What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a proper dutch person, I love deep-frying.

My favourite is to coat chicken breast strips in spiced/salted flour, dip in egg, then bread crumbs and deep fry.
Serve with sweet-chili sauce.

Make a peppery white gravy from the pan drippings instead of using chili-sauce, and you have what we Americans call "Chicken-Fried Chicken."

:)

When it gets just a little cooler, I will make some of my beer 'n cheese soup! I can even get & use Brooklyn Brown, just like I did in the restaurant in NYC.

:ban:

Easy day doing another one of my lentil soups. Bit more hearty (chipotle among other things) and a lot more hot. You´d think after all these years I´d have a feeling for heat. Now I´ll be doing some more cilantro flatbreads tomorrow to soak up the burn.

Also started to do some cocktails after being in a brilliant bar which has awesome craft beer, draft cocktails, and mixes cocktails, some of which contain beer. Their take on a White Russian is the single best thing I have been drinking in months and the best cocktail I ever tried.

With pumpkin season coming up there will be a lot of that goodness cooking for me. Hyped!

I had a couple leftover pieces of the smoked hoisin chicken & a few things in the fridge that I needed to use up, so soup seemed to be in order. Coated the bottom of the pot with dark sesame oil & simmered the chicken in some chicken stock about 20 mins & let it cool. Pulled the meat off the bone, put it back in the pot & added baby carrots, celery, scallions, crimini mushrooms, a clove of garlic, about a tablespoon of red miso, a 1/2 handful of dulse, sweet basil, a dash of thyme, a dash of sage, a bay leaf, about a teaspoon of rosemary, a few twists of fresh ground black pepper, several shakes of tamari soy sauce, a teaspoon of hoisin sauce & simmered another 20 mins or so.

I've been doing the low carb thing, but decided to splurge with some bread. I'm not much of a baker, so I bought some nice, freshly baked "NY Rye" artisan bread. It had a nice amount of caraway seed baked into it, a tough (but not too tough) crust & was quite tasty. Certainly not a fancy meal, but tasty, healthy, easy & fairly cheap.
Regards, GF.

csoupbread.jpg

I tried using my Blichman burner with my Dutch oven to make chili. Turned out delicious but the burner has to be turned down so low any wind blows it out but it's the only burner I have that heat the whole bottom of my 20qt Dutch oven so I guess it's time to build a wind shield...View attachment 304669

As you probably know if you have read much of this thread, I cook on my beer burner all the time! I had the same problem with my banjo burner, but I build a sheet metal wind screen for it. No danger of blowing out, but it concentrates the heat more and I have to turn it down even lower than before! (But just awesome for beer now!) I still can get a decent simmer on it, but the on Cajun burner I have, if I remember correctly the KAB4, the burner is about 4 inches below the bottom of the pot.

Good luck with the wind screen and post a picture of it when done!

I tried using my Blichman burner with my Dutch oven to make chili. Turned out delicious but the burner has to be turned down so low any wind blows it out but it's the only burner I have that heat the whole bottom of my 20qt Dutch oven so I guess it's time to build a wind shield...View attachment 304669

I forgot to add that the chili just looks fantastic!!

I will definitely post pics here, but if anyone wants to try it before I do (still a little warm for soup here in NC) I will list the recipe now:

Beer & Cheese Soup

1 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 1/2 cups diced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups beer (darker is better than light, I use Brooklyn Brown myself)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
4 cups milk or half and half
6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
popped popcorn, for garnish (opt)

In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Stir in hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and beer; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk; cook, stirring until the flour is light brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in milk, whisking to prevent scorching, until thickened. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in cheese, one handful at a time. Keep warm.
Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Adjust for hot pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes. Serve topped with popcorn.

Didn't get pics, but made a big pan of kielbasa & sauerkraut with caraway seed & black pepper, then topped with diced stewed tomatoes & green chilis. Allowed the kraut to caramelize while the potatoes baked. The caramelized kraut is bloody good! Washed it down with a Rebel IPA.

My Saturday night home alone supper was 3 eggs over easy with a small can of Bean and Weenies dumped on top. Sad, I know. I just don't like cooking for one person even if it is me. So, it was sad...but it was also pretty tasty too.

Cooking for one person isn't that bad. I usually make enough for 3-4 people and eat leftovers so I am not washing the same pot/pan every night.

Dark meat chicken & ground beef hold up the best as leftovers, FYI. White meat chicken turns bad too quickly and pork always has a funny flavour to me after being warmed up - my BBQ being an exception due to the vinegar sauce.

My fave - Take the aforementioned boneless/skinless chicken thighs & put them flat on a baking pan, rub olive oil on them, then spice them up. I tend to go for spicy/hot but whatever, really. Bake at 350° F. Meanwhile, make a pot of white rice with chicken stock instead of water, add a little turmeric (for colour) and spices (I go for heat). When the rice is done, your chicken should be as well. I make a mound of rice, a chicken thigh on top, drizzle over some of the pan juices, and whatever else you might have for vegetation goes in the plate. Simple, cheap, easy, relatively quick, filling, and I usually bake three pieces of chicken so I get three meals out of the whole dish.

