What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whole chickens were $0.99/lb, so I’m gonna play a bit.

Legs and thighs will be in a mushroom/orzo/spinach thing tonight, breasts for cacciatore tomorrow and, since I need stock for both recipes, I’m gonna throw all the bones, giblets and stuff into the pressure cooker to try and make a couple quarts of fresh stock. We shall see.

image.jpeg
Pernil, homemade sourdough roll, corn and baked sweet potato. HB Belgian IPA to drink.

Whole chickens were $0.99/lb, so I’m gonna play a bit.
Legs and thighs will be in a mushroom/orzo/spinach thing tonight, breasts for cacciatore tomorrow and, since I need stock for both recipes, I’m gonna throw all the bones, giblets and stuff into the pressure cooker to try and make a couple quarts of fresh stock. We shall see.
Sounds good. Beer brining imparts a good flavor, if you don't mind the increased sodium.

I live in California but my roots are in Alabama. Got this in the mail today, I see some ribs and Boston butts in my near future.
IMG_1274.jpg

Yuppers! Neighbors fortunately do not like those nor shrimp. We also get their rock shrimp or whatever they're called...amazing with garlic and butter.

If you're talking Monterey Bay Spot Prawns, then wowzers, never move!! ;) Those things are so sweet and good and very limited season on them. That's one thing I'll miss about living there for sure.

Now if they're also giving you some Monterey Bay squid, I might point my vehicle in that direction and see you in two days! ;)

If you're talking Monterey Bay Spot Prawns, then wowzers, never move!! ;) Those things are so sweet and good and very limited season on them. That's one thing I'll miss about living there for sure.

Now if they're also giving you some Monterey Bay squid, I might point my vehicle in that direction and see you in two days! ;)

Santa Barbara Channel Ridgeback Shrimp, but they are sweet and limited. They get these once a year through their seafood co-op thing, and they did in fact get squid last year...rather, we got squid last year. I believe that was another one of those once a year deals though.

IMG_0436.JPG
Well, here is today's experiment! We saw this done on a cooking show - the chef put a thick version of a chicken pot pie filling into puff pastry dough to make individual chicken pies. So I bought the pastry and made my usual pot pie filling, just thicker.

They look really pretty but I find the puff pastry dough very incongruous with the chicken pie filling? Just doesn't seem to go together to me. Won't likely do it again, but had fun with the puff pastry dough! I just bought a can of sugarfree cherry pie filling - I think THAT would be a better use of the puff pastry - nice triangle turnovers! :)

Wow, never heard of those! Glad you get them, they sound great. So these are not things for which they are fishing, but rather something they get through a group buy. Yum!

Exactly. They're part of this CSA-style thing where they get fish either weekly or biweekly that is caught fresh somewhere along the California Coast...always local and sustainable practices.

What's it look like on the inside?

I'll try to remember to take a picture of the next one I dig into! ;) The good stuff in there - chicken thigh meat, peas and carrots from a frozen bag, pearl onions from a frozen bag, fresh broccoli and cauliflower florets (cut very small), celery which was sauteed in butter, seasonings.

Exactly. They're part of this CSA-style thing where they get fish either weekly or biweekly that is caught fresh somewhere along the California Coast...always local and sustainable practices.

I thought about joining one of those CSAs but never did it. Figured I'd rather spend the money getting exactly what I wanted - and had the time to do so. I can see where for a busy person/family, it might make sense to get fresh stuff delivered directly to your door - but if you get a lot of stuff you don't like, as your neighbors seem to do (to your lucky benefit, LOL!) then I'm not sure how it would work for me. Cool idea though.

I'll try to remember to take a picture of the next one I dig into! ;) The good stuff in there - chicken thigh meat, peas and carrots from a frozen bag, pearl onions from a frozen bag, fresh broccoli and cauliflower florets (cut very small), celery which was sauteed in butter, seasonings.

I'm curious what the consistency looked like? We're trying to replicate a dish my wife grew up on in Mexico, and it's a chicken pot pie. It's nothing that I've ever had before, and it's only available at this one place...some secret recipe b.s..

I thought about joining one of those CSAs but never did it. Figured I'd rather spend the money getting exactly what I wanted - and had the time to do so. I can see where for a busy person/family, it might make sense to get fresh stuff delivered directly to your door - but if you get a lot of stuff you don't like, as your neighbors seem to do (to your lucky benefit, LOL!) then I'm not sure how it would work for me. Cool idea though.

They still have to pick it up, but I think the interest is that the seafood they get is all locally sourced and done so sustainably. It would be similar to going to the docks and buying it directly from the fishermen/women. This particular one (Real Good Fish) has pick up locations though so you don't have to deal with the drunken sailors.

So we’re back from vacation one day and it’s dumped 8 inches of snow so far and still snowing. This is BS. Today is my regular day off (4x10 hour days) and so I’m making AZIPA inspired chili verde. Never made this before, should be interesting.
IMG_1524.jpg

Trotters were practically free. The steaks cost $3.49 total.
IMG_1532.jpg
IMG_1529.jpg

I've got a pot of chile verde going too - in the Instant Pot though! And I love that Trader Joe's Hatch chile salsa.

I started with 3 pounds of pork cubes from a pork shoulder we cut up in anticipation of making sausage. I saw that the vacuum seal had failed on the bag so figured I'd best get to fixing something. Put all the frozen cubes into the IP with a 12 ounce beer, a chopped onion, about 8 cloves of chopped garlic, plenty of oregano, epazote, cumin; and let that cook on High pressure for 30 minutes. Opened it up and set to Saute and just let it simmer off about half the liquid, then added a can of Hatch green enchilada sauce, a BIG jar of Hatch chile salsa (not TJ's but another brand that was all chiles, no tomatillos) and another jar of green salsa that was predominately tomatillos with a little jalapeno thrown in for good measure and a large can of diced green chiles. Yeah, it was pretty much all a "cheat" as I didn't want to start from scratch today. Let it cook another 10 minutes on High, let the pressure drop, and added a slurry of masa harina and water to thicken it up just a tad. Now it's sitting on Warm with the glass lid on, which keeps it at about 166*, til dinnertime. Might get real industrious and go make some corn tortillas though!

Back