What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7605DB6D-0FD2-4BA1-AECD-74485E1F6FC3_zps5nla0xic.jpg

Cast iron seared, bone marrow butter basted, prime rib eye steak. :mug:

Roast beef for me tonight. No plated shot unfortunately so you have to make do with the individual ones.

Was rather tasty

deboned rib, salt/pepper/herbs/oil
74xw26G.jpg

cooked. was medium and fell in half :blush:
NiIRbiD.jpg

roasties, parsnips, spring greens
C1sVs8I.jpg

onion gravy
lcKQwOx.jpg

world class yorkies
c0KxOE0.jpg

Wish I had plated better...

Traditional corned beef with smashed potatoes and roasted cabbage.

View attachment 562496

That looks damned good. The kids are coming over today so I’ve got mine cooking now. I also like to add turnips, parsnips and carrots. This afternoon can’t come too soon.

Corned beef brisket boil yesterday. Just finishing the clean up this morning.

The corned beef is almost done. Eight pounds of corned beef is down there. Added 3 pounds carrots, three pounds potatoes, three onions, and one large cabbage. Brewing kettle doing double duty again.

94b33777bae5834293af008094f3563a60b35f02.jpg

Everyone was hungry by the time the vegetables were done so no nice picture of a corned beef plate. Did take a picture of the leftovers this morning.

21ad4df3184a4685b96f34cde4f6acd30135d912.jpg

I thought the three pound corned beef wouldn't be touched. Two light eaters and one dieter at the table changed their minds.

The Dead Ringer was the only beer on hand that could stand up to the corned beef with different varieties of mustard and the horseradish sauce.

Bigos, pirogies, spent grain bread and HB Grodziskie to drink.

View attachment 563102
So do you include tomato or prunes in your Bigos? I know both are a controversy in recipes. I think my grandma's recipe didn't have either.

Just bought a bunch of cabbage from St Paddy's and fermenting some saurkraut. I may try my hand at it.

Wife had a wisdom tooth pulled this morning. She said it came out with a piece of jaw bone attached.

Since I wasn’t feeling the soft/mushy diet, I treated myself to some gluttony. 20 oz certified angus porterhouse. No problem taking it all down.

View attachment 563581

View attachment 563582
Your porterhouse looks really good, I hope you didn't eat it in front of your wife! ;)

So do you include tomato or prunes in your Bigos? I know both are a controversy in recipes. I think my grandma's recipe didn't have either.

Just bought a bunch of cabbage from St Paddy's and fermenting some saurkraut. I may try my hand at it.
I didn't use tomato or prune, but I did toss in some raisins for a little sweetness. I have made it with dried mushrooms in the past, but used fresh baby portobellos this time The nice thing about it is that with exception of cabbage, onions, kraut and kielbasa it is a flexible dish-- most any meat can go in it. Easy once it is all together. I had only eaten it in restaurants, before I started making it, and each place was a little different. I'm sure your Grandma's recipie is a good one.

Well I remember it as a kid and whatever regional recipe hardly ever used tomato except for golumki. Now that you say it I think I remember raisins. Most of it was saurkraut, spices and mushroom. Lots of mushrooms. Now I have more of a taste for sour Im going to give it a try.

I was reading some recipes online that mention smoked meat alot even smoking the prunes. One mentions serving with pull pork over rye bread.

Give me about 6 weeks until the ferment ends ;)

image.jpeg

Steak night. This was cooked sous vide because the first steaks I had from the package were a little chewy, though not terrible for the price. 2.5 hours sous vide really made a nice difference. Served with mash, broccoli and creamy cucumber salad using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

Your porterhouse looks really good, I hope you didn't eat it in front of your wife! ;)

I was unusually nice about it. I made her and the boys dinner first. I didn’t tell her what I got or even unwrap it until they were done eating and out of the kitchen. Then I ate alone, in peace and quiet. Not a bad deal actually.

Back