What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekend: NE style clam chowder per a family recipe.

Two nights ago: roasted a chicken for the first time in prep for last night's dinner. Used the carcass and bones after carving/maiming along with some celery and carrot to make chicken stock overnight in the crock pot.

Last night: casserole (my first ever) with chicken-stock rice, sauteed carrot, celery, onion, and mushrooms, roast chicken, the rest of the clam chowder, and a can of cream of chicken soup, topped with mozzarella in the last fifteen minutes.

Coming up: slow-cooker pork shoulder (for pulled pork) in coffee IPA with brown sugar, with some oldish apples and an onion and various whole spices for character.

If only it was covered.

This weekend: NE style clam chowder per a family recipe.

Can I be family? :mug:

OT: reheated food. Win!

The clam chowder recipe's pretty simple as long as you can make a roux (which I botch pretty much every time...). I'm sure it's got specific numbers in the recipe, but basically you chop some celery, a few potatoes (I like a lot of potatoes in my chowder), optionally carrot, onion, and/or (my favorite) corn. Dice a clove or two of garlic as well. Simmer the chopped veggies in just enough water to cover them (I add some italian seasoning as well) while you cook some bacon. Pull the bacon and make a roux with flour and the bacon grease (can optionally add more grease and/or butter for the roux), chop the bacon and some clams (the family recipe is one can - I think 16 oz with the juice - but since I can't get them easily in China I buy local river clams in-shell and prep them myself), and toss them into the soup. Add a liter or so of milk and/or cream, then once it's hot (don't let it boil) you mix in the roux and keep it warm but not bubbling for ten to fifteen minutes to thicken up a tad, then you're good.

I think you forgot to mention something starting with "B";)

Lost me on that unless you meant Beer. But that's not part of the pork unless you think the beer in the cook is part of the pork, which would indeed be true.

I could be wrong but

bacon.001.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

looks amazing already. Can't wait to see the final results.

Lost me on that unless you meant Beer. But that's not part of the pork unless you think the beer in the cook is part of the pork, which would indeed be true.

To paraphrase a great cook, I always cook with beer. Sometimes it even goes into the food!

:)

If only it was covered.

The clam chowder recipe's pretty simple as long as you can make a roux (which I botch pretty much every time...). I'm sure it's got specific numbers in the recipe, but basically you chop some celery, a few potatoes (I like a lot of potatoes in my chowder), optionally carrot, onion, and/or (my favorite) corn. Dice a clove or two of garlic as well. Simmer the chopped veggies in just enough water to cover them (I add some italian seasoning as well) while you cook some bacon. Pull the bacon and make a roux with flour and the bacon grease (can optionally add more grease and/or butter for the roux), chop the bacon and some clams (the family recipe is one can - I think 16 oz with the juice - but since I can't get them easily in China I buy local river clams in-shell and prep them myself), and toss them into the soup. Add a liter or so of milk and/or cream, then once it's hot (don't let it boil) you mix in the roux and keep it warm but not bubbling for ten to fifteen minutes to thicken up a tad, then you're good.

Nice! Soon to come at the house!

I could be

but

View attachment 315161

maxresdefault.jpg

looks amazing already. Can't wait to see the final results.

...Gahhh......

Baaaaaacon!

And B is for brown bread, Boston baked beans, a bunch of bananas and a basket ball, a beef burger burnt till it's black oh boy, and bubble gum chewed with joy. Or something close to that! Lol

I cooked it like I did the ribs, with the metal bit holding the coals over on one side. It was not getting enough radiant heat, so I finally removed the metal then it browned up nicely. All in all it was on the grill about 2.5 hours which would be death for a tenderloin, unless you wrap it in BACON!! It was moist and delicious. I'm cooking this one again for company next time! The herb roasted Yukon golds are always great.

Went full student and did a cupboard cleaner. No picture since it looks like the bad kind of kanteen food tbh, but it actually tastes pretty darn good.

Cooked rice in coconut milk seasoned with broth cubes, added piri piri chilis, onion, Da Bomb hotsauce, canned chopped tomatos, pinto beans, bayleaves, pepper, applecider vinegar, and oven roastes butternut squash.

