What beer did you want to really like but just didn't?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend was raving about Stella Artois, I don't get it. I would rather have MGD for a lager.

After enjoying Blue Moon, I expected I would love Hoogarden; blew $18 for a 12 pack and didn't like it at all. At least we can use the bottles for beers we don't like. And everyone has to admit; this hobby offers the best research projects in the world.

Wow!

Wow!!

Wow!!!

I hope Dude's vocabulary has enlarged over the last couple years..:)
I was most disappointed in Phat tire. I had heard so much about it, but it was like pure funk in a glass to me. The bar girl giggled and gave me a Boston Lager in exchange for free... Right nice of her.

Abyss (I had the 08 vintage) tasted like a decent RIS to me. Nothing special. I just don't get the hype behind this one. Give my an Old Rasputin and I'm set!

DFH 120. I had to force myself to finish it. disgustingly sweet.

allagash Curieux - I don't know what it was about it but it just wasn't good to me. maybe it was the bourbon barrel, maybe it was a bad bottle, whatever it was I was totally unimpressed. but if I see it on tap I'll give it another shot since it was one of the first barrel aged beers I ever had an maybe I just wasn't used to the style.

Innis & Gunn.

Wasn't BAD, but wasn't spectacular either. The girl at the checkout counter was raving over it, said that her boyfriend wouldn't drink anything else.

I just thought... meh. It wasn't the oaking, I'm not a big fan of oak in beer (or wine), but the problem was that the base beer just wasn't that interesting. Whatever Scottish ale they started out with, just seemed like it needed to be sweeter, even more malt-focused. The base beer just tasted like... well, beer. I was thinking/hoping that it would be maybe more along the lines of a wee-heavy.

The oak felt disconnected to the beer. Wasn't as smooth as promised. Tasted kinda hot, too, not sure if that was the beer or subliminal associations with the oaking (although it's not like I perceive oaked chards to be hot).

It certainly wasn't "luxurious" as they describe it.

Not a BAD beer by any stretch, but not up to the accolades I've seen thrown its way.

Well, it's not a beer I *hate*, but I was very disappointed in not sharing many people's enthusiasm for Prima Pils. I've been on a Pilsner kick lately (though truth be told, I only drink my own beer at home and only go out once a week or so) and had read/heard such great things about Prima Pils. It is definitely a high quality craft beer, but it tasted strongly of " hot" alcohol to me.

+1 on SA Cranberry Lambic and Cherry Wheat; both make me shudder. Also, the heavily spiced holiday brews. I'm all for special brews for the season (stronger, more body, etc.) but some of the spice levels are too much...

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene. Tried it during BJCP class. I hear its an acquired taste, but if I go the rest of my life without another drop of that sewer water I won't miss a thing. It's a Commercial Example so I tried to keep an open mind. Tried...

For the record, I'm willing to help out with any Barleywine you guys wish to get rid of. :D

To my previous post, I'll add: Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere.

I'm going to give it another chance, though. It may have needed some more time in the bottle.

Abita Strawberry Seasonal....Tasted like, well, remember when Old English 800 flavored malt liquor?

Lazy Magnolia Gulf Porter--Was really excited over this one but it seemed a bit bland to me. Kind of lacking body and mouth feel. Will try more though.

Bell's Porter - tasted like chocolate milk to me. I am willing to give this another try, I think I was drinking it too cold.

Sprecher RIS - tasted like caugh syrup to me. I am willing to give this another try, I think I was drinking it too cold. Actually, I did let one bottle warm up to 42 before I started drinking, and it became very pleasant.

Most Belgians.

Double Bastard Ale by Stone brewery........I was thoroughly inebriated and still couldn't choke it down way way too harsh.

Dead Guy Ale. I thought the artwork on the bottle was cool and I liked the name. The beer? Not so much!

yeah i agree

i heard so much raving about how great that beer was and then i tried it and it was just typical ordinary ale - nothing special at all. not appreciably better than Michelob Pale Ale even -- just sort of 'meh'

Rogue Chocolate Stout. Heard so many good reviews, but I thought it tasted like watered-down chocolate pudding. Magic Hat #9 is another; tasted like cherry cola-beer

Bad Elf Winter Warmer.... I got a 1/4 of the bottle down after and hour and tossed the rest. Tasted like bad Bud with rotten apples. Also was not impressed with Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. I love hops but it just did not work for me.

Rogue Chocolate Stout. Heard so many good reviews, but I thought it tasted like watered-down chocolate pudding. Magic Hat #9 is another; tasted like cherry cola-beer
Perfect example of to each their own - I absolutely love both brews! (Happiness is when the Rogue Alehouse in SF has the Chocolate Stout on nitro... mmmm.... creeeeeeamy)

For me, I'm not a fan of Dogfish Head, period, especially their DFH90 - which seems to come up a lot, which surprises me given the kudos it seems to get. But in terms of a beer I *really* wanted to like but just didn't, I'd have to go with Colorfest from Durango Brewing. Actually, a fair few of their beers were, IMHO, not so great - but a really good friend of mine worked for them for a while, and claimed they were fantastic beers, with Colorfest his favourite beer of all time. Could be guilty of hyping it up too much, but when I tasted it, my immediate thought was "You think THIS is the best beer of all time?!?"

