What are your thoughts (A little long)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
First, a little history. My family had been involved with the company I used to work for since it was founded, however we have never had any ownership. It changed hands from parents children, they forced my father who was president into retirement, hired an outsider to run the organization for what I think was the first time in the history of the company, and some of us were fired shortly thereafter. Prior to us being fired we were all promoted to newly created positions within the organization, and when we were let go they told us they were eliminating those positions. So, we were promoted to unknowingly be fired, and that was 2 1/2 years ago. The outsiders who were put in charge have been fired for poor performance, poor employee morale, and disagreements with ownership. Now, there seems to be stable leadership running the company, the company is flourishing, and things are better than during the previous administration.

After I was let go I decided to become a nurse and I graduate as an RN in December, and last week they have asked if I want to come back to work for them. The money and hours are likely to be better than nursing, good perks including travel, car, etc. But there will always be the lingering thoughts of what they did to me the first time there. I also feel like I've spent so much time learning the new profession that I owe it to myself to go that route. I've excelled in my classes and even made the national honors society for ADN nursing programs. This isn't the job decisions I expected to be making after graduation. What would you do or what are your thoughts?

Like you, I had 18 years with a company and through no fault of my own was laid off due to poor management. I floundered for a few years and eventually started a different career. About a year after I was laid off, they called and asked me to come back. I told them that if they were the only employer left in my town I wouldn't work for them EVER! The money and benefits would have been better but they burned the bridge, not me.
With every door that closes, another one opens.

The offenders have been pushed out, and it appears that the management is owning up to the fact that their actions were wrong and it was a mistake to treat you [and your family] the way they did.

The question is whether you truly believe that they recognize their errors and are committed to fixing them. You say the management changed from the parents to the children. Do you think the children have changed their ways, or at the very least have brought in managers who have enough control over the outcome that it will be better this time?

I personally am not one to hold a grudge unless I think it's likely history will repeat itself.

That said, you have a decision that you have to weigh two things:

1) Your personal / emotional connection and trust.
2) Your compensation / hours / benefits / etc.

It sounds like the old company would probably win #2. The question is whether that's enough for you to justify the concerns you have with #1.

BTW if they're just hiring you back to your old job at the same money, I'd say screw 'em. If you're not coming in at a higher level and making more money than when you were fired, i.e. just offered your old job back after 2 1/2 years, that's evidence #1 that they haven't learned their lesson.

Tough decision. Do whichever will be more fulfilling/enjoyable. Good luck.

Remember that nursing is a gratifying position- and a great career- but the hours usually suck, especially in acute care. Twelve hour shifts on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve, every other weekend (at least), mandatory overtime, and mandatory on-call for days that are overstaffed. There is a reason that burnout and poor health is a real problem among nursing staff (and paramedics and Respiratory therapists, both of which I was). It sucks for families when you miss Santa Claus, the Christmas program at school, family visits, etc, because of the working hours. Working nights is great for night owls, not great for spouses.

That said, there is career growth potential for management positions with a minimum of a BSN and many people love their careers long term. I worked at the same facility that changed management several times (healthcare is a business, and they are buying up stakes in many facilities) but I was there for 35 years.

Latest posts

Back