What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made Chicken Chili last night. Made it more like a stew/chili than soup. It was good with chips!

Sweat onions in butter (I actually sautéed them this time)
Fry some bacon strips in a pan. Set aside.
Slice Chicken breast to half-thickness and fry in the pan. When cooked through, pull to the side.
Add a couple of TBSP flour and 1 packet chicken chili seasoning and stir.
To the onion mixture add 2 cans white bean (northern beans), 1 can black beans, 1 can sweet corn, and 1 can Rotella diced tomatoes with chilis. stir well
Add just enough water to get the consistency you want.
Slice each piece of chicken once or twice and shred. Chop bacon.
Add chicken and bacon to pot and stir.

Grilled shrimp and green papaya & daikon salad.

IMG_20150925_192840.jpg

made a 3 kg piece of pork belly in the oven during the night, asian bbq style...soo good.

Basically pulled pork, but done in a folded alu. foil bag.
2 table spoons sugar
2 table spoons salt
1 table spoon smoked paprika.
2 tea spoons sichuan peppers
1 tea spoon star anise
1 tea spoon ground dried thai chili.

half as a rub, half mixed in the liquid afterward, otherwise just in the oven at 120 degrees c for 8 hours... falling apart good.

Pork belly makes awesome pulled pork... OMG, it's so good...

*drools*

I want to get a pork shoulder and make the classic Latin-America style pernil. Just thinking about spicy pork cracklin's makes me want to cry in joy...

...thing is, for the past two weeks, I have been restricting my calorie intake, and I have lost 12 pounds. To me, that's a lot, esp. in 2 weeks time, as I was only around 210 before. So, all this food I want to make, but if I want to make it back to 180, I can't make this... some things, eating in moderation wouldn't be worth making.

*pulls hair*

"They" say nothing tastes as good as being skinny. "They" have never eaten really good food, I think...

*LOL*

I'm prepping stuff for the eclipse party tomorrow night. This is a roasted jalapeño pico de gallo.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443313522.081000.jpg

I finished the little cheese cake flans earlier and they are in the fridge. This was the caramel in the bowls before I backed the flan.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443313599.172827.jpg

My big golden doodle is neither helping or watching for bits to hit the floor!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443313708.795418.jpg

Pico doesn't have all the juice in it. When we were in SoCal, the difference between salsa & pico was all the juicy stuff. The restaurants down there, like El Polo Loco, had condiment bars with big pans of pico, salsa & guacamole.

Pico doesn't have all the juice in it. When we were in SoCal, the difference between salsa & pico was all the juicy stuff. The restaurants down there, like El Polo Loco, had condiment bars with big pans of pico, salsa & guacamole.

This is Texas. Not unusual for pico to be marinated in some lime juice. And the only juice is the lime juice and juices that leached out of the tomatoes while it was sitting. It looks like a lot more liquid than there is because I barely fits into the bowl and I packed it in forcing the juice all to the top.

Tasted it this morning and it's really good having sat in the fridge over night. First time I have made it with roasted jalapenos. The little bit of smoky flavor is great!

Braised lamb ribs with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and balsamic glazed brussel sprouts.

View attachment 305810

Very tasty but the ribs are like 80% fat. Moist but ugh.

View attachment 305812

I'll make again but will choose a different seasoning, and a method that will render more fat. It's like eating lamb pork belly.

Well, the taters and the little sprouts look fantastic! I love lamb, but I agree that if too fatty I don't like it either.

Jammed with leftovers, which is one of my favorite things to do. Had some spaghetti left, so I thought, hey, why not make some nested eggs? So I buttered and spiced them, made nests in a muffin tray, added an egg, and backed them. Tasty.

DSC04678.jpg

Jammed with leftovers, which is one of my favorite things to do. Had some spaghetti left, so I thought, hey, why not make some nested eggs? So I buttered and spiced them, made nests in a muffin tray, added an egg, and backed them. Tasty.

Amazing

Those are just cool!
Cheers guys.
Really easy to make too besides the timing, which is a real b*tch. Might make em again and add some parts. I think some chopped greens mixed in with the spaghetti would be great together with some parmesan.

Now imagine if I had these down and presented them more nest like with more greens and maybe some twigs...

In case someone ever has left over spaghetti and thinks to recreate these improvised things some things I learned:
-Swirl the (al dente) noodles in some melted butter and a touch of olive oil
-Add some kind of heat. I like chipotle for the smoke kick. Some pepper too.
-Some greens. Whatever you feel like really. Spinach and sage should do brilliantly though.
-Season well, the egg absorbs a good bit still.
-Add 1/4 of grated parmesan.
-Swirl the noodles round a fork, into the tray, make a little mold in the middle. -Add 2/4 of grated parmesan and once the egg is in add the last quarter and put in the oven.

Baking time is the hard thing. I am doing around 8min @ 200C right now, but it is hard to figure out. I want to hit the point where it is ca. 50% custard and 50% runny. More to come with the hearty tarts. Though in the end trial and error for each oven is needed I recon.

Cool simple leftover use that can look bloody fancy rather easily and is not much of a challenge. If I had a pub I could see this as a breakfast items once I got the details down. Or part of a multi course dinner.

I found fresh pork hocks at the store today, never cooked with them, so what to do with them?
I setteled on braised hocks and to speed it up I pulled out my pressure cooker which has been unloved for far to long.
Long story short the hocks fell apart so it evolved to a pork stew, not any pork stew, the finest pork stew I have ever had:D
The sauce is such as your lips would stick together, this will be repeated!View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443397240.320186.jpg

Cheers guys.
Really easy to make too besides the timing, which is a real b*tch. Might make em again and add some parts. I think some chopped greens mixed in with the spaghetti would be great together with some parmesan.

