What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Hoppy2bmerry that stew and bread meal was inspiring.

Interesting day here. Didnt cook it or eat it, but caught some sea bass and whiting and filleted it. First time catching ocean fish and filleting it. It looked tasty

20180325_223759.jpg

Who needs sides when you have beer

Everyone is coming over for muscles tomorrow night, any, all tips welcome!

@Hoppy2bmerry loving that bread and the salsa. I like the couple slices of avocado on the side.

Thanks, can never go wrong with freshly baked bread, right? Making white or red sauce mussles? Either way, don't skimp on the garlic, don't over cook them and scrub the shells removing the beards.

Last edited:
Mussels. Clean them. Garlic, touch of hot pepper, lots of butter, sautéed in a pan. Add the mussels. Bottle of white wine. Salt. Pepper. Lemon wedges. More or less per your taste. Save a few for the table. Chopped parsley. Reduce. Wait till they open. Step away from the stove. Step away from the stove. Step away from the stove. Less is more.

Last edited:
Wow paul that looks amazing. Beautiful plate too.

Thank you paul, dude, and hoppy for the tips, really led me in all the right directions! In laws decided they wanted me to make pizza and i went along with them because it was going to save me 20 or whatever the mussels were going to cost. Half way through making the pizzas i thought, this sucks, would have been much less work to make the mussels I think. Maybe tomorrow i will make them. Garlic, butter, and wine, sounds good to me. The dash of hot pepper sounds good as well. I like that recipe a lot dude. Man, i need to eat more mussels.

Yea. If you can find the video of its pretty good. Like Paul said less is more. Second to that is freshest makes it the difference. I've had a couple of times where the mussels didn't cook evenly. Using the roasting pan/oven makes it easy and foolproof.

I wish I had a better picture but... Good God... without exaggeration, it was one of the best things I’ve eaten in a long time.

Smoked duck, roasted garlic/gruyere sausage, and bacon cassoulet.

I had a lotta time to kill in the brewhouse and my smoker was already there, but then all I had was a gas grill with a side burner. I improvised on a couple recipes and came up with the final dish.

Smoked the duck with cherrywood for two hours on high temp (275). Had a roasting tin lined with heavy-duty alum foil underneath catching the drippings. After 2 hours, I put the duck in the pan, pulled up the tin foil so the duck was pretty much wrapped in it, and then roasted it for another 90 min, in its own fat, at 425 on the grill.

I took a grate from the smoker, wrapped it in tin foil, and covered a decent chunk of the bottom grill grate as to creat an “oven” and eliminate the direct heat... and then put the baking dish on the top wrack. Grill has a basic thermometer and maintaining temp was way easier than I thought it would be.

Store bough sausage, cob smoked bacon... mirepoux, diced tomatoes and great northern beans. Once the duck was done, I carved the breasts and legs and dropped em in. Baked at 425 for two more hours. (The pic is before it had simmered all the way down and really thickened up).

Some nice crunchy french bread...

It was insane.

IMG_9950.jpg

Oh geez, would love to sink my fork into that cassoulet! NICE work!

What's everyone having for Easter?

KOTC and I just ate a ham steak about 1.5" thick, pangrilled that in butter and had some fried eggs and roasted potatoes/onions/peppers with it. Just KOTC and me, that's what we decided sounded good and boy - it was! A little cherry cobbler with whipped cream later and we'll call it all good.

Carnitas in the pressure cooker. Turned out really well!

I kinda marinated the pork butt meat in OJ and stock with lots of garlic, onion, cumin and cinnamon which was kind of surprising to see in the recipe, but it worked. Pressure cook, then put the pork in a 450° oven to crisp up, then shred and put in tortillas with avocado and raw white onion. Very tasty!

Well if I had to take a wild guess, based on my somewhat limited knowledge of Indian fare, I'd say naan, chana masala, saag paneer (if there is paneer cheese in it anyway,) and maybe lamb vindaloo? That's what my vindaloo looks like anyway!

Happy easter. Beautiful hams and foods. After 11 hours of travel did what I could and slapped together a dandy. We have ham smoked with pumpkin pie spice freeze sealed but we also had left over prime rib. Went with the prime rib and over reheated it sadly. Cherry and hickory mix smoked. Microwaved bob evans mash and mac and cheese, asparagus, and homemade bread pizza. Took frozen homemade bread slathered it with pizza sauce, mozzarella and some pepperoni. Seared on hot steel.
20180401_180353.jpg
20180401_180349.jpg
20180401_182229.jpg

