeks.

Left pork loins in the freezer by mistake so I ended up making a delicious grilled cheese. Very simple; white bread, butter, and medium cheddar with a glad of milk on the side. Watched R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour while I ate. Living that 90s kid lifestyle.

I've been busy doing this. One full flat of strawberries, hulled and sliced. Next I will douse them with some of that sugarfree Torani's strawberry syrup, then freeze in quart containers.

That bottle is 750ml for scale!

Next up - 4 lamb shanks, about to be browned and then braised in homebrewed porter.

What are you making with the strawberries, exactly? Reminds me of when my parents had a strawberry patch in their garden, they would slice berries and add a bunch of sugar and let the strawberries break down into a nice topping for shortcake and ice cream.

What are you making with the strawberries, exactly? Reminds me of when my parents had a strawberry patch in their garden, they would slice berries and add a bunch of sugar and let the strawberries break down into a nice topping for shortcake and ice cream.

They're really not for a specific purpose. They are KOTC's favorite fruit. He defrosts them and then uses them on his cereal and also has a topping for our homemade yogurt.

And if he's REALLLL lucky - I make some low-carb shortcakes for him! :)

Didn't last long enough to get pics,but made boneless sliced pork center loin chops. Breaded with seasoned flour & browned. Then simmered in Rotel diced stewed tomatoes with jalapenos mixed with plain tomato sauce. With dogs doused with salsa verde & corn on the cob.

Mmmm, lamb. NOM NOM NOM!
Those legs look awesome! Did you use a reflector & indirect heat?
Regards, GF.

Thanks! I built a 36" round fire pit that I rigged a rotisserie to. I get a nice hard wood fire going to get a nice bed of coals and cook over that. I toss a few smaller pieces of wood on throughout the cook so the meat takes on some smoke and flame.

OMGOSH that salami looks divine!

Recipe please?

I wish I could say it's simple, but dry-cured meats are not (the meat in salami is not cooked). The recipe comes out of a book called Charcuterie by a guy named Ruhlmann. It includes curing salts and a bacterial culture intentionally mixed in with the ground meat and allowed to ferment for a day or two at room temperature. The process then involves drying at just the right temperature so you don't get bad mold growth, and just the right humidity so as to not allow the case to prematurely harden and essentially ruin the salami.

So, I could list the ingredients here but the process is much more important and involved, more than I could write out here, and honestly if it's not followed you could get sick. It's not a coincidence that the the word botulism comes from the Latin word for sausage. Get the book or do some research and you'll see what I mean.

I posted a bunch more info here, if I haven't scared you away yet :)

Yesterday we did a collaboration dinner for my father.

Mom and sister cooked inside and gave me the grill. Mom and sister made Potato Salad, mini crabcakes, corn on the cob and some stuffed zucchinis, while I got to grill up some massive scallops wrapped in bacon. I so wish I had taken pictures. Was a beautiful and tasty spread eating on the back deck after swimming in the pool.

Back