Now imagine if I had these down and presented them more nest like with more greens and maybe some twigs...

In case someone ever has left over spaghetti and thinks to recreate these improvised things some things I learned:
-Swirl the (al dente) noodles in some melted butter and a touch of olive oil
-Add some kind of heat. I like chipotle for the smoke kick. Some pepper too.
-Some greens. Whatever you feel like really. Spinach and sage should do brilliantly though.
-Season well, the egg absorbs a good bit still.
-Add 1/4 of grated parmesan.
-Swirl the noodles round a fork, into the tray, make a little mold in the middle. -Add 2/4 of grated parmesan and once the egg is in add the last quarter and put in the oven.

Baking time is the hard thing. I am doing around 8min @ 200C right now, but it is hard to figure out. I want to hit the point where it is ca. 50% custard and 50% runny. More to come with the hearty tarts. Though in the end trial and error for each oven is needed I recon.

Cool simple leftover use that can look bloody fancy rather easily and is not much of a challenge. If I had a pub I could see this as a breakfast items once I got the details down. Or part of a multi course dinner.

Ooh, what if you lined the bottom of the baking cup with a round of sausage?

:ban:

Ooh, what if you lined the bottom of the baking cup with a round of sausage?

:ban:
Since I am a veggy I would not do that. However, If I were not I would rather line the muffing tray with bacon. One around, a piece for the bottom. If you want to go all American you might even add finely chopped & fried bacon to the spaghetti mix. Fried chorizo might also do.

Not sure about the rendering of the bacon fat though. Might want to consider pre-baking the bacon "mold" for five or so minutes to get some pre rendering on the fat. Basically fry it 60% and then add the the noodles, which would a touch less fat then.

That way this could be more glorious for meat eaters.

Didn't have much time to cook this weekend...Father In-Law's 80th birthday party for a big group of friends and extended family. I made a few cheese trays and SWMBO did veggie arrangements. Brother In-Law did fried wings, good quality hot dogs from the grill with chili and other fixin's. Good time...despite the rain cramping our style a bit. No broken hips. (And a few folks got to try a couple of my brews.) Today was a lazy, sleepy day.

Haven't been able to cook for a week and it has been killing me. Made up for that yesterday though :D

Smoked pork butt (kitchen aid made short work of it, even though internal temp was only about 170. Hats off to whoever thought of that one), collards, sweet potato (smoked all day with the pork. It was wrapped in foil so not much smokiness but it was cooked perfectly the whole way through), and some homemade bread (from instant yeast :( I'll need to bring up my starter again).

fd.jpg

The eclipse party came off well. I had everything done, pico, flan, guacamole, Cream of Roasted Jalapeno soup, and Mexican street corn prepped and ready to grill, really early for me, and then came THE ENCHILADA RECIPE FROM HELL!!! :eek:

I really should have read this recipe THOUROUGHLY before waiting so long to cook it! You start by browning a cup of flour in a dry skillet. You set that aside. You brown ground chuck. You set that aside. You brown the onions, poblanos, and garlic. You add in the crushed tomatoes, season a bit, and reduce that. You add in the cumin and chili powder. You put the beef back in. You put the flour in.

You are thinking this has got to have some liquid in it because its just a paste. So you read the stuff you glossed over. Indeed it does have liquid in it. 80 ounces of chicken stock whisked into the mix! I knew I had bought it for some reason.

So of course the giant skillet is no longer big enough to possibly hold that, so you go get the huge Cruset. Well, it's in the sink with Vindaloo stuck to it, so you frantically scrub that pot. As soon as you get back to the cooking, the propane runs out, and all your other bottles are empty, so you move back into the house.

After you have added the chicken stock and brought it back to a boil and simmered it yet again, you have to strain it! The solid bits go in the enchiladas and the liquid is the sauce.

You are not ready to make enchiladas yet though. You have to individually fry 20 something corn tortillas for 20 seconds each. Luckily my daughter did that and I put enchiladas together as soon as each tortilla cooled enough to handle.

The worst part of the story is that they were really really really good! I will probably be doing it again since my wife loved them!

Here they are going in the oven and a picture of the Cream of Roasted Jalapeno soup. No picts of them when they came out.

Enchilada Recipe from HELL.jpg

Cream of Jalapeno Soup.jpg

Yup, they'll dang sure ruin the flow of your day!:drunk: I've got a couple handfuls of trinidad scorpions, with some ghosts & fatalii's, if wife ever gets the bottles ready.

Ribeyes on the grill. I like steak with just s+p, but this rub (second time making it) is almost perfect for thick steaks like this. It's ground coffee, cumin, chili powder, s+p. My wife didn't want spices on hers, so that's the skinny one there.

Sometimes it's almost impossible to get plated pics. My wife and oldest son (home from college for the week) were staring out the window with imploring (when?) eyes. I did take an action pic of them gobbling though :)

_mg_1014-66169.jpg

_mg_1016-66170.jpg

_mg_1024-66171.jpg

Ribeyes on the grill. I like steak with just s+p, but this rub (second time making it) is almost perfect for thick steaks like this. It's ground coffee, cumin, chili powder, s+p. My wife didn't want spices on hers, so that's the skinny one there.

Sometimes it's almost impossible to get plated pics. My wife and oldest son (home from college for the week) were staring out the window with imploring (when?) eyes. I did take an action pic of them gobbling though :)

_mg_1014-66169.jpg

_mg_1016-66170.jpg

_mg_1024-66171.jpg

I see a son and daughter in the pic.... Where is the wife? :fro:

Nice meat!

Urm... Banana shrimp?

Did a dutch baby tonight; basically an oven pancake. Pretty good. Bacon inside. Green apple and syrup for the masses, sauted greens, cheese, jalapeño and tomato for me. No pic, apparently didn't happen.

Back