What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn’t take a pic last night but here are some of the leftovers for today’s lunch. Turned out great.
IMG_1538.jpg

I have only grilled salmon once. By some luck it was edible. I need pictures to revive my interest in different salmon preparations.

Do you sous vide?

My favorite way to salmon is a quick brine, then sous vide with olive oil and dill at 122* for 30 minutes. Then a quick sear to crisp up the skin.

Do you sous vide?

My favorite way to salmon is a quick brine, then sous vide with olive oil and dill at 122* for 30 minutes. Then a quick sear to crisp up the skin.
Not now but maybe soon. I think I would first prep a steak for reverse searing. Salmon would be next.

I came here for the beer talk, but this might end up my favorite thread!

I got some fresh pizza dough and gonna throw a few on the BGE this afternoon. Will by my first try at starting with raw dough. What could go wrong [emoji51]
Then you are going to love the pizza thread. Check it out. Edit i see az_ipa beat me to it.

Just pku here. Have really been enjoying the dishes and that chilli verde looked amazing paul. That curry looks super tasty evilgrin and I have enjoyed the cooking hoppy.

This is a farmed salmon... (I know, not the best for the environment, or health) it is fatty and hard to over cook. When I have coho or wild sockeye I like to poach it with wine, garlic and/or some lemon and dill. Poaching at a simmer, keeps the filet tender and moist. Sous vide would ensure it stays tender and moist as well.

Last edited:
We had the leftover homemade chicken/pasta soup, and I made "square pan salt & pepper biscuits" - biscuit dough pressed into a baking pan, melted butter poured on top, scored into 9 squares, sprinkled with freshly-ground Hawaiian sea salt and black pepper. They were soooo tender and good!

I'm going to have to try pastrami. Looks delicious. When the snow is gone.

You should. It’s fun to prep the corned beef, pretty easy, and the the results after the long slow smoke are just amazing. I studied up on it at amazingribs.com, which is an amazing site and covers all the safety aspects and recipes very well. Site is highly recommended!

My latest batch of wings, this time on the grill:

vLda5VI.jpg

Had some pecan wood mixed in with the lump charcoal.

Wings cooked indirectly for ~40 minutes total (flipped halfway through), then seared, and lastly brushed with sauce on both sides.

Lid back on for 5 minutes to let the sauce set up; this pic was taken immediately before the wings were plated and devoured.

They were quite tasty. Thankfully I have ~15-18 left for breakfast tomorrow.

DANG, Travis, that made my mouth water! Haven't done any kind of smoking in a while. We've been in the new place 3 months now; there was a good month prior to that of prepping to move, moving to a temporary location for 2 weeks, then driving here 2 days - and have had snow and rain so not good smoking weather YET but I feel it coming on!

I don’t know how to tell when anchovies are ripe, never mind overripe. Can gets rusty?

Our neighbors had fresh, out of the water anchovies which have little to no fishy-ness. Two days in the fridge was all it took to impart a high level of fish flavor...crazy eh? The turtle is happy though :)

Still haven't found the temp I like yet. I want that goo center without the white runs. It doesn't seem like I can have my cake and eat it, too, though.

The problem with eggs is that the temperature where yolks gel is so far below from where the whites coagulate its basically impossible to get both a running yolk and set white using traditional set-and-forget sous vide mentality.

After i made those i burned through a dozen eggs using a variety of temps/times. The only way i started to get closer to that panacea was to go with a temp high enough to set the white, but not cook it long enough for it to reach the yolk. I was having limited success doing this with temps in the mid 170s for about 10-11 minutes. The whites were setting too hard though. I need to try again with lower temps... or just use my standard egg poaching skills.

Sous vide at 145 for 45 minutes.

The key is to drain the egg with a slotted spoon leaving the "loose white" behind.

The loose white is really nasty... but even at 145F the tight white is barely set and most people would call it "raw". I'm only willing to overlook the white because the yolk is so heavenly, but its borderline.

The problem with the egg is different coagulation temps of the proteins. The perfect temps for whites is 175 and yolks are best at 140. A classic soft boiled egg is made at 147. With a two step process it’s possible to cook a firm white and still have a runny yolk.

At work we drop the cold egg Into 210 degree water for three min, remove the egg to an ice bath and then cook it sousvide at 140 for 47 min. That will leave you a runny yoke and a set firm white. You can cook it for only 35 min and have good results. 47 min will pasteurize.

You can reverse the process and temps if you prefer.

Personally I prefer to poach but we have made 1000’s of eggs sous vide for Sunday brunch at work. The upside is pasteurization and hold-ability for large scale production.

DANG, Travis, that made my mouth water! Haven't done any kind of smoking in a while. We've been in the new place 3 months now; there was a good month prior to that of prepping to move, moving to a temporary location for 2 weeks, then driving here 2 days - and have had snow and rain so not good smoking weather YET but I feel it coming on!

Thank you so much for the compliment! Y’all will get settled in soon and I can’t wait for more of your posts! Always a treat!

Way past my turn to cook. Pretty good throw together dinner. Flat iron, slow cooked on grill, heavy salt and pepper, with smoke box going. Zucchini and squash tossed in olive oil with kosher salt put on next to it. Heated up olive oil and sweated one clove of smashed and chopped up garlic in it. Tossed in and cooked with left over brown rice and homemade black beans. Surprisingly fairly tasty and reminded me of gallo pinto, and other versions of rice and beans.
20180313_174650.jpg
20180313_175433.jpg

Simple pan seared Sirloin, sauteed red onion, yellow bell and portobella mushrooms. Paired with a 2008 Hess Block 19 Cuveé.

Oh yum, would you part with the recipe? KOTC would LOVE that!
http://thewoksoflife.com/2016/02/spicy-beef-noodle-soup/

I did add about 6 slices of fresh ginger with the spices and only about 10 cups of water. If you reduce the water you will also need to reduce the soy sauce. Soak the pickled mustard/nappa for around 30min in water if you dont want it as sour/salty. Fresh nappa or Shanghai boy choy is also excellent in the soup. The Shanghai bok choy looks like baby bok choy buts it more green.

BTW get the Pixian chili bean sauce if you can find it. Most common markets will only have the LKK which is mediocre. You want the one on the left.
chili-broad-bean-paste.jpg

Last edited:
Back