What are you studying/majoring in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was never a CFI, I went from flying a 182 on pipelines to flying a 310R and a Baron for a 135 operation. After that I was hired at an airline flying Saab 340's, now I am in the 170. I have about 7,000 hours at this point, 4,000 of which are flying part 121 airline ops. This is a pretty idiotic business, you can get hired with 500 hours and be passed over if you have experience... there is no hard and fast rule. In my first new hire class, we were all part 135 freight dogs looking for a "better" life.

Pol

The Pol said:
I was never a CFI, I went from flying a 182 on pipelines to flying a 310R and a Baron for a 135 operation. After that I was hired at an airline flying Saab 340's, now I am in the 170. I have about 7,000 hours at this point, 4,000 of which are flying part 121 airline ops. This is a pretty idiotic business, you can get hired with 500 hours and be passed over if you have experience... there is no hard and fast rule. In my first new hire class, we were all part 135 freight dogs looking for a "better" life.

Pol

Did you fly freight for Kalitta or Superior?

Electronics Engineering Techology. That's how I make my money, but I collect blue collar skills. I enjoy taking on tasks that other people have to pay to have done. Auto mechanics, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, farming, etc, etc....

It makes you the 'go-to' guy for all your friends. It also will come in very handy in the homebrew hobby!

I flew freight for Northcountry Aviation... I was based in KYIP down there in Detroit, toyed with the ideal of Superior or Kalitta, even USA Jet, but my job was pretty plush for a freight job, no pager....

Pol

I got my BA in Literary Studies (English) and Asian Studies in 2006, next year I'll be heading back for my MLitt or MSt in Old and Middle English Literature. Thrilling, I know, but at least almost all of the old stories more or less focus on beer. :D

Chairman Cheyco said:
There's a good chance you'll be able to get on with one of the big linguistic firms based in L.A. :p

Truth be told, I love linguistics. I have no idea what makes it so fascinating, but it really is. WTF?

I can't explain it, either, but I've always been fascinated with languages and how they work. I'd love to get into forensic linguistics, but few universities in the US have courses in it. Might have to be a self-study sort of thing.

Back