So basically a coconut, tomato, rice, bean, and butternut squash chili stew-ish thing. Shockingly rewarding taste.

Went full student and did a cupboard cleaner. No picture since it looks like the bad kind of kanteen food tbh, but it actually tastes pretty darn good.

Cooked rice in coconut milk seasoned with broth cubes, added piri piri chilis, onion, Da Bomb hotsauce, canned chopped tomatos, pinto beans, bayleaves, pepper, applecider vinegar, and oven roastes butternut squash.

So basically a coconut, tomato, rice, bean, and butternut squash chili stew-ish thing. Shockingly rewarding taste.

Sounds pretty darn good!

Da Bomb is the stuff. I heaved due to that one time. Ground Zero will level your world.

Florida. The only way to get it now is dried or grow it yourself.

There was some sort of sanitary issue in Mexico (involving toilet paper in the cilantro fields). I thought the shortage was everywhere.

That or some of us probably have e coli now.

Agreed. ....yogurt and curry?
Ohhhh, good thinking. With some lemon zest, coriander (cilantro), touch of mint maybe...I will do that soon, thanks!

Da Bomb is the stuff. I heaved due to that one time. Ground Zero will level your world.
Yeah, really good stuff. One of the two hottest sauces I have atm. I also have Blair´s Jersey Death (now know as Ultra Death). Compared to Da Bomb it is not as immediate in its heat, so you eat more and then as it starts to really kick in you already have had too much. Similar to Piri Piri, but worse.

Now I have a good hit upfront and then the piri piri comes in and sustains it nicely. Really tasty that.

Oh and I of course also have stuff like Ghost chili flakes.

Also have a tasteless clear hotsauce designed for drinks. Weird stuff to be done with that one.

You need to move to Boston.

Which, let's face it, is a great idea on so many levels.

Indeed....chance for Trillium and Tree House? Man I´d kill to get some here in Europe.

And for cilantro...grow your own man. I have fresh rosemary, basil, cilantro, sage, thyme, and chives growing in pots on my windowsill. Totally worth it, especially the basil.

My Cilantro grew like crap. May be how far north I am, but it grew stunted.

On a more pleasant note, I made Hot Pepper Jelly last night. It seemed to have set up just fine this morning. Haven't cracked a jar yet.

On a more pleasant note, I made Hot Pepper Jelly last night. It seemed to have set up just fine this morning. Haven't cracked a jar yet.

If it makes you feel better, we've had almost no luck with cilantro, despite trying to grow it every year for the last 4 years.

...but we might just be **** gardeners :p

Well I am 55 degrees north and mine works...so you must be at least in mid canada or something. ;)

I have more issues with my parsley right now. Not a great gardner myself. Rosemary seems foolproof though.

You do have one or two decent beers there. Just sayin'

Definetly so, more than a few world class beers. However, that top tier of IPA just has not been cracked. We have some people, like Amager and Omnipollo, who can compete with most great US IPAs, but the east coast greats are unreached.

Still, being able to order a Westy 12 for 10 bucks online is great, and stuff like Yellow Belly Sundae and many others are pretty darn awesome too.

Plus 4 Mikkeller places plus the Mikkeller / Three Floyds brewpub being around half an hour away is...well, dangerous for the wallet.

I just got finished making some beef & barley soup. I forgot to take pics of the process (I never can remember, one of the reasons I would make a terrible teacher at anything) but here's the final product:

002-66397.jpg

Recipe:
1-1/4 pound "stew beef" (I use chuck roasts), diced fine
1/2 C chopped onion
1 C diced carrots
6 oz mushrooms, diced
butter or oil
1 C dried barley
1 medium-sized bay leaf
2 Qts beef stock
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

In a soup-pot or Dutch oven, saute onions, mushrooms, & carrots in oil until sweated & starting to take on colour. Remove from pan. Add beef, brown, and then add all ingredients to the pot. Simmer until beef is tender and/or barley is soft. (Chuck usually takes an hour or so, plenty of time for the barley to cook.)

I had no mushrooms for this batch, and it is definitely missing the special earthiness that 'shrooms give.

Back