What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally had a quiet weekend where I wasn't going non-stop. Yesterday decided to do turkey dinner with the chilly, wet weather - definitely hit the spot.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443981300.549277.jpg

This morning make a sausage & cheddar omelet with some more sausage on the side.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443981345.352794.jpg

And just put together a pot of chili to eat for lunch this week.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443981381.120893.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443981390.189066.jpg
(For homemade chili powder)
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443981410.591351.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443981417.358135.jpg
(Putting some old home brew DIPA to good use)

Masstoberfest was yesterday so I smoked up a ton of BBQ.
Two briskest went on at midnight

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443990893.052286.jpg

Two pork buts went on at 8 when I wrapped the briskest (should have gone on at 6).

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443991056.745840.jpg

It's not a BBQ without sausage.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443991173.223212.jpg

And the Masstoberfest Cup, with its current winner Yooper (15), surrounded by former winners Daddymem ('13), Melana ('14), the_bird and baby bird ('12) and Mort (NHWrecker - winner 2013)

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443991665.026930.jpg

Masstoberfest was yesterday ...

And the Masstoberfest Cup, with its current winner Yooper (15), surrounded by former winners Daddymem ('13), Melana ('14), the_bird and baby bird ('12) and Mort (NHWrecker - winner 2013)

View attachment 307547

Wow, the food looks great and thanks for the last picture! What a cool crowd to have together and it's just great for me to see faces for people I "talk" with almost daily. Thanks Paul!

Making a big ol pot of shrimp red curry.

20151004_174621-1.jpg

Brewed yesterday. All day because my stovetop doesn't boil a large batch as hard as I'm used to on my burner. I brewed extra so I can have some hop loss!

And during the boil I made up a batch of Zuppa Toscana for my daughter's boyfriend. She told me his dad is a homebrewer. His mom dropped him off at our house, my wife opened the door and his mom steps in and says, "I SMELL HOPS!"

Then she came into the kitchen to introduce herself and check out my homebrewing. If this batch recovers from the bonehead mistake I made, I'll have to share some.

We're brewing today, so dinner is leftovers - took the pressure-cooked pot roast, removed bones and extraneous "parts" and shredded up the meat, added it back to the mushroom gravy. It is now called "Beef and Mushroom Ragout" LOL and will be served atop panfried polenta rounds from a tube of ready-made rosemary polenta. Easy peasy and should be super good - things like that gravy/meat are always better a day or two later anyway.

Much the same here - I made a beef chuck roast in BBQ sauce yesterday with onions, potatoes, & carrots, baked it off in the oven for a few hours until falling apart. Tonight, I am shredding the beef, putting it in the sauce, and will make sandwiches. Crisp up the potatoes & carrots in the toaster oven, and call it a meal.

SWMBO is on a business trip, so those of us not allergic to shellfish, shrimp, and Sesame and that DO eat meat, are headed out for Chinese buffet. No cooking tonight.

Had some leftover chunky tomato sauce from making pizza, which was too intense and thick, so I diluted it with veggy stock and essentially poached two eggs in it. Good post 5k meal.

Tomorrow I´ll get my second batch of pizza dough going, this time including 3 grains, and, thank god, beer! Really high hopes for that one.

Also you´ll be pleased to hear that I have just written down the beta version of my hearty breakfast tart recipe! Will go over it tomorrow and put it on here within the next two days I recon. Can´t wait for you to try it and give me feedback. Some peer review should really push this one to the next level.

I have leftover slow cooker pork from a few days ago, so I decided to make a stew. Onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, butternut squash, canned tomatoes, canned corn, a little splash from an open bottle of mead, the rest of the pork juices from previous dish, cubed the pork, a little oregano, garlic powder, chili powder, and ground cumin. Wish I had some pasole...but no. Ah well. Kids probably won't eat it, so fridge overnight and have it for lunch the next couple of days...send some with oldest daughter to eat at work. Picture after I stir it later...not much to see yet.

I have leftover slow cooker pork from a few days ago, so I decided to make a stew. Onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, butternut squash, canned tomatoes, canned corn, a little splash from an open bottle of mead, the rest of the pork juices from previous dish, cubed the pork, a little oregano, garlic powder, chili powder, and ground cumin. Wish I had some pasole...but no. Ah well. Kids probably won't eat it, so fridge overnight and have it for lunch the next couple of days...send some with oldest daughter to eat at work. Picture after I stir it later...not much to see yet.

YAY IT'S BUTTERNUT SQUASH SEASON AGAIN!! The stew sounds great by the way!

Finally! The hearty breakfast tart recipe is here! I am not used to writing recipes so it´s a bit of a mess and too long, but hey, it´s something. Simpler than the length of the recipe makes it seem too. Really look forward to some of you trying these and posting the results. Feedback and improvements would be really nice. So yeah, enjoy!

