What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solid lager
PXL_20220210_030042120.jpg

Is that taste about the same as earthy, Columbus?

Peat is such a unique flavor you’ll never forget it when you get to try it. In the Scotch world it can give notes of smoke, bandaid, burning tires, a burning hospital, and a campfire on the beach. This is all depending on what distillery you try. I have a personal goal of making a peated beer, but still working on the recipe.

Peat is such a unique flavor you’ll never forget it when you get to try it. In the Scotch world it can give notes of smoke, bandaid, burning tires, a burning hospital, and a campfire on the beach. This is all depending on what distillery you try. I have a personal goal of making a peated beer, but still working on the recipe.
“Burning Hospital”. That’s a new one. Can’t say I ever heard that one before. I can just imagine someone saying “This tastes like a burning hospital.”

Hb’d Double NEIPA at 8.6%. Utilized a blend of my homegrown Columbus, Cascade, and Cashmere whole cone hops and a bit of Ella on the hotside. It was then fermented on 5 lbs of pineapple purée and Dryhopped with Sabro LUPOMAX and Galaxy
96CF147C-A08E-4EBE-83E7-80AAEE273D3A.jpeg

Hb’d Double NEIPA at 8.6%. Utilized a blend of my homegrown Columbus, Cascade, and Cashmere whole cone hops and a bit of Ella on the hotside. It was then fermented on 5 lbs of pineapple purée and Dryhopped with Sabro LUPOMAX and Galaxy View attachment 759030

Your hazies could possibly the beers that make me say I like hazies!

*I have never had tree house or trillium or other half so maybe I’ve just never had a great one anyway?

Your hazies could possibly the beers that make me say I like hazies!

*I have never had tree house or trillium or other half so maybe I’ve just never had a great one anyway?
Haha thanks man. Yeah everyone brews them now and probably only 5-10% nail them

Laphroaig has a very distinct smell and taste. Smokey and medicinal. I equate that to a burning hospital lol.

On topic:

View attachment 759040
I’ve been a volunteer firefighter on a rural department for over 40 years. I’ve probably responded to close to 100 wildland fires In that time and, after each one, I’m left with a smoky taste/aroma in the back of my mouth and sinuses. Scotch tastes, to me, like “18 hours at a grass fire”. I am not a Scotch drinker. I don’t think I’ve ever met another wildland firefighter who likes Scotch. I’d be willing to bet @camonick isn’t a big fan of Scotch, either.

How'd your homegrown hops turn out flavorwise?
They were all first year hops Columbus was the best yielder with just under 2 oz of dried weight. Cascade was just under half of that and the cashmeres yield blew big time lol. Maybe only 0.25 oz.

Columbus was dank and earthy but had some really nice citrus undertones. Cascade was exactly how you’d expect it and was just as good as any cascade I’ve bought. The cashmere was out of this world in aroma when I rubbed the cones. Pure lime zest and lite creamy peach. These smelt far better than cashmere I’ve ever bought. Wish it yielded better.

hoping next year I yield enough from all of them to do 3 different wet hop ales with them

They were all first year hops Columbus was the best yielder with just under 2 oz of dried weight. Cascade was just under half of that and the cashmeres yield blew big time lol. Maybe only 0.25 oz.

Columbus was dank and earthy but had some really nice citrus undertones. Cascade was exactly how you’d expect it and was just as good as any cascade I’ve bought. The cashmere was out of this world in aroma when I rubbed the cones. Pure lime zest and lite creamy peach. These smelt far better than cashmere I’ve ever bought. Wish it yielded better.

hoping next year I yield enough from all of them to do 3 different wet hop ales with them
A friend and I plan on trying our hand at hop growing. We've ordered 8 rhizomes, 4 Cascade and 4 Cashmere. Fingers crossed.

Back