New Holland Dragon's Milk.

The bourbon was too harsh and kind of medicinal. It coated my mouth and I made funny faces. Others talk about how smooth and velvety it is. It is a blended big beer that would probably benefit from aging, so I'll try it again one day.

I'm sure it has been mentioned in this thread before but DFH 120 minute. I've probably drank 4 or 5 bottles of it over the years and it's just not my bag. Now, the 60 minute is one of my favorite commercial beers. I like the 90 as well.

+100 for barleywines.....especially SN Bigfoot.....bbblleeeechhhhtt........because of that beer I have realized that I am not a big hop head and started brewing alot of belgians with less hop profile.

I know this is heresy to some but...
This was absolutely true for me as well. I've been interested in good beer for probably more than twenty years. I "used" to think of myself as a hop head. With the beers that have come out in the last 5 years or so, I've come to realize my love of hops ended long before their hop schedule was complete. Also, and I realize this is nit-picky, but at some point, I think I decided I didn't like the type of hops being used in some of these brews. They were starting to taste downright acrid to me.:p

DFH 90 Minute IPA...just hop overkill to me.

I agree, but not because of "hop overkill." To the contrary, I don't even think this beer is bitter. I haven't enjoyed a single Imperial/Double IPA that I have had yet. They all seem to finish sickeningly sweet...like a bad cough drop.

I agree, but not because of "hop overkill." To the contrary, I don't even think this beer is bitter. I haven't enjoyed a single Imperial/Double IPA that I have had yet. They all seem to finish sickeningly sweet...like a bad cough drop.

West Coast.

Cantillion
I really wanted to like this, and at $17.99 for a 750ml I was hoping for heaven in a glass. I thought I liked funky beers (I love Orval, Rodenbach and Dutchesse) but this was like sucking on a lemon, sour.

Add another for the general Barleywine and RIS dislike, both are just too much

Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot Barleywine. I probably should have let it age for another year or so but compared to the rest of their lineup it just kind of disappointed.

First was Orval and, I've since found, most any sour beer.

Saison Dupont wasn't all that great either. Had a bit too much stinky feet funk for me.

Probably the one that stands out in my mind, and I'm sure this reflects poorly of my beer "taste", is Alesmith Speedway stout. I had not tasted a beer in quite some time (sad story for sure) when we visited Stone in Escondido. I decided to splurge, having read it was highly thought of. I'm sorry to say it was just too strong for me. After half a glass, I made some college age group very happy with my donation to their education.
I still feel pretty foolish about this and at some point I'll probably give it another try. As I get older, I just find myself gravitating towards more mild beers. If I wanted the heat of alcohol in a stout, I'd probably add everclear to my favorite beer.
This is not to badmouth Alesmith. I had a keg of theirs at my wedding and have enjoyed all the other styles I've tried.

I LOVE the strong and bitter beers (barley wines, IIPAs, Strong Scotch ales, etc). What I can't yet seem to appreciate is the sour beers. Maybe it's just that I love bitter so much, that sour seems somehow wrong, but I just can't seem to love them. Appreciate.. maybe. I don't hate them, I just don't find them as yummy as so many others do.

To the OP, I can't really cite a particular example as a beer that I wanted to like as it was the style, rather than a specific beer that was hyped to me and I just don't dig it.

I might get stoned for this, but after reading some of the reviews on HBT I decided to give Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale a shot. Keep in mind that I am a big Sierra Nevada fan (their Pale Ale is one of my favorite brews), so I was really excited to give this one a shot and figured Christmas Eve would be a perfect time to give it a shot. To keep it short.... it was more disapointing than the year I got no presents from Santa because I blew up the neighbors mailbox.

Tried Rogue's Chocolate Stout last weekend--I usually drink darks and stouts, and have liked other Roque beers. Couldn't drink it. Tasted like trying to eat a bar of unsweetened (bitter) baking chocolate --bitter burnt chocolate taste overwhelmed anything else.

I have had a lot of different types of chocolate (I make chocolate truffles on the side, usually with dark sweet chocolate) so its not that I don't like chocolate.

t

Tried Rogue's Chocolate Stout last weekend--I usually drink darks and stouts, and have liked other Roque beers. Couldn't drink it. Tasted like trying to eat a bar of unsweetened (bitter) baking chocolate --bitter burnt chocolate taste overwhelmed anything else.

I remember trying it years ago, I recall hating it and that it basically tasted like carbonated Hershey's Syrup.

Goose Island Bourbon Country Stout. I love Goose Island beers and I really wanted to like this as a special "celebration" type beer. Unfortunately it was way, way too over the top on the bourbon. Im going to age the last 2 and see if that helps, but I was very disappointed.

Latest posts

Back