What can a 3kW element do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but I couldn't find the answers I was after by searching...

How well does a 3kw element work for a HLT and Keggle? Can someone with experience let me know if they can go to 10g batches with this set up or will it struggle with 5g. Any tips from those who have this type of setup would be appreciated. How long does your brewday take etc?

Cheers,
:mug:

I have 2 1500 watts elements in my keggle. Perfect for 5 gallons batches but no way you could boil 10 gallons with that. Do a search, there's a voltage calculator out there to determine what you need to boil x amount of liquid, it's an excel file...

I run 2 1500 watt elements and brew 10 gallon batches. Works just fine. Good boil. Never got dms in any judging, even for my Czech pils. Takes a little longer to get up to a boil than propane but my brewday is still only 7 hrs including setup and cleanup.

I run 2 1500 watt elements and brew 10 gallon batches. Works just fine. Good boil. Never got dms in any judging, even for my Czech pils. Takes a little longer to get up to a boil than propane but my brewday is still only 7 hrs including setup and cleanup.

That sounds pretty sweet. I don't really need to go up to 10g batches but having a baby means it can be really hard to fit brewing in at the minute. It would be nice to have the option, or at least the option for a corny and a case for Ron.

3k is the min i would do for 5 gal batches. I have two 1500 W elements in my keggle right now and never reach a good rolling boil without covering part of the top. I just purchased 2 1650 W elements for a little extra boost.

My boiler holds 50 litres to the brim and has a 3 kW element. I have boiled 40 litres in it (10 US gallons) but didn't hit my timings exactly. I would have liked a harder boil.

Edit: P.S. the boiler was insulated with reflectix.

I have one 3800 watt at 240v that rocks a perfect boil for 14/15 gal pre boil down to 12 gallon post boil in an uninsulated converted keg.

7 hours? :eek:

Are you fly sparging for 2 hours, or does it just take that long to bring 10 gal to strike temps, boil, etc.

My advice of the OP is go as big as you can. Certainly you can brew with 3000W, but if can swing 4500 or even 5500W (I assume 240V) then do it. My AG brewday is typically around 4.5 hours including clean-up for big beers - 1.075+ with a 4500W in the BK and HLT. And that's for a 75 minute sacchrification. Not uncommon to get two big brews complete in under 9 hours. :ban:

Not bragging - just saying that bigger is sometimes better. :fro:

Back