What beer did you want to really like but just didn't?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DFH 120 and Fort. I was really looking forward to these two.

Also, Victory Wild Devil. I had high hopes for this one, but my brewery pints were less than good. I have 3 bottles I am going to age the crap out of. Hopefully they get better.

Sam Adams Double Bock. I didnt so much "want" to like as I wanted to finish the sixer I had without wasting the beer. I had that beer for over a year and would occasionally pop one open but could never finish it. Usually would end up pouring out half. Just poured out the last one a few days ago after a few gulps. Now I am completely afraid to try any other double bocks. Are they all like that one. It was so sweet and malty and almost had a vommit aftertaste.

The other one that I really did want to like was Bells Oberon. Not sure what I didnt like about it. Wasnt terrible but I wouldnt buy it again.

I wasn't a fan of all D Bocks either, and the first taste I had of Oberon was not great. That was years ago. Tried more a while back and actually kind of like it! One thing it's got going for it is that it's light enough that college age kids can drink tons of it and think that it's very fancy beer.

I wish I liked wheat beers. I've tried - bought a bunch of Germen wheats of various styles, several American versions. They all have a certain flavor I just don't care for.

The other is Fat Tire, only because when there is some sort of an event, this is the fancy pants beer. i just don't get it. It's one of the very least interesting ambers in the known universe.

Here's another take. What beer did you not want to like but did? Mine was (gulp) Bud Light Lime!!!! I can actually pretty easily drink any BMC but was surprised about the BLL. I'll politely wait for the flames now.

Kasteel Rouge.

Picked up a bottle about a week ago and gave it a shot. If cherries are your absolute favorite thing in the world, you might like it. It's like if you took cherries in heavy syrup, liquified it and added a couple shots of vodka. It didn't even taste like beer. Just cherries and hot alcohol. This had more cherry than cherries do. I could taste it three days later.

Here's another take. What beer did you not want to like but did? Mine was (gulp) Bud Light Lime!!!! I can actually pretty easily drink any BMC but was surprised about the BLL. I'll politely wait for the flames now.

Budweiser. before my craft infatuation and the subsequent abyss of homebrewing I found the beer to be vile. Now, in proper conditions, I find it to be delightful and is quickly becoming one of my favorite Amero-Belgian lagers.

That's tough; I like most craft beers. Exempting odd issues like a possible infection or age due to storage issues, I had a hard time thinking of one. Barleywines in general have never been a favorite, but I haven't had one in so long, that I should really give one a try before generalizing.

I guess if I had to pick one, it would be Sam Adams Triple Bock. It was ~1994-95, just as I was getting into craft beers. I split a bottle with two buddies and we just couldn't get exited about it. Just too sweet and port wine-like for us - at least at the time. It did come in pretty little blue bottles like this:

t8-samadams.jpg

Budweiser. before my craft infatuation and the subsequent abyss of homebrewing I found the beer to be vile. Now, in proper conditions, I find it to be delightful and is quickly becoming one of my favorite Amero-Belgian lagers.

Ditto for me. I love me some Budweiser at the right times -- golf, pool, lake... however I've always been able to drink it.
As far as wanted to like but didn't - most stouts. I'm a hop-head, and haven't been able to do much enjoying of RIS's

DFH Palo Santo Marron - There is this huge, wonderful story about aging in ancient wood and all that, but I couldn't really stand the taste.

It's OK. For me it was Millter Chill. I just despised the idea, but there was some ice cold at a party I was at and thought it was pretty decent. I haven't tried the BLL since Bud always tears me up the next day.

Fat Tire is fine. It is a good beer, but is not worth the notoriety IMO. Great marketing job on that one though.

There are great local beers at least as good or better in any good beer town, so I don't see the draw to FT.

Fat Tire is fine. It is a good beer, but is not worth the notoriety IMO. Great marketing job on that one though.

There are great local beers at least as good or better in any good beer town, so I don't see the draw to FT.

When it's put that way, I agree. It's definitely a bit over-hyped. However I also look at Fat Tire as a potential bridge for some people to go from BMC to craft brews.

When it's put that way, I agree. It's definitely a bit over-hyped. However I also look at Fat Tire as a potential bridge for some people to go from BMC to craft brews.
That's how I see it. It's definitely drinkable and I'll opt for it if the only other choices are BMC, Corona or Guinness, unless I'm in the mood for a Guinness.

I thought of another I just tried recently. Hop Stoopid. I can't say this is one of my favorites. Two words: grapefruit juice. If you like grapefruit juice, you'll be all over this stuff! And I love hoppy IPAs and DIPAs!

I would like to add Stone Pale Ale. I have only had it once but was expecting greatness coming from Stone and well it didn't deliver... to top it off it is way over priced.

Yeah, whats up with everyone automatically think that Stone and Rogue make nothing but wonderful beers? Most of the stuff I've tasted from them was mediocre at best.

+1. I've never really warmed up very much to a Rogue or Stone anything.

Exception being Stone Double Bastard on tap. I thought that one was pretty good.

Yeah, whats up with everyone automatically think that Stone and Rogue make nothing but wonderful beers? Most of the stuff I've tasted from them was mediocre at best.

I will agree although I like a lot of Rogues beer by I have to admit that I am biased as I use to live in the NW.

Anyways, the one that gets me is the Hazelnut nectar one. Everyone raves about it but it tastes like they just added syrup... not for me.

Rogue Mom Heff. I was expecting a heff with banana and clove. It tasted like a belgian white to me.

Plus...barleywine! ugh...

I have to agree with the folks hating on Smithwicks..My buddy who has the palate of a goat, drinks Miller Lite all day loves the stuff:confused: I don't get the attraction..

Also there is a great Irish bar in Saratoga that serves nitrogen fired Guinness that is fresh, tasty yummy goodness, I could drink pints there all night.. But the local bar here has it on tap and they must use C02 and not sell it often enough cause it tastes like crap every time I go.. I get my hopes up every time but alas it just sucks there.. So I guess I do love Guinness but some vendors kill it...

My first extract brew was a Belgian Treble and I LOVED it..spoiled me for every commercial example since... :(

Also jeers to every brewer that doesn't condition an IPA enough... :mad:

Harpoon Summer Ale - Tasted like citrusy feet. I think my case was nearing expiration though...

Sam Adams "Cranberry Lambic" - Yeah, I just put that part in quotes now. I've since had real lambics, and while I'm still not a fan... I don't know what this stuff is. They are automatic dumpers when I get the holiday sampler....

I REALLY wanted to like NB Abbey Ale... very "blah". Like Duvel's "special" cousin.

I was expecting Red Hook ESB to be a lot better than it was... probably won't get that again. I didn't know it stood for "Extra Stinkin' Bitter" ... tooo "americanized".

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

DFH 60 minute was kind of bad to me when I first had it. I love the 90 minute along with the others, but not the 60.

Back