What are you studying/majoring in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desiderata

Reaction score
I know that a lot of us here are students of some sort. I would assume that there are a lot of Chemistry majors here, but I keep finding more and more Finance or Business majors as well.

Anyway, I've got a Bachelor's degree already in Accounting and Business Admin., and am now studying Personal Financial Planning for the CFP certification. I know, doesn't really help me much with brewing, but hey.

Anyway, what are you studying?

I'm 2 weeks away from my MBA in Technology Management. Some serious celebration is gonna happen 2 weekends from now!

I'm a managment major....hopefully I'll be graduating this summer and get my bachelors.

If things go right I'll be moving back to Austin for my MBA....not sure if I can get into UT though

in May I will be graduating with a Major in Comm. Studies, and a minor in CIS with an emphasis in graphic design and creative advertising. Then in July I am getting married!

Congrads aekdbbop! I'm slated to tie the knot in two years (man I've been engaged for a while now..)

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I am doing a PhD in Molecular Biology, should be defending my thesis this summer sometime.

Congrats. SWMBO did her Masters in Molecular Bio. Thats some impressive stuff! :mug:

I earned an Associates degree in Aviation Technology (commercial pilot's license) and was in and out of aviation for 10 years. After all but giving up on that career and getting a factory job, I'm now back in school for accounting. Every class I take is online and boy is that accomodating with my ever-changing schedule.

1.5 years to go when I start back in April. :mug:

Double major: International Business and German

So there are two degrees, but with a senior thesis and three more classes i can get another degree in international relations... does that make a trip-major? :mug:

Klainmeister said:
Double major: International Business and German

So there are two degrees, but with a senior thesis and three more classes i can get another degree in international relations... does that make a trip-major? :mug:

I believe it would make a trip major. Only three classes? Go for it!

I also minored in Deutsch. Can't remember much of it now, but it would all come back fairly easily if I studied a bit or traveled there. I learned Korean in the Army (got an associates degree for that), and makes me wonder why I even struggled to learn German in college! :confused:

orfy said:
Life..............

Yeah, pretty-much escaped the safety of educational institutions 8 years ago... Now it actually matters if I don't get my work done...

2639-canofwormssmall.jpg

:cross:

Graduated in December with my BA in Multimedia Arts & Science with a focus on interactive design. Once my wife and I move to her next duty station I'll start on my masters. Something in the computer design and programming area.

I have a BS in Computer Science, and currently have applications in at 13 schools for various MS and Ph.D. programs. Fingers crossed!

Medicine. I'm about 3 months away from my MD. Word to the wise: Avoid all hospitals on July 1 (that's when all of the new interns start).

Architectural Engineering. I have an associates in Sound Recording, and I hope to use the ARE degree to design recording studios and concert halls.

- magno

I have a BA in English/Linguistics, but I'm working on a programming certificate right now. I was working on a chemistry degree for a while, but I decided I didn't like lab work. I've come around on that since I could start drinking my experiments though. :tank:

Torchiest said:
I have a BA in English/Linguistics...

My favorite's the voiced interdental fricative ;)

I'm finishing up my English BA. I thought about focusing in linguistics, but went for creative writing instead. Should be done by summer... and then... it's off to the carpentry guild!

I think I'll hang my degree behind my historic restoration license.:mug:

rOland said:

I'm finishing up my English BA. I thought about focusing in linguistics, but went for creative writing instead. Should be done by summer... and then... it's off to the carpentry guild!

I think I'll hang my degree behind my historic restoration license.:mug:

Haha, I actually was working on a focus in creative writing, but I discovered I could be out a semester sooner if I switched to linguistics. After seven years, I was ready to be done. :fro:

ayrton said:
I have a BS in Computer Science, and currently have applications in at 13 schools for various MS and Ph.D. programs. Fingers crossed!
Best of luck -- you should be hearing soon, right? I'm getting a PhD in CS, in my second year now. PM me if you've want to chat about CS & higher ed.

rOland said:

I don't know... that retroflex tap is pretty cool :p

Getting my Ph.D. in linguistics (endangered languages and laboratory phonetics/phonology). I'll probably end up living in a cardboard box, but at least I'm doing what I love.

Never finished college, just flying for an airline and waiting for SWMBO to finish her nursing degree... then it is all gravvyyyy

The Pol

dancingbarefoot said:
Getting my Ph.D. in linguistics (endangered languages and laboratory phonetics/phonology). I'll probably end up living in a cardboard box, but at least I'm doing what I love.

There's a good chance you'll be able to get on with one of the big linguistic firms based in L.A. :p

Truth be told, I love linguistics. I have no idea what makes it so fascinating, but it really is. WTF?

Grease monkey.

I'm currently taking courses to be a mechanic. I've had enough BS stress in my AF career, I'm going to do what I want to do when I retire in 4 years.

I'm also taking the occasional business class...I want a business degree at some point--for other endeavors. And a backup plan.

Aviation Human Factors, Got the Private, & Instrument, working on the commercial then multi and probably CFI&II unless I can help it.

z987k, oh man I remember all of that! Good luck, enjoy it!

The Pol

Are you working as a pilot now? Where'd you go to school? What's been your career path so far?
I'm just always curious as all the options available as a pilot after I graduate.

I never finished college, went to the FBO for all of my ratings, flew pipeline patrols throughout MI for a year, single pilot night frieght for 2 years, been at the airline now for nearly 4 years. My previous background was in computer programming, which I did for 7 years. I am currenly flying the EMB170 for Republic Airways Holdings.

Pol

Six more months and I'll complete the requirements for my MBA, specializing in Finance and Database Systems and also for a Graduate Certificate in Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence.

The Pol said:
I never finished college, went to the FBO for all of my ratings, flew pipeline patrols throughout MI for a year, single pilot night frieght for 2 years, been at the airline now for nearly 4 years. My previous background was in computer programming, which I did for 7 years. I am currenly flying the EMB170 for Republic Airways Holdings.

Pol
Did they just throw you in the emb170 or step up? Were you ever a CFI or could you find a job without having to do that.

Reason i ask is it seams everyone here becomes a cfi for a few years to build hours before they can get a job elsewhere.

I am studying a double major in Psychology and Criminology (Why criminals comit crimes) thinking of becoming a Forensic Psychologist or even a profiler with ASIO...

:mug:

z987k said:
Reason i ask is it seams everyone here becomes a cfi for a few years to build hours before they can get a job elsewhere.

I know of someone who got his multi through ATP and then went on to instruct for them, building up enough multi time to jump into the airlines. This wasn't the typical instructing role, but was highly suitable for what the airlines want.

I was a CFI for a few years (single engine) and it is hard making a living as an entry level pilot. Don't take that as negative advise, just be prepared to make some sacrifices and you'll make it. I just wasn't willing to make those sacrifices after awhile--now I work in a factory and my friends are all captains.

Back