Ingredients:
-6 medium sized eggs (at least. Extras are great if you damage a yolk). Best you can get is worth it, as the yolk on free-range is just more delicious.
-2 cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped. (If you can only get the dry kind either leave it out of use half a clove at most imho. This should not be garlicy in the harsh way).
-Walnuts
-Fresh leafy green (I prefer spinach, but season dictates)
-Fresh mushrooms (chantarelles rule for me, but, again, seasons. Needs some flavor intensity though.)
-Fresh herbs. Definetly sage & some parsley. Bit of thyme and some rosemary can also go a long way. Basil too for a lighter version.
-Premade puff pastry
-Mozarella (buffalo of course preferred, but not that important here)
-Parmesan (I´d say at least 12 months old, preferably 22, which is my sweet spot)
-Salt & Pepper (as I will mention again later the earthyness of tellicherry pepper and the sulfur of pink Himalayan salt are just perfect here)
-Chipotle (and perhaps habanero) chili powder
-Smoked paprika powder
-Shallots, finely chopped
-Proper butter

General process advice/notes:
-Prepare the pastry while the walnuts are in the oven and do the vegetables straight after, at the latest when the pastry hits the oven.
-If you have good produce there really only are two skills involved here imho: Proper use of salt as the culinary magnifying glass and separating the egg yolks without damaging them.
It is an extravagant recipe, but not an especially hard one. All about the details.

And don´t be like I often am and actually read the entire recipe before starting. Preparation is key here!

-Start preparing and laying out the stuff you need. Really. Do yourself that favor. ;)

-Preheat oven to 175C.
-Chop up walnuts.
-Place them in a tray, single layer, and toast them in the oven for 8(-10) minutes.

-Increase oven temperature to 200C.

-Meanwhile, take premade puff pastry and give it a good rub with smoked paprika and some chipotle powder. Also add a pinch of salt. Here we are looking for some base flavor and a hint of smoke in the final product.
-Flip it so the coated side is down and roll it up to a long roll. Having the spice outside is so much prettier.
-Cut in half and then each half into three parts.
-Set the pieces upright and flatten them with your hand.
-Put the pieces in a muffin tray and work them up the sides so they fill the mold fully, slightly going over the edges. The bottom should be the thinnest part without tearing it.

-Fry your diced chanterelles with some butter on a medium high heat. When they start to get color add garlic and shallots. Continue until pieces get to a golden brown.
-Reduce heat to not burn them and add the chopped spinach and herbs.
-Season with salt and some chili powder (I use a touch of habanero for a faint warmth), and saute covered for one minute. Then mix and go for another minute. Here you want to cook em and compact them.
-Remove them from the pan, add toasted, chopped walnuts.
-Also add a drop of good apple vinegar and mix well, as a touch of acid is needed to cut through and brighten the dish.
-Set aside.
-Once lightly cooled mix in small diced mozarella and a touch of good olive oil.
-Season to taste with salt and pepper.

-When you start the saute, put the pastry in the oven for 10min at 200C.

-Use a spoon to make better molds and push it up the side.
-Add the mix you prepared.
-Use a teaspoon to make a small mold in the middle.
-Add some freshly ground black pepper. I recommend tellicherry.
-Place an egg yolk in the mold. Save the white for another use, like an omlette.
-Season the yolk with salt. I recommend pink Himalayan salt as the sulfur content works brilliantly with eggs.
-Sprinkle it generously with grated parmesan. As much as you can get on there without it falling off works.
Using older parmesan seems to be key here. A young one does not convey nearly enough flavor. A 22 month old has been my favorite here.

-Place back into the oven, backing for 5-6 minutes. This is the part I am working out mostly. 5Min plus 1 min grill will be my next try.
You want the yolk to be runny still in order to coat everything once cut. Getting this perfect is the trickiest part of this recipe. However, balancing that with melting the cheese is tricky.
-Remove from oven, take them out with a tablespoon, sprinkle with a touch of chipotle for color & kick and place a sage leaf on top. Sage loves parmesan.

-Enjoy this pretty little wonder while its warm!

Extra notes:
-I consider 2 per person a good breakfast. Gives you what you need without weighting you down. These are somewhat dense and intense after all. So use that as a rule of thumb to start with.
-Fresh, good produce is as much key to this shining as proper seasoning with salt is. In essence this is a simple thing, so what you put in needs to be good to begin with for it to work. It does not use up a lot of produce either so please, if you can, go for the good stuff!
I´d even say make your own puff pastry, but I did that once and while it was great the work was not worth the payoff for me. I can see it being worth it if you do it more often though and get the practice in.
-Use the egg whites and other leftovers to make a frittata or an omlette. Delicious protein bomb.
-You will probably have leftover veggies which enables you to riff. Spinach frittata with mushrooms is glorious.

DSC02415.jpg

Since I am a veggy I would not do that. However, If I were not I would rather line the muffing tray with bacon. One around, a piece for the bottom. If you want to go all American you might even add finely chopped & fried bacon to the spaghetti mix. Fried chorizo might also do.

Not sure about the rendering of the bacon fat though. Might want to consider pre-baking the bacon "mold" for five or so minutes to get some pre rendering on the fat. Basically fry it 60% and then add the the noodles, which would a touch less fat then.

That way this could be more glorious for meat eaters.

Sorry, have been away for a while. Just caught up. If you are going to make the bacon bowls try inverting the muffin pan and then wrap the bacon around the outside of the muffin cups. Cook in the oven until crispy. Then you should be able to remove them and build the nests in the individual bacon bowls on a cookie sheet. Do put a cookie sheet or something under the muffin pan to catch drippings though.

Latest posts

Back