Happy easter. Beautiful hams and foods. After 11 hours of travel did what I could and slapped together a dandy. We have ham smoked with pumpkin pie spice freeze sealed but we also had left over prime rib. Went with the prime rib and over reheated it sadly. Cherry and hickory mix smoked. Microwaved bob evans mash and mac and cheese, asparagus, and homemade bread pizza. Took frozen homemade bread slathered it with pizza sauce, mozzarella and some pepperoni. Seared on hot steel. View attachment 564601View attachment 564602View attachment 564603

Girlfriend has been extremely sick all weekend so we didn't have any extravagant meals today, but just found it funny I did the same exact thing for lunch! Pulled some bread out of the freezer this morning and put a bunch of pizza sauce/mozzarella/pepperoni and jalapenos on it and baked at 375 for a few minutes. Turned out great for something quick and easy. We eat mac and cheese for everything so we microwaved some Traders Joes frozen mac and cheese to pair with it hahaha. Wish I had the ham/prime rib though! Yours looks great!

Man, there is a TON of win in this thread today! PTN stole the show with his flambe shot, but AZ's ham is just gorgeous, as is that awesome looking cassoulet by Cape Brewing...
Well done, all! :mug:
Regards, GF.

Well if I had to take a wild guess, based on my somewhat limited knowledge of Indian fare, I'd say naan, chana masala, saag paneer (if there is paneer cheese in it anyway,) and maybe lamb vindaloo? That's what my vindaloo looks like anyway!

Spot on what I would have guessed! Looks like a little visible paneer in the spinach :)

Spot on what I would have guessed! Looks like a little visible paneer in the spinach :)

The curry was a bit of a bastardization. It started off as a jar sauce, but when I tasted it i didn't think it had enough heat or spice, so i boosted it with with cayenne, red curry powder, yellow curry powder and garam masala.

But the rest was channa masala and palak paneer, and of course the naan.

We just had the inaugural run of the Weber gas grill here in our new place. Beer brats, simmered in beer and onions first on the auxiliary burner, then put over onto the preheated grill for a 2 minute sear each side. They turned out awesome! Whole wheat buns, side of Caesar salad with homemade dressing, and the dogs dressed with our favorite - homemade mustard mixed with minced onion and dill pickle relish. Washed it all down with a brew, of course!

The slaw is easy. Its a oil and vinegar slaw mostly.

1 14 oz bag of Dole slaw mix or about 4-6 cups of sliced cabbage
3 Tbs Extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbs white balsamic or white wine vinegar
Juice from half a lime (1-2tbs)
2-3 Tsp Dijon mustard
3 Tsp granulated sugar
1/4 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp black pepper
Pinch of mild pepper flakes...i used Korean
Sprinkle of ginger powder

Optional
Couple tbs of crushed pineapple/juice and/or chopped mango
Genetikx Carribean Red/pineapple hot sauce to taste
1-2 tbs of mayo
A little thinly sliced red cabbage
2 green onions (white part), chopped or a little thinly sliced red onion

Add salt and sugar to the slaw mix. Stir well and allow to weep for 15 minutes.
Whisk the rest of the ingredients together.
After the slaw mix has rested a few minutes in the salt/sugar add the dressing to your liking according to how wet you want it. Remember it will "juice" more in the fridge.

I used white balsamic and tbs fresh pineapple juice because i like the sweetness. No mayo this time because im using this one mainly to top some jerk chicken tacos and sriracha/habanero mayo will be on the side.

Long week. Was thinking of grilling fish but they had a sale on whole chicken so I tried pressure cooker chicken soup. Really simple. Soy sauce, onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Thru some dried up mushrooms from the Chinese market. Throw whole chicken in pot and high pressure for 20 minutes. Throw some noodles in there as your shredding the chicken and add chicken when done.

If I'm ever coming down with a cold this is on the menu.

EDIT: I don't know why I never remember this and I time it about every other year but never go to your butcher on the day before Orthodox Easter. Insanity! You'll never see so many people speaking Greek and goats in different stages of being processed.

IMG_20180407_202439.jpg

Last edited:
I'm back from spending a week with the in laws, I did some cooking while there- just a couple basic meals and some bread. Anyway I'm enjoying catching up on some great looking dishes. BIL roasted a 10# prime rib ( off the bone) to perfection for Easter. Five mins per pound at 500F then keep the oven door shut and the oven off for 2 hours. It was great! It did make the house smoky so if you do this method vent fan on high and a window open would be a good idea.

Simple supper last night. Cob corn, canned beans, and too small of hot dogs. Forgot about the left over chili from the night before. That would have filled up that bun. Froze 128 ears of corn from the garden last year. Might have nearly a hundred left.

Filled the crock pot day before for the chili and then moved on to brewing a Witbeir.

resized169.jpg
resized163.jpg

Back