My Saturday night home alone supper was 3 eggs over easy with a small can of Bean and Weenies dumped on top. Sad, I know. I just don't like cooking for one person even if it is me. So, it was sad...but it was also pretty tasty too.

Hmm... the weenies are a poor substitute for black pudding, but throw some bacon rashers on there and a grilled tomato slice, and you have an American-English breakfast!

Now I am getting hungry...

:(

I'm down to cooking for two now myself. 3 kids in college.

My wife is a BIRD. She goes to the gym in the evening, and I cut up some romaine and strips of chicken or steak or fish to go on top of it. But it's pretty simple cooking for a bird.

I will definitely post pics here, but if anyone wants to try it before I do (still a little warm for soup here in NC) I will list the recipe now:

Beer & Cheese Soup

1 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1 1/2 cups diced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups beer (darker is better than light, I use Brooklyn Brown myself)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
4 cups milk or half and half
6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
popped popcorn, for garnish (opt)

In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Stir in hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and beer; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk; cook, stirring until the flour is light brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in milk, whisking to prevent scorching, until thickened. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in cheese, one handful at a time. Keep warm.
Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Adjust for hot pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes. Serve topped with popcorn.

Thank you for posting this - I was gonna ask after I read your prior post! This sounds EXCELLENT.

Yep, college is $$$. Kids living and eating like kings and queens. At least they are doing well. In the not-so-distant future it will be payback time. Two of them coming home this weekend, can't wait.

I had 1 just get her political science degree and my baby is in her 3rd year working on her education degree, she wants to teach science to grade school kids(kill me) I should have just given them my bsnk account #s. Really proud of my girls they're amazing.

I had 1 just get her political science degree and my baby is in her 3rd year working on her education degree, she wants to teach science to grade school kids(kill me) I should have just given them my bsnk account #s. Really proud of my girls they're amazing.

It's a little surreal, but I love the quiet. You guys probably don't know this, but I work out of my house. So without kids here, it's highly unlikely I see other people besides my wife most days.

That's awesome. My two girls went into the military now are both in college pursuing careers in the health field. Uncle Sam is picking up 75% of the tab.

Beer & Cheese Soup ...

Thanks very much for posting this! I can't wait for it to cool off here so I can give it a try. Will be 94 again here this afternoon. Huff :mad: :mug:

That's awesome. My two girls went into the military now are both in college pursuing careers in the health field. Uncle Sam is picking up 75% of the tab.

Both of my girls are Ohio Air National Guard so Ohio picked up the tab for 100% of tuition. I "only" had to pay for food, clothing, on campus housing and a host of Other miscellaneous expenses. Still the tuition benefit is worth 10s of thousands of dollars.

Well, I bought chicken and I need to cook it. The wife says it's not too warm to make White Bean Chicken Chili. I'm assuming she means for tonight.

I *could* save it for tomorrow and put it in the crock pot for BBQ chicken too.

Bucatini Carbonara for lunch yesterday. Stuffed Beef Roll with peas and roasted Yukon Gold potatoes for dinner tonight. The beef was stuffed with panko bread crumbs, milk, egg, parmigiana reggiano, and homemade bread and butter pickles. The sauce is tomato sauce, red wine vinegar, and Dr. Pepper 10.

IMG_20150922_122825265.jpg

IMG_20150923_180218950.jpg

IMG_20150923_180232291.jpg

IMG_20150923_182656043.jpg

IMG_20150923_182955421.jpg

Bucatini Carbonara for lunch yesterday. Stuffed Beef Roll with peas and roasted Yukon Gold potatoes for dinner tonight. The beef was stuffed with panko bread crumbs, milk, egg, parmigiana reggiano, and homemade bread and butter pickles. The sauce is tomato sauce, red wine vinegar, and Dr. Pepper 10.

Both look fantastic! I love carbonara, and I am fascinated with the beef roll!

Both look fantastic! I love carbonara, and I am fascinated with the beef roll!

I had gone for a London broil sale, but all they had were the thinner cuts, so I decided to pound it out, throw together a stuffing, and I rolled itup and tied it. Browned it, added a little water to deglaze, tomato sauce and a shot of red wine vinegar. Then, because I had heard of people using cola, root beer, or Dr. Pepper in BBQ recipes, I decided to add some in this dish. Lowered heat and simmered for probably about 45 minutes. Could have gone a little longer, if I had time. Or could be adapted to Crock Pot. I got the idea from Italian Braciole (basically).

Vinegar and tamarind in. Now it becomes a braise for an hour or so. I need to fix my recipe I posted here a while back. Vinegar should have been in with the meat and spices overnight, but my recipe is wrong. Won't matter much if at all, but meat may have picked up more flavors and the acid would have tenderized it even more.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443142090.097803.jpg
So it's an hour long slow simmer now.

Back